Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
While much will be made of Pittsburgh’s shortcomings and Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury‘s questionable play towards the end of Game 4 on Wednesday, the fact remains that the Columbus Blue Jackets never quit and they were rewarded for their persistence with a 4-3 overtime victory.
The Blue Jackets down 3-0 midway through the first period, just days after blowing a 3-1 lead to the Penguins. They had every reason to be demoralized. Instead Columbus earned its franchise’s first playoff victory at home and tied the series at two in the process.
“You don’t want to script this game going down 3-0…but you can’t script a better finish,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said, per the team’s Twitter account.
The Blue Jackets’ night does feel like something out of a story. Brandon Dubinsky tied the contest with just 24 seconds remaining in regulation.
Then he went out and did just that.
The franchise started playing in 2000 and they hadn’t won a playoff contest going into this series, but that’s in the past now and the team’s future looks brighter.
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)