Apr 30, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Jagr’s new one-year deal will come with a $3.5 million base salary, but he will earn up to $5.5 million in 2014-15 if he fulfills the requirements of his performance bonuses, according to the Star-Ledger.
This will be the first time he’s played for the same NHL team in consecutive seasons since his tenure with the New York Rangers that ended in 2008.
“There was no reason to change clubs because I was happy,” Jagr said. “No reason to do it.”
Of course, he did play for the KHL’s Omsk Avangard from 2008-10, which makes his North American career achievements all the more impressive. He has played in 1,473 career NHL games; just 294 less than Gordie Howe did. Howe did spend his mid-to-late 40s in the WHA, but that doesn’t change the fact that Jagr might be within striking distance of Howe’s NHL record if he didn’t play in the KHL.
Either way, Jagr is poised to continue to climb up the NHL’s leaderboard. He’s three goals away from sixth place on the all-time goals list (currently held by Mike Gartner, 708 goals), 13 assists shy of seventh place (Steve Yzerman, 1,063), and 16 points away from fifth place (Marcel Dionne, 1,771).
Jagr was nominated for the 2014 Masterton Trophy. He also had 24 goals and 67 points in 82 games this season.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 22
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 10
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)