Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury was solid for most of Wednesday’s 4-3 overtime loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, but he looked pretty bad on the game-tying and overtime goals.
It might just be shrugged off as a bad performance if it was an isolated incident, but Fleury now has a 3.18 GAA and .903 save percentage in the 2014 playoffs after a solid regular season.
That follows an all-too familiar script that sees Fleury excel in the regular season and then take a step back when it matters the most. An argument can be made that he’s struggled in every playoff run since the Penguins won the Stanley Cup in 2009.
With that in mind, it’s perhaps not surprising that the reaction to Fleury’s performance on Wednesday was heavily critical despite the great saves he made earlier in the game. Here’s a sampling of the reaction on Twitter from a number of notable hockey writers and commentators:
Not only is the series tied, but Playoff Fleury is baaaack. Columbus is in this damn thing!
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) April 24, 2014
I feel bad for Fleury. He’s so calamity-prone he should carry around an “Oops” sign, like Wile E. Coyote.
— Harrison Mooney (@HarrisonMooney) April 24, 2014
As much as Marc-Andre Fleury is an absolute hot mess vs Columbus, Dan Bylsma should be scrutinized heavily. Something very wrong in Pitt
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) April 24, 2014
And this is the worst thing that can happen for PIT. Not 2-2 back home; that it's now a Fleury Series.
— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) April 24, 2014
"The amount of criticism Fleury is enduring is inexcusable. We are ready to offer him critique-free safe haven" – the KHL, soon #Pens
— Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud) April 24, 2014
I've been one of Fleury's biggest supporters (look at his W-L record) but if he doesn't lock down this series, the whispers get even louder.
— Jack Michaels (@EdmontonJack) April 24, 2014
Ya gotta keep going w/Fleury. Let's see if that's sports psychology paid off. But Marc has 1 foot on a banana peel &another 1 out the door.
— Mark Madden (@MarkMaddenX) April 24, 2014
Turns out Flyers aren't the only team in Fleury's head.
— Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) April 24, 2014
So Fleury is a great goalie because he's won and Lundqvist isn't because he hasn't, right? Just checking.
— Rangers Report (@rangersreport) April 24, 2014
Fleury messed up on the final two goals. Can't deny that. But his teammates were outshot 46-25 by the Blue Jackets. Can't deny that, either.
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) April 24, 2014
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 92
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)