Apr 17, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
From the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre:
2 things I'm hearing: from the Canucks, nothing on Torts; from elsewhere, Ron Hextall in the mix for Van GM job.—
Iain MacIntyre (@imacVanSun) April 17, 2014
Hextall is currently with the Flyers as their assistant general manager and director of hockey operations. It was thought last year when he came to Philadelphia from the Kings organization that he might one day replace GM Paul Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
Hextall’s familiarity with the Western Conference could be an asset if he were to become interested in the Vancouver job. He spent seven years in the Kings’ front office and helped the franchise win its first ever Stanley Cup in 2012.
Another reported candidate to replace Mike Gillis is Bruins AGM Jim Benning.
As for John Tortorella, it was widely presumed the Canucks would make a decision on their head coach this week. He’s apparently met twice with new president of hockey operations Trevor Linden.
Earlier this week, Tortorella made some waves when he called the Canucks’ core “stale.”
“It needs youth. It needs a change,” he said. “We’re not in 2011.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)