Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EST
While much will be made of Pittsburgh’s shortcomings and Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury‘s questionable play towards the end of Game 4 on Wednesday, the fact remains that the Columbus Blue Jackets never quit and they were rewarded for their persistence with a 4-3 overtime victory.
The Blue Jackets down 3-0 midway through the first period, just days after blowing a 3-1 lead to the Penguins. They had every reason to be demoralized. Instead Columbus earned its franchise’s first playoff victory at home and tied the series at two in the process.
“You don’t want to script this game going down 3-0…but you can’t script a better finish,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said, per the team’s Twitter account.
The Blue Jackets’ night does feel like something out of a story. Brandon Dubinsky tied the contest with just 24 seconds remaining in regulation.
Then he went out and did just that.
The franchise started playing in 2000 and they hadn’t won a playoff contest going into this series, but that’s in the past now and the team’s future looks brighter.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)