Apr 22, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Gary Bettman met with hockey press on Tuesday to address a wide variety of subjects, even if most of it seemed to be “business as usual” updates. Let’s rattle off some of the biggest talking points compiled from Bettman quotes via reporters such as ESPN’s Katie Strang and the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross:
Update: If you want the full questions and answers rather than paraphrases, click here.
Hate shootouts? Bad news, although you probably shouldn’t be surprised if you’ve been following the NHL … since the beginning of the shootout’s use. Bettman said they’re here to stay and explains that fans like them (especially more than ties).
/Gives hardcore fans a moment to seethe.
Bettman gives a “wild guess” that the salary cap ceiling will fall somewhere between $69 to $70 million. There were some, including Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi, who had some concerns about the ceiling being affected by the Canadian dollar.
The NHL’s commissioner didn’t provide a ton of information about Charles Wang courting suitors for the New York Islanders, although he noted that they’re still Brooklyn-bound regardless.
Washington Capitals vs. ? in the 2015 Winter Classic
No answer yet:
Again, overall it sounds like the messages came down to business as usual. At least the salary cap update/guess indicates that business could be pretty strong during the offseason.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 11
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 12
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5