Mar 7, 2014, 12:07 PM EST
A falling Canadian dollar is expected to have a significant impact on the NHL’s salary cap for next season, Kings general manager Dean Lombardi has been told.
“We found out, to our chagrin and surprise the other day, we had been told the cap was going to be $71 [million] and now with the Canadian dollar having tanked, that the cap could be as low as $68 [million]. That’s a huge swing,” Lombardi said, per the Los Angeles Times.
Via CapGeek, you can see why this could be an issue for Lombardi:
That’s the top 10 cap payrolls for 2014-15, with the number of players under contract in the far right column.
Now, a few of those teams will get relief via compliance buyouts (see: the Brad Richards debate in New York). And there will no doubt be some trades.
But it will still be interesting to see where the final cap number falls, and what impact that could have on personnel decisions.
PS — Only two of the seven Canadian teams (Montreal and Toronto) appear likely to make the playoffs, if that’s relevant here.
PPS — And even if it’s not, wow, only two?
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)