Apr 22, 2014, 7:50 PM EST
Gary Bettman met with hockey press on Tuesday to address a wide variety of subjects, even if most of it seemed to be “business as usual” updates. Let’s rattle off some of the biggest talking points compiled from Bettman quotes via reporters such as ESPN’s Katie Strang and the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross:
Update: If you want the full questions and answers rather than paraphrases, click here.
Hate shootouts? Bad news, although you probably shouldn’t be surprised if you’ve been following the NHL … since the beginning of the shootout’s use. Bettman said they’re here to stay and explains that fans like them (especially more than ties).
/Gives hardcore fans a moment to seethe.
Bettman gives a “wild guess” that the salary cap ceiling will fall somewhere between $69 to $70 million. There were some, including Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi, who had some concerns about the ceiling being affected by the Canadian dollar.
The NHL’s commissioner didn’t provide a ton of information about Charles Wang courting suitors for the New York Islanders, although he noted that they’re still Brooklyn-bound regardless.
Washington Capitals vs. ? in the 2015 Winter Classic
No answer yet:
Again, overall it sounds like the messages came down to business as usual. At least the salary cap update/guess indicates that business could be pretty strong during the offseason.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)