Apr 17, 2014, 4:26 PM EST
From the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre:
Hextall is currently with the Flyers as their assistant general manager and director of hockey operations. It was thought last year when he came to Philadelphia from the Kings organization that he might one day replace GM Paul Holmgren.
“I do want to be a general manager,” Hextall said, per NHL.com. “I talked to [Holmgren] about that when we talked about this job. If something else becomes available, I at least want to look at it. He was absolutely fine with that. My goal still hasn’t changed in terms of where I want this to all end.”
Hextall’s familiarity with the Western Conference could be an asset if he were to become interested in the Vancouver job. He spent seven years in the Kings’ front office and helped the franchise win its first ever Stanley Cup in 2012.
Another reported candidate to replace Mike Gillis is Bruins AGM Jim Benning.
As for John Tortorella, it was widely presumed the Canucks would make a decision on their head coach this week. He’s apparently met twice with new president of hockey operations Trevor Linden.
Earlier this week, Tortorella made some waves when he called the Canucks’ core “stale.”
“It needs youth. It needs a change,” he said. “We’re not in 2011.”
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 21
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 16
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 13
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 10
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4