Apr 17, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
From the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre:
Hextall is currently with the Flyers as their assistant general manager and director of hockey operations. It was thought last year when he came to Philadelphia from the Kings organization that he might one day replace GM Paul Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
Hextall’s familiarity with the Western Conference could be an asset if he were to become interested in the Vancouver job. He spent seven years in the Kings’ front office and helped the franchise win its first ever Stanley Cup in 2012.
Another reported candidate to replace Mike Gillis is Bruins AGM Jim Benning.
As for John Tortorella, it was widely presumed the Canucks would make a decision on their head coach this week. He’s apparently met twice with new president of hockey operations Trevor Linden.
Earlier this week, Tortorella made some waves when he called the Canucks’ core “stale.”
“It needs youth. It needs a change,” he said. “We’re not in 2011.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)