Apr 29, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
…of the eight teams in NHL history that have been forced to play Game 7 after once leading a series 3-0, five of them managed to pull it together and win.
That includes the San Jose Sharks, who got quite the scare in 2011 versus the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s the full list, with teams that managed to “pull it together” in bold:
2011: Red Wings vs. Sharks (Sharks won Game 7)
2011: Blackhawks vs. Canucks (Canucks won Game 7)
2010: Flyers vs. Bruins (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Flyers (Flyers won Game 7)
1975: Islanders vs. Penguins (Islanders won Game 7)
1945: Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1942: Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings (Maple Leafs won Game 7)
1939: Rangers vs. Bruins (Bruins won Game 7)
It’s actually the 2011 Blackhawks-Canucks series that’s particularly reminiscent of the one the Sharks find themselves in right now. Like San Jose did last night, Vancouver made a rather bold goalie change on the road in Game 6, going with Cory Schneider over Roberto Luongo. The gamble didn’t pay off, and the Canucks went back to Luongo for Game 7, eventually winning in overtime.
Will the Sharks go back to Antti Niemi after Alex Stalock took the loss in Game 6? That’s the big decision now for coach Todd McLellan, who will need to forget about being “cheated” in Game 6, since there’s nothing he can do about that anyway.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 5
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 14
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)