May 8, 2014, 9:04 AM EST
Minnesota snapped Chicago’s six-game winning streak on Tuesday by scoring four unanswered goals in the third period. The Blackhawks still have a 2-1 edge in the second round series, but the Wild’s commanding win has given the team new life.
Still, Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane saw a silver lining in the defeat.
“Winning six games in a row, maybe we were a little overconfident in ourselves and Minnesota did a good job of making it a series last night,” Kane told CSN Chicago. “If anything, it’s a wake up call for us.”
Defenseman Johnny Oduya added that the loss has created a sense of urgency for the Blackhawks.
“We saw it in last series where I think for a lot of parts, they out-battled Colorado a lot,” Oduya said. “Yeah, we have to play better, that’s just the bottom line.”
Chicago beat Minnesota in five contests last year, but going into this series Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville emphasized that this isn’t the same Wild team.
That wasn’t always apparent in the first two contests, but the Wild have an opportunity to build off of their strong third period in Tuesday’s victory. Game 4 will take place on Friday and might mark the return of Minnesota forward Matt Cooke, who has completed his suspension.
- Devils fire DeBoer 5
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 8
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)