Apr 29, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
…of the eight teams in NHL history that have been forced to play Game 7 after once leading a series 3-0, five of them managed to pull it together and win.
That includes the San Jose Sharks, who got quite the scare in 2011 versus the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s the full list, with teams that managed to “pull it together” in bold:
2011: Red Wings vs. Sharks (Sharks won Game 7)
2011: Blackhawks vs. Canucks (Canucks won Game 7)
2010: Flyers vs. Bruins (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Flyers (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Penguins (Islanders won Game 7)
1945: Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1942: Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1939: Rangers vs. Bruins (Bruins won Game 7)
It’s actually the 2011 Blackhawks-Canucks series that’s particularly reminiscent of the one the Sharks find themselves in right now. Like San Jose did last night, Vancouver made a rather bold goalie change on the road in Game 6, going with Cory Schneider over Roberto Luongo. The gamble didn’t pay off, and the Canucks went back to Luongo for Game 7, eventually winning in overtime.
Will the Sharks go back to Antti Niemi after Alex Stalock took the loss in Game 6? That’s the big decision now for coach Todd McLellan, who will need to forget about being “cheated” in Game 6, since there’s nothing he can do about that anyway.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)