Apr 25, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
The New York Rangers got 38 shots on goal in Steve Mason‘s first start of the playoffs, including 16 in the first period alone, but they still don’t feel like they challenged him enough in tonight’s 2-1 loss to Philadelphia.
Forward Rich Nash argued that too many of the Rangers shots were fired from the outside and they didn’t put enough traffic in front of Mason, according to the Bergen Records’ Andrew Gross. In other words, he feels that the Rangers were lacking when it came to generating quality chances, even if the quantity of shots was there.
At least one Rangers player though was willing to give Mason some credit though.
In particular, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault feels they were lacking on the power play. The Rangers were 0-for-4 with the man advantage and have a 15.0% success rate in the series.
Whether or not the Rangers feel they could have been better, Mason more than earned his first career postseason win tonight. If he continues to perform like he did tonight, then the Flyers have a fair chance of eliminating the Rangers.
With the series tied at 2-2, Game 5 will be played on Sunday.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)