Apr 17, 2014, 4:26 PM EST
From the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre:
Hextall is currently with the Flyers as their assistant general manager and director of hockey operations. It was thought last year when he came to Philadelphia from the Kings organization that he might one day replace GM Paul Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
Hextall’s familiarity with the Western Conference could be an asset if he were to become interested in the Vancouver job. He spent seven years in the Kings’ front office and helped the franchise win its first ever Stanley Cup in 2012.
Another reported candidate to replace Mike Gillis is Bruins AGM Jim Benning.
As for John Tortorella, it was widely presumed the Canucks would make a decision on their head coach this week. He’s apparently met twice with new president of hockey operations Trevor Linden.
Earlier this week, Tortorella made some waves when he called the Canucks’ core “stale.”
“It needs youth. It needs a change,” he said. “We’re not in 2011.”
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 5
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 8
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 26
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 33
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2