Apr 22, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Gary Bettman met with hockey press on Tuesday to address a wide variety of subjects, even if most of it seemed to be “business as usual” updates. Let’s rattle off some of the biggest talking points compiled from Bettman quotes via reporters such as ESPN’s Katie Strang and the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross:
Update: If you want the full questions and answers rather than paraphrases, click here.
Hate shootouts? Bad news, although you probably shouldn’t be surprised if you’ve been following the NHL … since the beginning of the shootout’s use. Bettman said they’re here to stay and explains that fans like them (especially more than ties).
/Gives hardcore fans a moment to seethe.
Bettman gives a “wild guess” that the salary cap ceiling will fall somewhere between $69 to $70 million. There were some, including Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi, who had some concerns about the ceiling being affected by the Canadian dollar.
The NHL’s commissioner didn’t provide a ton of information about Charles Wang courting suitors for the New York Islanders, although he noted that they’re still Brooklyn-bound regardless.
Washington Capitals vs. ? in the 2015 Winter Classic
No answer yet:
Again, overall it sounds like the messages came down to business as usual. At least the salary cap update/guess indicates that business could be pretty strong during the offseason.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)