Apr 29, 2014, 11:43 AM EST
…of the eight teams in NHL history that have been forced to play Game 7 after once leading a series 3-0, five of them managed to pull it together and win.
That includes the San Jose Sharks, who got quite the scare in 2011 versus the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s the full list, with teams that managed to “pull it together” in bold:
2011: Red Wings vs. Sharks (Sharks won Game 7)
2011: Blackhawks vs. Canucks (Canucks won Game 7)
2010: Flyers vs. Bruins (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Flyers (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Penguins (Islanders won Game 7)
1945: Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1942: Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1939: Rangers vs. Bruins (Bruins won Game 7)
It’s actually the 2011 Blackhawks-Canucks series that’s particularly reminiscent of the one the Sharks find themselves in right now. Like San Jose did last night, Vancouver made a rather bold goalie change on the road in Game 6, going with Cory Schneider over Roberto Luongo. The gamble didn’t pay off, and the Canucks went back to Luongo for Game 7, eventually winning in overtime.
Will the Sharks go back to Antti Niemi after Alex Stalock took the loss in Game 6? That’s the big decision now for coach Todd McLellan, who will need to forget about being “cheated” in Game 6, since there’s nothing he can do about that anyway.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)