Apr 29, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
The Sharks did a better job on their forecheck Monday, did some good things. But they still need more from the likes of Pavelski, who has just one shot on goal in the last two games — or Marleau, who hasn’t scored since his overtime winner in Game 3.
To say the series turned around abruptly and decisively after that third game is woefully accurate. In Game 1 through Game 3, the Sharks outscored the Kings 17-8. In Game 4 through Game 6, the Kings outscored the Sharks 13-4.
Rory Boylen of The Hockey News is convinced that Todd McLellan will be coaching for his job on Wednesday:
By starting rookie Alex Stalock in a Game 6 loss to Los Angeles, McLellan opened the door of uncertainty for a rookie without any playoff experience. Granted, Stalock had a .932 save percentage in 24 games this season, but a Cory Schneider/Roberto Luongo situation this was not. You have to keep going with your Stanley Cup winning, Vezina Trophy finalist.
But by turning to Stalock in Game 6, there is no clear choice for Game 7.
Taking a slightly different tack, here’s the National Post’s Michael Traikos on why the Sharks shouldn’t be considered “chokers” if they lose Game 7:
This is essentially the same Kings team that won the Cup in 2012, with Jonathan Quick back to his Vezina Trophy form.
That they were down 3-0 in the series — with Quick allowing 16 goals — was surprising. That they would have the talent and depth to turn the series around — Quick has allowed three goals in the last three games — is not.
Meanwhile, CSN Bay Area’s Ray Ratto has some advice for Sharks fan:
And, finally, here’s the Toronto Star’s Bruce Arthur, on what to expect tomorrow:
Related: The good news for the Sharks is….
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)