Apr 29, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
…of the eight teams in NHL history that have been forced to play Game 7 after once leading a series 3-0, five of them managed to pull it together and win.
That includes the San Jose Sharks, who got quite the scare in 2011 versus the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s the full list, with teams that managed to “pull it together” in bold:
2011: Red Wings vs. Sharks (Sharks won Game 7)
2011: Blackhawks vs. Canucks (Canucks won Game 7)
2010: Flyers vs. Bruins (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Flyers (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Penguins (Islanders won Game 7)
1945: Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1942: Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1939: Rangers vs. Bruins (Bruins won Game 7)
It’s actually the 2011 Blackhawks-Canucks series that’s particularly reminiscent of the one the Sharks find themselves in right now. Like San Jose did last night, Vancouver made a rather bold goalie change on the road in Game 6, going with Cory Schneider over Roberto Luongo. The gamble didn’t pay off, and the Canucks went back to Luongo for Game 7, eventually winning in overtime.
Will the Sharks go back to Antti Niemi after Alex Stalock took the loss in Game 6? That’s the big decision now for coach Todd McLellan, who will need to forget about being “cheated” in Game 6, since there’s nothing he can do about that anyway.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)