Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
While much will be made of Pittsburgh’s shortcomings and Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury‘s questionable play towards the end of Game 4 on Wednesday, the fact remains that the Columbus Blue Jackets never quit and they were rewarded for their persistence with a 4-3 overtime victory.
The Blue Jackets down 3-0 midway through the first period, just days after blowing a 3-1 lead to the Penguins. They had every reason to be demoralized. Instead Columbus earned its franchise’s first playoff victory at home and tied the series at two in the process.
“You don’t want to script this game going down 3-0…but you can’t script a better finish,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said, per the team’s Twitter account.
The Blue Jackets’ night does feel like something out of a story. Brandon Dubinsky tied the contest with just 24 seconds remaining in regulation.
Then he went out and did just that.
The franchise started playing in 2000 and they hadn’t won a playoff contest going into this series, but that’s in the past now and the team’s future looks brighter.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (47)