Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
While much will be made of Pittsburgh’s shortcomings and Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury‘s questionable play towards the end of Game 4 on Wednesday, the fact remains that the Columbus Blue Jackets never quit and they were rewarded for their persistence with a 4-3 overtime victory.
The Blue Jackets down 3-0 midway through the first period, just days after blowing a 3-1 lead to the Penguins. They had every reason to be demoralized. Instead Columbus earned its franchise’s first playoff victory at home and tied the series at two in the process.
“You don’t want to script this game going down 3-0…but you can’t script a better finish,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said, per the team’s Twitter account.
The Blue Jackets’ night does feel like something out of a story. Brandon Dubinsky tied the contest with just 24 seconds remaining in regulation.
Then he went out and did just that.
The franchise started playing in 2000 and they hadn’t won a playoff contest going into this series, but that’s in the past now and the team’s future looks brighter.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 0
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)