Apr 17, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
From the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre:
Hextall is currently with the Flyers as their assistant general manager and director of hockey operations. It was thought last year when he came to Philadelphia from the Kings organization that he might one day replace GM Paul Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
Hextall’s familiarity with the Western Conference could be an asset if he were to become interested in the Vancouver job. He spent seven years in the Kings’ front office and helped the franchise win its first ever Stanley Cup in 2012.
Another reported candidate to replace Mike Gillis is Bruins AGM Jim Benning.
As for John Tortorella, it was widely presumed the Canucks would make a decision on their head coach this week. He’s apparently met twice with new president of hockey operations Trevor Linden.
Earlier this week, Tortorella made some waves when he called the Canucks’ core “stale.”
“It needs youth. It needs a change,” he said. “We’re not in 2011.”
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 8
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 4
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 48
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)