Suspension over, Cooke ready ‘to get back out there’

May 7, 2014, 1:19 PM EST

Minnesota forward Matt Cooke has finished serving his seven-game suspension for kneeing Colorado’s Tyson Barrie in the opening playoff round, and is eligible to return to the Wild lineup for Game 4 of their series against Chicago.

It’ll be very interesting to see if Wild head coach Mike Yeo opts to insert Cooke for Game 4, as the move would alter a lineup that yielded Minnesota’s best performance of the series (and its lone win.)

While Cooke’s been out, the Wild have rotated in spare forwards — Justin Fontaine and Stephane Veilleux, mostly — and in Game 3, Yeo seemed to find a nice fit on the third line with Eric Haula centering Fontaine and Matt Moulson. The trio combined to score the game-winner (Haula, on assists from Fontaine and Moulson) while racking up four shots on goal.

Here’s more on the Cooke situation, from various reporters embedded in Minnesota:

From the Chicago perspective, ‘Hawks players didn’t seem overly concerned about the possibility of Cooke drawing back in. Patrick Kane told the Sun-Times that Cooke “probably knows better now” about throwing dangerous and dirty hits.

Related

Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie

NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games

Poll: Did the NHL get the Cooke suspension right?

1. blue21c - May 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Matt Cooke is a SCUMBAG!!!!!!!!!!’

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Get over yourself, Priscilla, and go make me a sandwich, Biitch…

• no - May 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM

the level of discourse on this post immediately reaches Magna Carta-like quality

applause is in order, gentlemen. would all those above age 14 please join me?

*muckleflugga, elmerbrown, and blomfeld stand up momentarily before going in to tirades against kids on their lawns, vomiting as a consequence of a whiskey breakfast, and erroneously placing quotation marks around a jumbled self made description of an obscure Elvis video…respectively*

• purpleguy - May 7, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Maybe so, but he’ll be playing Friday when over 20 other teams and their fans are watching his games and throwing crap at their TV sets.

• greatmiamisportsmind - May 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Matt Cooke is playing

• imleftcoast - May 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM

So is Lucic, but apparently he can spear whoever he wants in the playoffs without getting a penalty or suspension.

• tved12 - May 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM

But what about his history? He must not have a history of doing anything like this if he didn’t get in any trouble from the league, right?

• antiqueff - May 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Couldn’t agree more. Cooke is a complete douche. Yeah, he said he changed his game. That lasted a couple of years. He must have thought everyone would forget about all the dirty hits and suspensions of the past. He has only succeeded in proving “once a scumbag, always a scumbag.” He should be banned from the NHL for life, before he ends someone’s career or worse, kills someone.

2. sabatimus - May 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Total fluff answer by Kane. No way he believes that.

• chanceoffleury - May 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM

He was just being politically correct. Especially when you’re not a physical player willing to drop the gloves, it’s best to keep your mouth shut. Whether what you’re saying is right or wrong is irrelevant. Not many guys get upset over somebody complimenting them; usually its a dirty and/or aggressive play that gets people talking. As the opponent, the last guy you want to piss off is somebody who’s not afraid to give you an elbow to the head or slewfoot you or something.

3. patthehockeyfan - May 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Like the hockey world will never stop mentioning Dustin Brown’s knee on Tomas Hertl, get ready, Cooke, to have your name mentioned in EVERY comment from now until the year 2019.

• sabatimus - May 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Yeah, especially on articles that are about Cooke.

• patthehockeyfan - May 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM

The article can be about the Bruins, and trust me, Cooke’s name will come up.

I’m not trying to start an argument. I’m a Kings’ fan, and I am more than accustomed to reading about Brown / Hertl just about everywhere. C’est la vie!

• patthehockeyfan - May 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM

P.S. See bwayblueshirt’s comment below @ 1:44 p.m.

• sabatimus - May 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Ok I saw the post; true. I don’t think the Cooke/Savard connection will ever die, much like Stevens/Lindros.

• 7mantel - May 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Pat,his name has and always will be mentioned whenever there is a dirty hit ! It goes with the territory .

• tved12 - May 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM

The difference is Cooke actually gets suspended for his dirty plays. Brown always gets off because he doesn’t have a “history.” It’s tough to get a history when the league refuses to punish you in the first place.

• strictlythedanks - May 7, 2014 at 7:38 PM

you hit the nail on the head there tved.

• c9castine - May 8, 2014 at 2:30 AM

boom.

4. McFaddensPulledHammy - May 7, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Keep your heads up and your knee braces on boys.

5. clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 1:41 PM

It’s Cookie time JUST IN TIME!

This next game will be an all-out clash to decide who takes the series. I can see why the Hawks seem a bit concerned. Yeo made the necessary tactical adjustments to take away their game and the team mostly executed on it. 19 shots by the Hawks. They aren’t used to being shut down in the neutral zone and stood up at the blue line and Cookie’s physical presence will be just another added asset…

• mackattack29 - May 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Lol cookie. I knew you were sucking his d*ck. But I didn’t realize you guys had gotten to the part of your relationship where you use pet names…

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Yeah–I didn’t want to have to tell you like this, big-mack, but that needle-d*ck of yours just isn’t gettin’ the job done no matter how much you’re rockin’ the pee-pee pump… :)

• McFaddensPulledHammy - May 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I hate to burst your bubble but IMHO the Hawks mailed it in last night. Sloppy passes, no jump in their legs, not getting back on defense were not a result of the Wild taking away their game. Did you notice that as soon as the game went to 2-0, Kane looked a little faster?

No offense, and this is not disputible, the Hawks have more talent than the Wild. It’s a matter of who can impose their will on the other team and I don’t believe the Wild can do that enough to win the series.

• spiciercheez - May 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Since 2003, Blackhawks have been held to 22 or fewer shots in a playoff game 7 times – 3 of those 7 times coming in this series…

Yeah, definitely nothing the Wild are doing……

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM

The Hawks have more talent–no question…but if it’s convenient for you to blame the loss on poor play by the Hawks and give no credit to the Wild for the obvious adjustments they made–then, by all means, rock the casbah, my friend. I only hope your team sees it the same way…

• sabatimus - May 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM

There are two extra letters at the end of your paragraph. Can’t figure out what they’re doing there.

6. 950003cups - May 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM

That guy needs to just go away. He does nothing for the game. Just causes havoc with dirty antics.

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Another butt-hurt little Priscilla. Physical contact where :::GASP::: someone might get an INJURY! Oh no–that’s dirty, dirty, dirty… Unacceptable. LOL Badminton–make it your game, Flex…

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Yes, because the only two choices are “anything goes” or non-contact sports.

Is it guilt because a player with history of dirty hits took out a key member of his playoff opponent, turning the tide in a series? Stop trying to rationalize this.

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 2:42 PM

To arrive at your position, you must conclude intent–that Cookie INTENTIONALLY attempted to injure Barrie. The bottom line is–anyone who objectively reviews the clip of that play would find that an absurd conclusion to reach. You’re simplistically merely emotionally reacting to the name on the back of the players sweater who finished the check.

Anything this side of a clear intent to injure–is a hockey play. Injuries happen. Get over it.

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Yes, “hockey plays” regularly warrant suspensions.

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM

By the way, it’s funny you should say, “Injuries happen. Get over it.”

I don’t recall anyone (or at least myself) calling for Stoner’s head for his hit on Shaw in which Shaw was injured. Could it be the fact that it was a hockey play? And that injuries do in fact happen?

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Yes–hockey plays do sometimes produce suspensions and often they are for nothing more than political reasons that the average fan has no awareness of. For example, there are numerous litigations pending from former players (concussions and others) The success of those suits in part rely upon a credible claim that the league didn’t do enough to enforce safety in the game and the league uses these high-profile situations with past violators as an opportunity to bolster the idea that they have *cracked down* regardless, in many cases, of whether an objective review of the actual hit justifies supplemental discipline. Welcome to why the Bickell hit and the Cookie hit generated mirror-opposite reactions from the league. Your welcome. ;)

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Yup…the Stoner hit is a perfect example to support what I’m saying. Since you are arguing the opposite, however, I’m not sure why you bring that up–but Thank you! :)

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM

First off: Mirror-opposite would imply the league lauded the hit and promoted it as a hockey play. Nobody praised him for hard-nosed hockey. That hit won’t and shouldn’t end up on any “big hits” montage. They simply didn’t suspend Bickell.

Second off: I hated that hit more than the Seabrook hit. Especially if you buy into the Blues’ official story after the series that all that happened from the play was Backes re-injuring his broken toe (The team covering their butts for not following protocol, no doubt).

Third off: I’d bet money Bickell didn’t get suspended because Seabrook already was, and they must view suspending two players as a rarity. Perhaps because these penalties already directly contributed to a playoff loss before any discipline was considered. I don’t know. I would be interested to know what went on.

Fourth off: Am I to believe you think that Cooke deserved no suspension at all? Please tell me I’m mistaken.

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I’m not arguing the opposite. I’m actually trying to compare the situations and apply a little objective critical thinking to the matter and look at the situation through green-and-gold or red-and-black glasses.

I know that may be a novel concept in YouBetchaLand, but it does happen sometimes.

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Bickell’s hit was more egregious and established the disciplinary precedent for suspension. Since Bickell was allowed to skate–then uniformity/fairness of discipline dictates that Cookie should have, too. For these reasons–no, Cookie should not have been suspended.

• 950003cups - May 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM

There is something called “history”. How was lifting your skate to the Achilles of Karlsson considered a “hockey play”? I guess it happens all the time where players raise their skate and stomp on the back of other players heels. Must be that Karlsson has thin tendons. Poor Cooke, he was chastised for that simple misunderstanding.

What about Savard? Sam Gagner? McDonough?

Eventually when players start suing the league, they will counter the league’s claims that they “tried their best to lower the injuries” by showing that they allowed a guy like Matt Cooke to remain in the league. You know that’s gonna happen. Just a matter of time.

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Looking past that Cooke’s hit was worse, the league already has established injury and prior disciplinary history are factors in punishment. And he’s got no one but himself to blame for at least one of them. He made his bed over and over.

Doesn’t matter how much time elapses. Duncan Keith could win two Norris trophies and even the Lady Byng (yeah, right) and it won’t change the fact that, barring massive policy change, he will get suspended at least five games for his next retaliatory elbow.

If neither of these things mattered, then Cooke would have likely gotten the traditional Dustin Brown punishment. As in none. But they do. So he was suspended.

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Cooke’s hit was worse? Than Bickell’s?!

I’m obviously wasting my time debating this with you.

• avscup - May 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Seems like you are the Priscilla. Internet tough. Always calling everyone with an opinion you don’t agree with names. Go pose in front of the mirror and flex your scrawny muscles dude. You’d get worked over if you ever came out of the doll house you play in.

• getadealdonealready - May 7, 2014 at 10:39 PM

avscup – haven’t heard from you in a while, I was worried about you, hope you are enjoying your off-season. Real sad we didn’t hear from you the last couple games of the CO/MN series. Better luck next year.

• clarke16 - May 8, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Hey! The avscup jabroni is back. Finally licked those wounds and drug your sorry ass on back to say hello… How cuuuuute… Such a sweeeet jabroni when he has no horse left in the race to trash talk over… How many power bongs did you have to burn to recover, son? :)

• comeonnowguys - May 8, 2014 at 7:56 AM

It only took me a couple of back – and – forths to realize you were a lost cause to reality. Didn’t stop me though, clarke. If we can save one person from homerism, we’ll then it is all worth it.

I won’t give up on you.

Unless you bore me.

• comeonnowguys - May 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM

To be fair, avs, clarke hasn’t called me a name yet. Though I have to wonder… why Priscilla?

• clarke16 - May 8, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Why would I call you a name? You humor the shiit out of me, my friend. :)

Claiming to be empowered with the ability to know that Matt Cooke’s intent was to injure Barrie was a great start, but then–being reduced to arguing semantics in your defense of that superhuman *savant* type ability you hold–you’ve become one of my favs…and the best part? It’s all free!

Keep up the good work, eh? ;)

• comeonnowguys - May 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I don’t claim to know what he thinks. I just look at past history and other related things, and usually the results aren’t hard to find.

Also, I wouldn’t necessarily call it “reduced.” We don’t live in a black and white world. I can’t live by “Ditka God, Packers bad.” (Partly because he’s ridicuously overrated, and after 90+ years, the Packers are a sibling rivalry) or “Hard hit on Hawks dirty, Hard hit by Hawks AWESOME!”

Semantics, details and context is everything.

Though, to be fair, I am superhuman, so there’s that.

7. slickvb82 - May 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I’m staying out of this one, had plenty of Cooke talk in recent weeks. I just hope our Wild can come out Friday and play well, even it up! Go Wild!

8. bwayblueshirt - May 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Cooke is shiit. With any luck he and Brown will go knee on knee next year and both of them will be gone for good.

9. runhigh24 - May 7, 2014 at 1:49 PM

The NHL playoffs, the place where dirty hits are typically not suspendable, unless they are committed by those players with lengthy suspension histories like Cooke and Torres.

10. mackattack29 - May 7, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I’ll predict he’ll make it a couple periods before he decides it’s boring to be a “clean” player and get back to injuring star players. Haha wild fans and their team are a joke having a guy like this on their team. All it does is discredit anything they do in these playoffs for as long as he’s playing with them. What a pathetic excuse for a hockey organization… lol clarke16 is such an insecure little kid hiding behind his computer screen, talking crap to anyone who says something against a known disgrace to the sport of hockey. Now get out of your basement and ask your mom to make me a sandwich. Lol I mean once I’m done with her… ;). Lol gtfo biitch.

• runhigh24 - May 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM

If the NHL isn’t going to police dirty hits in the playoffs then it only makes sense to employ dirty players who will cause mayhem. Not saying its right, just that its best for business. Cooke helped the team get to the 2nd round and got his owner at least 2 additional home playoff games.

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Yup. The NHL was founded as a *self-policing* league and to this day to a lesser degree it remains so. Goons are part of the game and always have been. Obviously from this very thread we can see that doesn’t sit well with some of the young Jedi’s that the butt-hurt force is strong in… LOL. Regardless, hockey is what it is–regardless of the ignorance out there of what that is…

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Come on mack… Here kitty kitty! Time for your pu$$y bath… LOL

Hockey isn’t for your type, son… It’s a tough, physical, contact sport with player who accept the risk of injury every time they step on the ice. Your fear of players like Cookie just confirms you’d be better off with another sport. Ladies synchronized swimming perhaps?

• blackhawksdynasty - May 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Anyone who uses the term “butt-hurt” is clearly not old enough to call anyone else “son”, son. Get a job kid.

• clarke16 - May 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Sure Pops. Any more of that enema you’d like to discharge before I help you off the commode and back in front of the TV for more of the Gunsmoke marathon, old timer?

• mrklipe - May 7, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Lol! Macky boy Your pretty mature! !!!

• tved12 - May 7, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Really, so one player with a suspension history suddenly discredits what an entire organization does in the playoffs?

I guess we better put asterisks next to the Hawks cup wins, the Kings, Penguins, you name it. Every team has a knuckle head or more, it doesn’t suddenly make the entire organization garbage.

11. getadealdonealready - May 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM

It will be interesting to see where he fits in, I like their top 3 lines right now, Brodziak and Heater have been playing well, maybe he replaces McCormick, but I think he has done exactly what has been asked of him every time he has played and more. Yeo has a tough choice ahead. I would imagine Ballard stays in for Prosser, it was nice to see him play well.

• purpleguy - May 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Word has it Moulson will be eating press box hot dogs on Friday.

• lbeezyse - May 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM

He will slot into Moulson’s spot. Moulson will either be in the press box or will bump down to the 4th line. Most likely the press box because Heater and McCormick have been playing well as of late.

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Moulson needs a break to consider his game…

• getadealdonealready - May 7, 2014 at 2:22 PM

I’d be fine with that, maybe a day off would do him some good. I do like his presence in front of the net, when he is playing well, unfortunately we haven’t seen that thus far in the playoff’s.

12. kgod30 - May 7, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Cooke has played great this past season for the Wild and the Barrie incident was controversial (and potentially overplayed). Despite his history of cheap shots, I appreciate the way he has played this year and look forward to his return. He will have to live with his past actions and is open to criticism for all he has done – especially the hit to Savard. ALL THAT BEING SAID, he has played hard, contributed to the team, and I look forward to seeing him back on the ice on Friday night.

• strictlythedanks - May 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Exactly. You can’t keep people from having opinions on him based on his dirty past and that’s understandable, but anyone whose watched him all year should appreciate the clean edge he now brings to the game.

• sabatimus - May 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM

You mean the skate edge he’s going to use to chop down on someone’s Achilles?

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM

All we hear about Raffi Torres was how he changed his ways when he got to Phoenix. Until he unloaded on Marian Hossa.

Just because you don’t like the history doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant.

• strictlythedanks - May 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I did not say it was irrelevant, I said people are entitled to their opinions based on his past, come on now guy.

As a wild fan who watched prob 95% of the games this year, I am also entitled to my opinion as well. He plays a clean game and is an asset to the wild. The barrie knee on knee was blown out of proportion (becuase of an injury, whereas it should be judged on intent instead of result) and was more so a reflection of people just waiting to have a chance for a Matt Cooke witch hunt .

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM

And I’m entitled to my opinion that this sounds a lot like a few years ago when all we heard about was how “clean” Raffi was playing.

All it takes is one dirty hit.

• ignath - May 7, 2014 at 2:58 PM

sabatimus, the fact you think Cooke intentionally cut Karlsson’s achilles tells me all I need to know about your perception and biases against Cooke.

The guy might be dirty, but the Karlsson incident was in no way intentional…it’d take a goddamn miracle to pull that off intentionally with the speed they hit the boards and the timing of the play. Pull your head out and show some unbiased views on the subject. Bring up other incidents (Savard or whichever), but to claim that was intentional is just ridiculous!

• sabatimus - May 7, 2014 at 3:56 PM

ignath, like the commenters above astutely pointed out, we’re all entitled to our opinions. And mine is that he did it on purpose and tried to make it look like an accident. But that argument got made eons ago and I will not make it again.

• ignath - May 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM

sabatimus, I understand your belief and your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I just think it’s absurd and completely biased due to the name on the guy’s sweater and not the actual hockey play, which is my opinion of which I’m entitled to.

If that would have happened to anyone else other than possibly Tod Bertuzzi or Raffi Tores, no one would have given it a second thought or glance. It was only because it was Matt Cooke that anything was made of it.

• strictlythedanks - May 7, 2014 at 8:11 PM

“All it takes is one dirty hit.”

…………So why are people not calling for seabrooks head?

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Nice try. That was in reference to players like Torres and Cooke. Oft-suspended players that keep winding up in trouble no matter how often they “clean up” their game.

Though, now with established history, if Seabrook does pull a dirty hit again, that won’t help his reputation any either.

13. strictlythedanks - May 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Unleash the cookie monster. The mans played a clean, hard working, defensive game all year for the wild up until that unfortunate knee on knee. Those of you saying “he will get bored and decide to injure the hawks star players,” grow up, there’s been many knee on knees in the playoffs and Cooke’s the only one who got suspended.

• comeonnowguys - May 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Right. Because of his lengthy history of dirty play.

You can’t pretend to be outraged or persecuted. His history was well established before he arrived in Minnesota, and it had to be known that any punishable infraction was going to get further amplified by his history. Not sure how much clearer that could be.

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Correct. Now he’s served his time and back ready to do what he was brought in to do–establish the physical presence, finish his checks, keep the other side worrying about where Cookie is on the ice and helping his team WIN… Welcome back, Matt…

• salutethis - May 8, 2014 at 3:24 AM

He did pick his attacks.. He was throwing elbows and other nasty shots at mackinnon before the knee on Barrie… He not only does dirty shots but he goes after the lynchpins of teams… The wild never get out of Colorado without your dirty MVP taking out the best defensive and clutch player on the Avs. This guy has taken out league Mvps… To me that’s some premeditated attacks there.

14. President Charles Logan - May 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM

he should not have even been suspended in the first place….. powder puff league this has become

15. theageofquarrel - May 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Matt Cooke is a champion!!!!

16. lbeezyse - May 7, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I give credit to Cooke for taking his punishment and not appealing the suspension levied on the Barrie hit. Shows that he is a team player by not giving the press any extra ammo to vilify him. Had he appealed I think his suspension would have gotten dropped into the 3-5 game territory. Listening to the Wild beat writer and teammates talk about Cooke, they love everything about him. His history is undeniable, no doubt about it. That doesn’t mean that he hasn’t changed, which he has dramatically cleaned up his game while still playing with an edge. He will be out on the ice causing havoc and putting clean shots on Kane, Toews, and all. Cant wait to see what a Cooke, Haula, Taine line will do. They should create a lot of havoc with their speed and physicality.

17. mrklipe - May 7, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Lol! Macky boy Your pretty mature! !!!

18. muckleflugga - May 7, 2014 at 5:01 PM

as a player caught in the moment, i believe cooke was caught wrong-footed, and should have bailed rather than reach with his knee, equally at risk as was barrie’s … i doubt there was intent to injure, though injury resulted

as a player, i’ve committed myself in the same manner many times, though the knee on knee collisions resulted in nothing more than tweaks or charley horses higher up the thigh

soooooo why would a player with history, in a league where its president has claimed authority to deliver open-ended suspensions to repeat offenders, deliberately try to cause injury … the argument beggars logic

insofar as cooke not appealing his suspension, and in so doing is somehow deemed to be honourable … poppycock … cooke’s suspension did not involve monetary penalty, not a dime, so motivation for appeal was pointless … the nhlpa would not rate cooke’s would-be appeal because such appeal was counter-productive on a cost basis, if not on merit

both league and union would have had to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars in arbitration fees and legal advice to gain nothing beyond cooke’s ongoing play … the process itself would have only delayed the inevitable, this while exposing cooke to on-ice retribution from the avalanche

and, with bettman’s ability to award further discipline, cooke may have found his suspension carrying-in to next season, a likelihood were cooke to subject the league to further cost, when cooke himself was bearing no cost in the present

cooke lives in a world of goes around comes around, and as his career winds-down and he drops a step or two, he will be punished in a way that would make a fine far more desirable … nine months in a full-body cast can give cause for careful and deliberate reflection

i’ll close by acknowledging the input of the commentator beating his meat silly while changing account names ad nauseam to ‘no’ in its current manifestation …

thank you for the attention, irrelevant as it may be to subject at hand … noteworthy only insofar as demonstrating in contrast, your efforts are neither noticed nor quoted anywhere in these boards, nondescript in content and character

bland is as bland does

• blackhawksdynasty - May 7, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Muckle I gotta tell ya I’ve grown to appreciate your comments ’round here. Us old guys are a little different, but far more entertaining (and obviously educated) than the typical ho hum trash talking ottoman jockeys who bicker relentlessly while rarely supplying sensible food for thought.

All I ask of you – please use some punctuation – these eyes have difficulty reading without

19. chitown26 - May 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Trashball. Keep your heads up hawks, you’ll want to know when this a-hole is on the ice.

• purplove1 - May 7, 2014 at 5:24 PM

And that’s exactly what makes him an effective player. It’s not talent alone. Every sport has a few of these. Not a new concept.

Matt Cooke couldn’t hold a candle to what the Al Secords and Jim Korns of this world. Hockey as all sports, has gotten soft.

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Exactly…

Like my old man used to say–keep your head up out there. There are people out there on the ice for no other reason than to take you out of the game. Be aware like Gordy Howe… NOBODY checks Gordy Howe without paying in some way for it.

20. montrealbbr - May 7, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I bet the Blackhawks fans are all cringing hearing this news!

• comeonnowguys - May 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Yes. It’s the first time Chicago’s had to go up against someone who plays physical. Except for the St. Louis series. And the Boston series. And the L.A. Series. and so on, and so on…

21. homegrowntalentmn - May 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM

#mattcookehasbeenfreed

22. rgledz - May 7, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I have a unique perspective on this playoff series because although I am a Wild fan, I have a relative that plays for the Hawks…..therefore I am cheering for the Hawks. Reading posts from this article and hearing commentary on the local radio station, I find it astonishing how cocky fans have become after one win and how they act as if the Wild are getting Modano in his prime back in the lineup. It’s Matt Cooke, he’s a gritty, physical player….I give you that, but calm down a bit on the whole “it’s 2-1 now and we get Cookie back!!”. A little perspective and the ability to be just a little humble might go a long way. Game 4 on Friday, trust me, the Hawks are not panicking. Go Hawks!

• clarke16 - May 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Nobody said they were panicking and nobody that I saw was equating Cookie with Modano… The Wild are clearly the underdogs here.

You get 2 minutes for Embellishment… Take it to the box–*Wild fan who cheers for Chicago*…

• comeonnowguys - May 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I like your relative. He should play more. :)

23. adamdep211rukus211 - May 8, 2014 at 5:20 AM

Cooke is just a rough and tough hockey player. Wish he was still with the pens. We miss him coming into primantis with his got wife and tipping us big. Go get em cooke these kids forget this isn’t very baby basketball or football.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches