Apr 29, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
…of the eight teams in NHL history that have been forced to play Game 7 after once leading a series 3-0, five of them managed to pull it together and win.
That includes the San Jose Sharks, who got quite the scare in 2011 versus the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s the full list, with teams that managed to “pull it together” in bold:
2011: Red Wings vs. Sharks (Sharks won Game 7)
2011: Blackhawks vs. Canucks (Canucks won Game 7)
2010: Flyers vs. Bruins (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Flyers (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Penguins (Islanders won Game 7)
1945: Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1942: Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1939: Rangers vs. Bruins (Bruins won Game 7)
It’s actually the 2011 Blackhawks-Canucks series that’s particularly reminiscent of the one the Sharks find themselves in right now. Like San Jose did last night, Vancouver made a rather bold goalie change on the road in Game 6, going with Cory Schneider over Roberto Luongo. The gamble didn’t pay off, and the Canucks went back to Luongo for Game 7, eventually winning in overtime.
Will the Sharks go back to Antti Niemi after Alex Stalock took the loss in Game 6? That’s the big decision now for coach Todd McLellan, who will need to forget about being “cheated” in Game 6, since there’s nothing he can do about that anyway.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 90
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32