Mar 7, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
A falling Canadian dollar is expected to have a significant impact on the NHL’s salary cap for next season, Kings general manager Dean Lombardi has been told.
“We found out, to our chagrin and surprise the other day, we had been told the cap was going to be $71 [million] and now with the Canadian dollar having tanked, that the cap could be as low as $68 [million]. That’s a huge swing,” Lombardi said, per the Los Angeles Times.
Via CapGeek, you can see why this could be an issue for Lombardi:
That’s the top 10 cap payrolls for 2014-15, with the number of players under contract in the far right column.
Now, a few of those teams will get relief via compliance buyouts (see: the Brad Richards debate in New York). And there will no doubt be some trades.
But it will still be interesting to see where the final cap number falls, and what impact that could have on personnel decisions.
PS — Only two of the seven Canadian teams (Montreal and Toronto) appear likely to make the playoffs, if that’s relevant here.
PPS — And even if it’s not, wow, only two?
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)