May 8, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
For all the heat Rick Nash is taking from the fans and Martin St. Louis is taking from himself, there’s another high-profile Rangers player that’s failing to live up to expectations in these playoffs.
McDonagh has just one assist in 11 playoff games, with a minus-5 rating. This after a regular season in which he racked up 43 points in 77 games and received a good deal of Norris Trophy buzz.
Now, it’s certainly possible that McDonagh is still feeling the effects of a late-season shoulder injury (courtesy Vancouver’s Alex Burrows), but would Vigneault be so blunt in his assessment if he thought McDonagh was physically unable to be better? Remember that Vigneault also called on McDonagh to find “another level” in the first round versus Philadelphia.
Safe to say, Pittsburgh’s second goal last night at MSG was not McDonagh’s finest defensive moment, as he had ample opportunity to get back and tie up Brandon Sutter:
Hurt or not, there’s a guy in Washington who would get absolutely killed for back-checking like that.
And the guy in Washington isn’t a defenseman.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)