Apr 29, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr said after practice w/ national team he will continue in #njdevils team. He said he already has agreement with the club.
— Roman Jedlicka (@jedli) April 29, 2014
Jagr, who turned 42 in February, played last season — his first with New Jersey — on a one-year, $4.55 million deal and proved to be one of the best free agent signings of the summer, leading the Devils in scoring (67 points) while finishing 27th in the NHL in scoring.
He also appeared in all 82 games and represented the Czech Republic at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, suggesting that he’s nowhere close to slowing down.
Should Jedlicka’s report prove accurate and Jagr does indeed return, 2014-15 promises to be one filled with milestones. Jagr currently sits sixth on the NHL’s all-time points leaderboard — with 1,755 — needing 17 more to surpass Marcel Dionne for fifth and 44 to move past Ron Francis for fourth.
He could also move significantly up the goals scored leaderboard. Jagr’s currently on 705 — seventh-most all-time — but is within striking distance of Mike Gartner (708), Phil Esposito (717), Dionne (731) and Brett Hull (741).
That Jagr wants to continue in New Jersey shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. In March, he said he liked his situation with the Devils and that he would keep playing in the NHL “for as long as I can. I love it.”
Update: Per TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, sounds like the deal is done and could be a nice raise for Jagr…
One year deal for Jaromir Jagr with the Devils. Value is between 5 and 6 million dollars depending on bonuses. #tvasports
— Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoietva) April 29, 2014
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 3
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 11
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)