May 3, 2014, 1:31 AM EDT
It was an important goal. It was a beautiful goal.
Patrick Kane gave the Chicago Blackhawks a 3-2 lead in the third period with a backhand goal top-shelf on Ilya Bryzgalov. It stood as the winning goal, as the Blackhawks defeated the Minnesota Wild to take Game 1 on Friday. It halted any momentum Minnesota might’ve gained from two quick goals to tie the game early in the third period.
And the goal also ignited Twitter, as rapid reaction poured in via social media. Yes, it was spectacular. As Kane celebrated emphatically, you could him yell out, “Showtime!”
“Sometimes I don’t even know what I’m saying. I was pretty pumped up after that one,” Kane said afterward, as per Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune.
“Kaner scored one of those goals that not many guys in the league could try or get done,” added head coach Joel Quenneville, as per Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 14
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 3
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)