Apr 29, 2014, 1:04 PM EST
Jaromir Jagr said after practice w/ national team he will continue in #njdevils team. He said he already has agreement with the club.
— Roman Jedlicka (@jedli) April 29, 2014
Jagr, who turned 42 in February, played last season — his first with New Jersey — on a one-year, $4.55 million deal and proved to be one of the best free agent signings of the summer, leading the Devils in scoring (67 points) while finishing 27th in the NHL in scoring.
He also appeared in all 82 games and represented the Czech Republic at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, suggesting that he’s nowhere close to slowing down.
Should Jedlicka’s report prove accurate and Jagr does indeed return, 2014-15 promises to be one filled with milestones. Jagr currently sits sixth on the NHL’s all-time points leaderboard — with 1,755 — needing 17 more to surpass Marcel Dionne for fifth and 44 to move past Ron Francis for fourth.
He could also move significantly up the goals scored leaderboard. Jagr’s currently on 705 — seventh-most all-time — but is within striking distance of Mike Gartner (708), Phil Esposito (717), Dionne (731) and Brett Hull (741).
That Jagr wants to continue in New Jersey shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. In March, he said he liked his situation with the Devils and that he would keep playing in the NHL “for as long as I can. I love it.”
Update: Per TVA’s Renaud Lavoie, sounds like the deal is done and could be a nice raise for Jagr…
One year deal for Jaromir Jagr with the Devils. Value is between 5 and 6 million dollars depending on bonuses. #tvasports
— Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoietva) April 29, 2014
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)