Patrick Kane: ‘I was pretty pumped up after that one’

May 3, 2014, 1:31 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Chicago Blackhawks - Game One Getty Images

It was an important goal. It was a beautiful goal.

Patrick Kane gave the Chicago Blackhawks a 3-2 lead in the third period with a backhand goal top-shelf on Ilya Bryzgalov. It stood as the winning goal, as the Blackhawks defeated the Minnesota Wild to take Game 1 on Friday. It halted any momentum Minnesota might’ve gained from two quick goals to tie the game early in the third period.

And the goal also ignited Twitter, as rapid reaction poured in via social media. Yes, it was spectacular. As Kane celebrated emphatically, you could him yell out, “Showtime!”

“Sometimes I don’t even know what I’m saying. I was pretty pumped up after that one,” Kane said afterward, as per Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune.

“Kaner scored one of those goals that not many guys in the league could try or get done,” added head coach Joel Quenneville, as per Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.

1. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Apparently, 100 Million Dollars buys you embarrassment to go right along with a -2.

• credible316 - May 3, 2014 at 1:59 AM

Um it’s 98 million Mr. Idonthaveateamintheplayoffs. See I can copy and paste too.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 3, 2014 at 2:01 AM

98 Million … 100 Million … still overpaid.

He got schooled hard.

• credible316 - May 3, 2014 at 2:02 AM

LOL

• slickvb82 - May 3, 2014 at 2:30 AM

This POS needs no further response from here on out from any Wild fan, regardless of what happens! His life is so sad he resorts to instantly bashing the Wild and its fans for one game, in which we played well enough to win, but Crawford stood on his head and the Hawks (a great team) took advantage and won. Its 1-0, I’m ok with it.

Seriously though, everyone on here knows how big of a fukin loser this bloody tampon dude is, lets all just quit responding to his non-sense. He’ll quickly see how sad his life is….even on a computer.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Looks like the boys who sacrificed basic human decency to defend a scumbag like Cooke are getting a tad bit miffed when someone dunks their head into the bucket of karma …

Awww that’s too bad. A true shame.

Hey! Question for ya!

Do you guys think that if you paid Suter the whole 196 Million Dollars spent in that off season that he could have ended the night with a -4?

• getadealdonealready - May 3, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Here’s an idea you guys play your 4th string goalie the rest of the series and we’ll see how it turns out.

2. 950003cups - May 3, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Let’s see you try that on a real goalie.

• canucks30 - May 3, 2014 at 2:32 AM

What, you mean like this:

• endusersolutions2013 - May 3, 2014 at 4:39 AM

excellent response!

• canucks30 - May 3, 2014 at 5:08 AM

Kane has 79 pts in 81 playoff games, 2 Stanley Cups, and a Conn Smythe trophy…

and he’s only 25 years old.

Not to mention more swagger than Shawn Michaels in his prime.

The most electrifying and clutch player in the game today.

3. 950003cups - May 3, 2014 at 1:43 AM

No hattie by Parise? Geez, $98,000,000 just doesn’t buy you what it used to. In 2010 it got you Ilya Kovalchuk. Today it gets you a Suter or a Parise? Talk about inflation!

• credible316 - May 3, 2014 at 2:01 AM

We were all looking for you after Parises 2 goal 2 assist game 6.
      It’s safe to come out now!

• 950003cups - May 3, 2014 at 2:09 AM

I was posting then too. You’ll see how he plays when he’s playing against guys over 20 years old.

• canucks30 - May 3, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Your scorned lover bitterness with Parise is approaching disturbing levels.

• canucks30 - May 3, 2014 at 5:10 AM

You think I wasn’t upset when Pavel Bure asked out of Vancouver?

Sometimes you just got to let it go and move on.

Or you could be like Cleveland and be hung up on LeBron for the rest of eternity.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 3, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Parise is the best. I retract my earlier statement.

4. canucks30 - May 3, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Ah, he’s pumped after every goal…

5. jhuck92 - May 3, 2014 at 3:46 AM

He loves that backhand shot from the right circle. There are no “bad angles” for Kane

• endusersolutions2013 - May 3, 2014 at 4:41 AM

2010 Cup winner was also a “Kane Angle”.

• florida727 - May 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

One of the greatest goals ever because for about 5 seconds no one knew it was even in the net… except Kaner.

6. no - May 3, 2014 at 3:47 AM

“welp” – ilya bryzgalov

7. senormiyagi - May 3, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Sick goal. But he was offsides.

• canucks30 - May 3, 2014 at 7:13 AM

WTF?

• rflashj - May 3, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Not offsides. Puck is an extension of the stick and body when carried in if the skates enter the zone first.

8. 1harrypairatesties - May 3, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Patrick Kane is an amazing goal scorer. His reactions after he scores are priceless. I’m so happy he’s playing for us. He’s scored so many big goals in big games. All you haters who bash him need to recognize his accomplishments and show the man some respect.

9. longcutskolvikes - May 3, 2014 at 8:28 AM

That guy is unreal. I wish he would’ve played that way against Canada in Sochi. Still, I think this series goes 6 games.

10. 1wildfan1 - May 3, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I’m a Wild fan (obviously by the name lol), but I am man enough to admit defeat. The Hawks (as unfortunately expected by many, in and out of MN) were in a completely different class last night. Just a phenomenal game in all phases. And that goal by Kane was artwork in motion…beautiful. I am not counting the Wild out, if they play their A game (and get a decent goalie back in net), they can compete with the Hawks, as the regular season record showed. Can we compete with them through a 7 game series? Be a hell of a tough row to hoe, because the Hawks are that dang good. But hopefully the Wild can at least make it an entertaining series to watch, unlike last night, outside of 5 minutes of the third period. LOL. Nice game Hawks and Hawks fans…dominant all around. Hopefully the rest of the games will be more entertaining for fans outside of CHI. lol

11. jetfan74 - May 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM

As an Islanders fan and someone who respects Kane’s game, he was offsides and it wasn’t even that close. Otherwise it was a thing of beauty!!!

12. earpaniac - May 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Damn.

13. dontbsuchapuss - May 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Does it really matter if he was offsides to score that kind of goal on the backhand is amazing. Missed calls are a theme in these playoffs. The wild should have saved that 98 million and rebuilt instead of trying to buy a cup. Could of skipped paying all that money to over rated players and had a cup replica made so they can touch it before those contracts end.

14. earpaniac - May 3, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Wildfan- that is the difference. The Hawks played like crap last night. They weren’t dominant, and in fact for a little more than 2 periods, the Wild were. Fair or not, our 2nd tier players, Sharp, Hossa, etc, are equal to your best players. The Wild need to win games the Hawks don’t play their best, because when they do, no one can beat them. This series is not over, and I think it goes 6, but you guys needed that kind of win.

• getadealdonealready - May 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM

A game they could have won, but after watching this team for a long time, they looked tired and slow last night. Their gaps by D were similar to game 1/2 against the AVS. I get Yeo saying players didn’t play well, but as someone who has been around the game a long time, this team plays tentative in front of Bryzgolav. They don’t play horrible, and Bryz’s play doesn’t seem to be terrible, however the team plays like they don’t have confidence in him to make the big save, and therefore don’t gap up entering our zone, and leave some passing lanes open. Chi is a great team, and as a hockey fan I wish any one of out top 3 goalies was healthy enough to play, as I think we could make this an entertaining series.

15. earpaniac - May 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM

And just so I don’t sound like I’m drinking the Kool-aid, I didn’t pick the Hawks to win the Cup this year. Lol

16. rebekah319 - May 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM

PATRICK KANE GOOD AT HOCKEY I GET IT… ITS SO SHOCKING EVERYONE THINKS HE IS GOD. ITS SO ANNOYING!!!!! And when I say that it truly amazes me that people gush over the guy just because he makes fancy moves all the time and it makes everyone go into complete aww like no one else in the freaking world can do what he does.. OKAY… YES I AM ONE OF THESE PEOPLE THAT IS NOT IMPRESSED AND NEVER HAVE FUN. GOOD PLAYER AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN BUT TO THINK HE IS THE HOCKEY GOD IS BOTHERS ME ON SO MANY LEVELS. END RANT- AND I KNOW PEOPLE ARE NOT GOING TO AGREE WITH ONE WORD THAT I JUST SAID BUT ITS HONESTLY HOW I FEEL AND HAVE ALWAYS FELT AND YOU REALLY CANT CHANGE MY FEELINGS.. SO PLEASE DO NOT EVEN BECAUSE ALL OF YOU ARE LITERALLY GOING TO SAY I AM CRAZY.. WHICH I JUST DO NOT CARE.

• getadealdonealready - May 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I don’t know what you are yelling about, relax it’s just hockey

17. wildinmn - May 3, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I see a few people saying Kane was offsides on his backhand goal, I didn’t see that which probably indicates it was very close and I’m not going to fault the officials for that. And what is more important is that the Wild defense just can’t let Kane skate around like that! If any team lets him skate like that, he is going to hurt them. The Wild are a much better team when they don’t let a player with Kane’s caliber be able to play his game. I cringed every time I saw Kane, Hossa, or Toews with the puck around our net because they are that dangerous. Right now Chicago is a better team than the Wild, however the Wild are still quite capable of winning the series – they wouldn’t be in the playoffs if they were not.

18. blackhawks2010 - May 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Hawks played awful and yet there was never a sense watching the game that the Hawks could lose. Call it confidence, however, they will need to play better tomorrow and throughout to win. The second period was one of their worst efforts of the year, ridiculous for a playoff game.
    Time to find the gear and strangle these guys quickly.
    Go Hawks!

19. 1harrypairatesties - May 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

1wildfan1,

Coming from a Wild fan your comments about my Blackhawks are greatly appreciated. It’s nice to see that a fan of one team can be complimentary of another. You are a representing the Wild & Minnesota well.

20. rebekah319 - May 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I’m not yelling its just beyond annoying how every single hockey fan thinks Kane is God and no one can do that- He is good at hockey why is that so freaking shocking to people? Honestly I get everyone thinks he has amazing skill and what not but I have never and I mean never been impressed. Honest feelings and you can all call me crazy but its true. He does something and everyone goes insane its like calm down it was a goal should I be impressed not so much!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches