Apr 29, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
The Sharks did a better job on their forecheck Monday, did some good things. But they still need more from the likes of Pavelski, who has just one shot on goal in the last two games — or Marleau, who hasn’t scored since his overtime winner in Game 3.
To say the series turned around abruptly and decisively after that third game is woefully accurate. In Game 1 through Game 3, the Sharks outscored the Kings 17-8. In Game 4 through Game 6, the Kings outscored the Sharks 13-4.
Rory Boylen of The Hockey News is convinced that Todd McLellan will be coaching for his job on Wednesday:
By starting rookie Alex Stalock in a Game 6 loss to Los Angeles, McLellan opened the door of uncertainty for a rookie without any playoff experience. Granted, Stalock had a .932 save percentage in 24 games this season, but a Cory Schneider/Roberto Luongo situation this was not. You have to keep going with your Stanley Cup winning, Vezina Trophy finalist.
But by turning to Stalock in Game 6, there is no clear choice for Game 7.
Taking a slightly different tack, here’s the National Post’s Michael Traikos on why the Sharks shouldn’t be considered “chokers” if they lose Game 7:
This is essentially the same Kings team that won the Cup in 2012, with Jonathan Quick back to his Vezina Trophy form.
That they were down 3-0 in the series — with Quick allowing 16 goals — was surprising. That they would have the talent and depth to turn the series around — Quick has allowed three goals in the last three games — is not.
Meanwhile, CSN Bay Area’s Ray Ratto has some advice for Sharks fan:
And, finally, here’s the Toronto Star’s Bruce Arthur, on what to expect tomorrow:
Related: The good news for the Sharks is….
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)