Apr 25, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has his first postseason victory, but it didn’t come easy. After missing the start of the playoffs due to an upper-body injury, Mason kicked out 37 of 38 shots tonight to lead Philadelphia to a 2-1 victory over the New York Rangers.
The game certainly didn’t have a good start for the Flyers as Mason was beaten early by Rangers forward Dominic Moore on a wraparound.
That goal looked preventable for Mason, but it was the only blemish for the 25-year-old goalie. Philadelphia was out-shot 16-6 in the first period, but they entered the intermission tied thanks to their netminder’s efforts.
Jakub Voracek scored a power-play goal at 7:22 of the second period to put Philadelphia on top tonight.
It seems appropriate that Mason’s first playoff victory comes during the same round as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ first franchise win in the postseason. Until this year, Mason and the Blue Jackets had only ever made the playoffs in 2009 when they were swept by the Detroit Red Wings.
The only bad news for Philadelphia is that defenseman Nicklas Grossmann was hurt when he fell awkwardly into the boards early in the second period. He missed the remainder of the game due to a lower-body injury.
The series is now tied at 2-2 ahead of Game 5 in New York on Sunday (3:00 p.m. ET, NBC).
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)