Apr 24, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Trevor Linden met with Boston Bruins president Cam Neely on Thursday which means, naturally, he sought permission to talk to Bruins assistant general manager Jim Benning about the vacant GM’s job in Vancouver.
But he didn’t. Or maybe he did but he didn’t make the request through official diplomatic channels. It’s hard to know.
As you might have guessed by reading that excerpt, the Canucks’ new president of hockey of operations didn’t share many specifics from his trip to Boston. In meeting with Neely, it’s possible Linden was mostly curious to learn how the Bruins run their operation, one former player in charge of a team he used to star for to another.
As guarded as Linden was in his comments, he did seem to suggest that the hiring of Benning, or any other candidate currently with another organization (like, say, Ron Hextall in Philadelphia), wouldn’t necessarily have to wait until that particular organization was no longer participating in the playoffs.
“The one thing I’ll say is I spoke to several GMs and I haven’t got any push back on timing, whether they’re playing or not,” he said.
Time is a concern for Linden, who still has to decide on the future of head coach John Tortorella. Unless, of course, Linden chooses to leave the coaching decision to the new GM, in which case Tortorella may have to twist in the wind a bit longer.
“I know from the outside people are wondering what’s going on,” said Linden. “But this isn’t a two-week project. The ripple effect of each decision is significant. I have to understand things in the full situation. not just a sliver here or a sliver there.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)