Apr 25, 2014, 9:49 PM EST
Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has his first postseason victory, but it didn’t come easy. After missing the start of the playoffs due to an upper-body injury, Mason kicked out 37 of 38 shots tonight to lead Philadelphia to a 2-1 victory over the New York Rangers.
The game certainly didn’t have a good start for the Flyers as Mason was beaten early by Rangers forward Dominic Moore on a wraparound.
That goal looked preventable for Mason, but it was the only blemish for the 25-year-old goalie. Philadelphia was out-shot 16-6 in the first period, but they entered the intermission tied thanks to their netminder’s efforts.
Jakub Voracek scored a power-play goal at 7:22 of the second period to put Philadelphia on top tonight.
It seems appropriate that Mason’s first playoff victory comes during the same round as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ first franchise win in the postseason. Until this year, Mason and the Blue Jackets had only ever made the playoffs in 2009 when they were swept by the Detroit Red Wings.
The only bad news for Philadelphia is that defenseman Nicklas Grossmann was hurt when he fell awkwardly into the boards early in the second period. He missed the remainder of the game due to a lower-body injury.
The series is now tied at 2-2 ahead of Game 5 in New York on Sunday (3:00 p.m. ET, NBC).
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)