Apr 25, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has his first postseason victory, but it didn’t come easy. After missing the start of the playoffs due to an upper-body injury, Mason kicked out 37 of 38 shots tonight to lead Philadelphia to a 2-1 victory over the New York Rangers.
The game certainly didn’t have a good start for the Flyers as Mason was beaten early by Rangers forward Dominic Moore on a wraparound.
That goal looked preventable for Mason, but it was the only blemish for the 25-year-old goalie. Philadelphia was out-shot 16-6 in the first period, but they entered the intermission tied thanks to their netminder’s efforts.
Jakub Voracek scored a power-play goal at 7:22 of the second period to put Philadelphia on top tonight.
It seems appropriate that Mason’s first playoff victory comes during the same round as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ first franchise win in the postseason. Until this year, Mason and the Blue Jackets had only ever made the playoffs in 2009 when they were swept by the Detroit Red Wings.
The only bad news for Philadelphia is that defenseman Nicklas Grossmann was hurt when he fell awkwardly into the boards early in the second period. He missed the remainder of the game due to a lower-body injury.
The series is now tied at 2-2 ahead of Game 5 in New York on Sunday (3:00 p.m. ET, NBC).
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)