Apr 25, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has his first postseason victory, but it didn’t come easy. After missing the start of the playoffs due to an upper-body injury, Mason kicked out 37 of 38 shots tonight to lead Philadelphia to a 2-1 victory over the New York Rangers.
The game certainly didn’t have a good start for the Flyers as Mason was beaten early by Rangers forward Dominic Moore on a wraparound.
That goal looked preventable for Mason, but it was the only blemish for the 25-year-old goalie. Philadelphia was out-shot 16-6 in the first period, but they entered the intermission tied thanks to their netminder’s efforts.
Jakub Voracek scored a power-play goal at 7:22 of the second period to put Philadelphia on top tonight.
It seems appropriate that Mason’s first playoff victory comes during the same round as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ first franchise win in the postseason. Until this year, Mason and the Blue Jackets had only ever made the playoffs in 2009 when they were swept by the Detroit Red Wings.
The only bad news for Philadelphia is that defenseman Nicklas Grossmann was hurt when he fell awkwardly into the boards early in the second period. He missed the remainder of the game due to a lower-body injury.
The series is now tied at 2-2 ahead of Game 5 in New York on Sunday (3:00 p.m. ET, NBC).
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)