Apr 29, 2014, 1:04 PM EST
Jaromir Jagr said after practice w/ national team he will continue in #njdevils team. He said he already has agreement with the club.
— Roman Jedlicka (@jedli) April 29, 2014
Jagr, who turned 42 in February, played last season — his first with New Jersey — on a one-year, $4.55 million deal and proved to be one of the best free agent signings of the summer, leading the Devils in scoring (67 points) while finishing 27th in the NHL in scoring.
He also appeared in all 82 games and represented the Czech Republic at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, suggesting that he’s nowhere close to slowing down.
Should Jedlicka’s report prove accurate and Jagr does indeed return, 2014-15 promises to be one filled with milestones. Jagr currently sits sixth on the NHL’s all-time points leaderboard — with 1,755 — needing 17 more to surpass Marcel Dionne for fifth and 44 to move past Ron Francis for fourth.
He could also move significantly up the goals scored leaderboard. Jagr’s currently on 705 — seventh-most all-time — but is within striking distance of Mike Gartner (708), Phil Esposito (717), Dionne (731) and Brett Hull (741).
That Jagr wants to continue in New Jersey shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. In March, he said he liked his situation with the Devils and that he would keep playing in the NHL “for as long as I can. I love it.”
Update: Per TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, sounds like the deal is done and could be a nice raise for Jagr…
One year deal for Jaromir Jagr with the Devils. Value is between 5 and 6 million dollars depending on bonuses. #tvasports
— Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoietva) April 29, 2014
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)