Apr 25, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
The New York Rangers got 38 shots on goal in Steve Mason‘s first start of the playoffs, including 16 in the first period alone, but they still don’t feel like they challenged him enough in tonight’s 2-1 loss to Philadelphia.
Forward Rich Nash argued that too many of the Rangers shots were fired from the outside and they didn’t put enough traffic in front of Mason, according to the Bergen Records’ Andrew Gross. In other words, he feels that the Rangers were lacking when it came to generating quality chances, even if the quantity of shots was there.
At least one Rangers player though was willing to give Mason some credit though.
In particular, Rangers coach Alain Vigneault feels they were lacking on the power play. The Rangers were 0-for-4 with the man advantage and have a 15.0% success rate in the series.
Whether or not the Rangers feel they could have been better, Mason more than earned his first career postseason win tonight. If he continues to perform like he did tonight, then the Flyers have a fair chance of eliminating the Rangers.
With the series tied at 2-2, Game 5 will be played on Sunday.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)