Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit

Apr 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EST

DavidBackesAP AP

On Sunday, video circulated online of what sounded like a Blackhawks player taunting Blues captain David Backes in the aftermath of the Brent Seabrook hit by saying “wakey wakey, Backes.”

On Monday, Duncan Keith — who some alleged to be the guy that said it — confirmed that things were said on the ice, but couldn’t remember what the verbal exchanges consisted of.

From the Chicago Sun-Times:

Keith, who had come in to support Seabrook after the hit resulted in a melee, was standing along the boards near Backes at the time. Keith didn’t deny saying it, but didn’t admit it, either.

“There’s lots of things that get said out on the ice in the course of a hockey game, especially in playoffs,” Keith said Monday. “I’m an emotional guy, it’s an emotional game. I don’t remember everything that gets said out there. I didn’t even see the hit, to be honest with you. I’m playing the puck and I shot the puck around, the next thing you know, I see Seabs getting in a fracas, so I jumped in there. I don’t know what was going on.”

Asked again if he said it, Keith added, “I don’t remember everything that gets said.”

Here’s the video. Listen carefully beginning around 40 seconds in — the “wakey wakey, Backes” chirp occurs around the 45-second mark:

You can see St. Louis’ Alex Steen visibly irate with something he heard, though it’s unclear who said what. When asked specifically about the Backes taunt, Chicago captain Jonathan Toews offered a similar response to Keith.

“I don’t know, some things were said in the heat of the moment,” he said. “Most of that stuff goes unheard on the part of the fans and media.

“It’s not easy to not regret some of the things that might have been said, whether it’s on that play or any other play. Sometimes that happens.”

125 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. macgrubie - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Hope chicago gets bounced and the legions of new hockey fans go find something else to do…

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

“Bandwagon” comments: Because “nice face” is too highbrow.

2. lowenni - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I didn’t notice this before, but do you see how when Backes first gets up he charges towards the pile to defend his teammates, barely able to stand? I doubt he even remembered that he was the one who was hit but he stumbles over there and attempts to do his job and stand up against the Hawks players. What a captain.

Also, does look like Keith’s mouth is moving and he’s the one who says “wakey wakey”. Classless move after a very dangerous hit.

• tfilarski - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Yep Backes sure is a great leader by example.

• lowenni - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I was praising a specific event, in which he could’ve very well been knocked out, where he epitomized the role of a captain. I wasn’t talking about whatever happened with MacKinnon, I’m talking about how he can barely stand and tries to protect his team.

• beepbeepbeeplgb - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM

irrelevant*

• hanspard - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Mackinnon getting jumped was after Colorado ran Shattenkirk with a headshot into the boards. You need to add some context for that video.

• mackattack29 - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:20 AM

Hanspard. Did mackinnon have absolutely anything to do with the clean hit on shattenkirk where he injured himself with his own stick? Backes attacked mackinnon for no reason whatsoever other than to hurt him because his team was down 4 to nothing and he just couldn’t handle it like a professional? Backes isn’t a good captain. He attacked an 18 year old kid.. If there was ever a code in hockey, I’m sureit wouldn’t allow for that kind of unprovoked mismatch on a kid who had no want or intention to fight. Backes has anger problems. Now that nobody can deny.

• hockey412 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Yeah I don’t know…he doesn’t seem like much more than a beligerant over-sized pest to me. I don’t agree with taunting someone suffering head trauma, but I’m sure as hell not going to say Backes wouldn’t be the first one taunting someone else after making a hit similar to this (and he’d be willing to make the hit). Lost some respect for him this year. Hope he gets better though.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Backes is a hard player, but I can bet you he wouldn’t taunt an injured opponent. Toews looked real tough talking trash on Backes too. He’s never that mouthy when Backes is out there, but I guess a semi unconscious player isn’t much of a threat. Knees by Bickell, headshot by Seabiscuit, elbow by Keith, and taunting injured players… haha and BLUES are the “goons”.

Also, if I see the chick in the green jersey at Game 5 (if there is one), I’m going to grab her by the hair and ragdoll that biatch.

• elvispocomo - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

@jhaegs: You’d ragdoll that girl in the green? Because it’s much easier than doing so to Keith, or because you generally make stupid comments over the internet that’d never happen in real life?

I don’t disagree with the comments on Backes, nor that there were some dirty plays by the Hawks, but to lower yourself to that level to say you’d beat up a woman because she acted like a douche at a hockey game is pretty stupid.

• imleftcoast - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I had thought Toews trash talking, but I can’t tell if he’s just making his case to the ref. The major turned out to be significant, and the Hawks are down to 2-0. I would expect more from Toews so I’d give him a pass. That chick in the green is a pig.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM

It’s a joke, Elvis. Calm your t¡ts…

• mackattack29 - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Exactly. Backes is the last player who deserves praise of any kind. The rest of the players on other teams are forced to tolerate his antics of running around and trying to board and high hit everyone in sight.

• RightWired - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:01 PM

100% legal hit.

• titansrbeast - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Haha, something tells me you’re TRYING to get thumbs down. Good on you, sir.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Nope, that stupid…

• elvispocomo - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Right wired, because the left half of the brain is non-functioning.

• elvispocomo - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM

That’s actually not an uncommon reaction after a concussion. As you come to the initial response is to get back to your feet and continue doing whatever it was you were doing just prior to being hit. It’s like the brain got a hard reboot and started up where it left off, in this case in the middle of a hockey game with play ongoing.

3. imleftcoast - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Even if Keith didn’t see the play, ‘wakey, wakey’ would indicate he knew Backes was concussed. I didn’t appreciate the Hawks reaction. Another player’s health is where you draw the line, but Keith doesn’t have a history of respecting other player’s health so this really isn’t much a surprise.

• r8rbhawk - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I disagree, being knocked unconscious does not always mean the person will suffer a concussion. He may have just noticed Backes was wobbly, and decided chirp about it. Not the best reaction, but let’s not forget, these two teams HATE each other, I would have expected the same reaction from the Blues.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Nope. Wrong. Unconscious=concussion.

• tridecagon - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, if you get hit in the head hard enough to cause loss of consciousness, it’s a concussion. That doesn’t necessarily mean that you will have post-concussion syndrome that will keep you out of the sport for months or years, but you definitely have a concussion.

• killerpgh - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM

There are 3 different grades of concussions. Any time a person loses consciousness (even for a few seconds) in ruled as the grade II concussion by every medical report I have read. Most consider any unconsciousness to be a level III and treat it as such.

• r8rbhawk - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM

very well boys, based off your citation of medical reports I realize my mistake, I do not have a leg to stand on

• bruins4ever - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Keith was looking to injure someone the whole night with his stick, the only surprising thing in this incident is that it was Seabrook and not Keith who delivered the hit. Keith is well known for these types of comments, and also for cheapshots, Sedin I think at the end of last year, and didn’t show any remorse.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Keith was hacking and whacking ankles the entire game. Not to mention the elbow on Lappy that got called a high stick. We’re the goons though.

4. salmon90 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM

We shouldn’t be surprised of dirty Duncan failing to own up to his antics. It’s been going on for years. I’ve beer seen such a ‘clean’ player do so many scum baggy things.

5. sigep316 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM

If either team builds a lead tonight this game will get nasty. reaves is *#ssed at what he heard. Toews and Keith will get asked to answer the bell either way.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:33 PM

If either team gets a 3-goal lead by second intermission–call it. Otherwise, it’s going to be “That Game” that all the haters point to in the future when they talk about how “terrible” hockey is.

• drewzducks - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:55 PM

That’s genius. The Leafs could’ve used your logic during Game 7 last year.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Well, I did say fully expecting it to happen because of tons of precedent and the knowledge that no team has ever scored 4 goals in the third period.

6. enollatsknarf - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I bet Backes doesn’t remember who taunted him either.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM

That’s ok. Reaves does.

7. wishingtonredslur - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Does anybody else wish for the days when pro athletes would rather cut of their legs than admit to being “emotional.” When did they all get pregnant?

8. joey4id - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I hope the young man is ok. That was an over the edge hit, but I don’t believe Seabrook intentionally targeted the head. He deserves the suspension though. If the initial point of contact would have been the chest, then the Blues could have made a case for a late hit. Backes got hit by the shoulder squarely in the face, and then the back of his head snapped back and hit the boards. Can you imagine how the brain was compressed and decompressed after the initial contact, and then some more after his head hit the boards?

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Yes, yes I can.

• 2qswing - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Joey,
      You and I agree, whats going on?

• joey4id - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:53 PM

hehehehe! Great minds think alike….. well! Sometimes. Enjoy another night of great hockey.

9. djshnooks - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Scumbag, hope he gets his neck snapped.

10. mjdkid100 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Toews looks real classy there too…

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Never talks trash to Backes when he’s healthy…

• gret9 - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Toews has dropped the gloves with Backes in the past, but don’t let the facts get in the way of your BS.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Only so he doesn’t look like a punk when Backes wants to go at it

11. imgoingtowichita - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:50 PM

It was funny to hear live. Hockey is awesome!!

12. 33to22 - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Dirty, dirty Duncan Keith. 💩

13. beepbeepbeeplgb - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM

class bunch of folks in chicago: http://www.trendingt-shirts.com/trendingtshirts/Red-Wakey_Wakey_Backes_T-Shirt/SKU-TT_G800_SS1915/1000647-1007372

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Capitalism.

• RightWired - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I’ll buy 3. What’ is Backes’ home address? I’ll send a couple he can use for diving practice.

• mackattack29 - Apr 22, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Hahaha so true.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Then again, what else have they had to cheer about?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Probably the same idiots who did the “Horry Cow” for Fukudome or the ChicagoStronger from last year (though once Boston sports teams started using that as a slogan, it instantly cheapened the meaning of it.)

So it’s 25% idiots, 75% what wichita said.

14. tripps3 - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Wow – PHT on a witch hunt for the Hawks. Wait, there is taunting in sports? I didn’t know that. Aside, gotta love the basis for this story is pure speculation. Come on guys.

• jetsnhawks - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I know right? Obviously most posters on here have never played any sport whatsoever, or are simply biased blues fans! Chirping and taunting go on in every single game,every night. Not to mention the hit wasn’t dirty, bsckes had his head down and Seabrook kept his elbow down.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:55 PM

More like a b*tch hunt…

15. titansbro - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Why is it that if a player makes a questionable hit, once or twice in a career, that he is labeled dirty for the rest of his career? Has Backes really been that bad? Or is everyone still butthurt about the McKinnon incident?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM

No, he’s been pretty bad. He’s in that “never been suspended, therefore completely clean and hard-nosed” crowd that Dustin Brown is in. You know, the crowd Keith used to be in.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Show some videos of Backes throwing elbows and knees or STFU

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:01 PM

What was I thinking? He’s such a clean, hard-nosed player.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM

So he bumps into a guy that goes flying and wrestles someone to the ground? So vicious!!! Again, show me some knees and elbows or STFU. By those videos, I guess you think Keith, Seabrook, and Bickell are 20x dirtier from their antics on Saturday.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I think you just clowned yourself.

On the Kreider hit alone, Kreider shot the puck from the left, skated behind the net, Backes hits him late sending his head into the boards on the right side of the goal.

If Seabrook had done that to Backes, you’d have driven to his house with a ball bat. Hard to ignore the homerism.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I’d probably use a golf club and then leave it there for him to use next week…

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM

It’s so weird, I remember comments like this when the Hawks imploded early in the Detroit series last year. And I just sat there telling everyone it wasn’t over. We’ll see what happens, but pardon my lack of panic right now.

16. titansbro - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Why is it that if a player makes a questionable hit, once, twice, or even a few more in a career, that he is labeled dirty for the rest of his career? Has Backes really been that bad? Or is everyone still butthurt about the McKinnon incident?

17. RightWired - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Fact: Seabrook did not leave his feet until after contact. Backes was not skating with his head up. Seabrook, who took 11 minor penalties in 82 games, led with his shoulder.

Therefore, it is a 100% legal hit. Any other conclusion is factually incorrect and intellectually dishonest.

• tved12 - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Fact: Principal point of contact was the head. He also didn’t have the puck, nor did he ever have possession.

Therefore, it is a 100% illegal hit. Any other conclusion is factually incorrect and intellectually dishonest.

• kyzslew77 - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Backes didn’t have the puck, dummy. Using big words to try to claim the argument doesn’t work when you’re this completely wrong.

18. graymalkin26 - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Typical stupid Americans, no class.

• RightWired - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:09 PM

And which country are you from that calls on us when they get invaded, or relies on their military to defend?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Pretty sure Keith is Canadian.

• phx7355 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM

And Backes is American.

• imleftcoast - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:20 PM

And Malkin is Russian, unless its gray michelle malkin.

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM

26… Don’t paint all Canadians with that brush. You must be one of the select few Hab fans that boo the American anthem. That is classless!

19. r8rbhawk - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Oh my, someone said “wakey wakey,” we better string them up. I am surprised we didn’t hear something more like, “keep your f**ckin head up.” The boys incessantly chirp, it is part of the game, deal with it and move on. We would have heard far worse from Yappy Lappy, Steve Ott or Shawzer. Take a number, play on.

• 2qswing - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM

hawk… another internet tough guy telling NHL players to just keep your head up and everything will be OK.
      Here is a news flash. there are thousands of nhl games every year and in every one of them, once, twice, maybe more, someone gets a puck in the skates. and has their head down. or they are attempting to locate wrap-around on the boards and they have their head down. Doesn’t give any player the right to head shot them, much less hear it from on-line, thursday night men’s league heros about keeping their head up. Good hard clean hit … no problem. But apparently you cant tell the difference. Play-on you say? … KMA. Should Steve Moore have just played on? These are dangerous life and or career threatening plays, not tough plays. These are the toughest best conditioned athletes in the world, playing the toughest game in the word in the toughest league. Save you lectures for coaching your mite team. I’m sure they will really think you’re a tough guy.

• r8rbhawk - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Clearly I did not articulate my comment well enough, as I do not want to be considered an internet tough guy. let me keep it simple; all I am saying is I am surprised everyone is up in arms regarding the comment “wakey wakey” These boys incessantly chirp at each other, I doubt that was the worst thing said during the altercation…

• salmon90 - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM

r8hawk – chirping at each other is one thing and I get the heat of the moment thing but Backes could barely stand on his feet. There’s a line that was crossed here. If it were Lapierre saying ‘wakey wakey’ to Toews I’m pretty sure people would have a problem – wouldn’t you? Keith is one of the best players in the league no doubt but he’s also among the dirtiest. His track record speaks for itself.

• r8rbhawk - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM

just wanted to add this as it completely sums up my point. This is what Brenden Morrow had to say about “wakey wakey.”

“David hasn’t told us what was said, so I don’t know what was said, what the cameras caught,” Morrow said. “That doesn’t matter. There’s gamesmanship. I’m sure that wasn’t the worst thing said. It just wasn’t caught on camera. That’s the way it goes, and we’re not going to react to that.”

20. nunan - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Don’t care about the “wakey wakey” stuff. It’s just talk and there is MUCH worse said out there, in a playoff game, with 20,000 screaming fans feeding the emotion. What does need to be addressed by the Blues and the refs is all the stick-work by Keith. Not sure I’ve seen that much blatant hacking before. He’s not even trying to hide it. Vicious.

21. mjdkid100 - Apr 21, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Its not that there was trash talk, its that the idiot Hawks are trash talking a guy that’s barely conscious after a dirty hit.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:03 PM

It’s no use, man. It’s like thugs thinking that drugs and violence is the norm. Rednecks thinking incest is acceptable. China and India thinking that killing baby girls isn’t murder…

When you’re raised a certain way, you honestly don’t know you’re doing anything wrong. It’s not their fault they have no class, and I pity them.

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Or perhaps threatening to beat a woman while writing on a blog. Your correct those people are despicable. Ooh wait, didn’t you…….oh never mind.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM

“Ragdoll”, not beat. Maybe take her out for a nice seafood dinner, and never call her again!!! She deserves nothing less.

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Too soon?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I think my head just exploded.

It’s like Nickelback talking about their artistic integrity.

22. bigdong28 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:12 PM

The best part is the Hawks are losing where it counts…in the series. I don’t have a problem with them as a team but some of their cheap shots are outright dangerous like this one…just a dangerous hit. Hopefully they get swept. classless team.

• awade9233 - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Even a person with a username “big dong” can see how classless the Hawks are. How ironic and impressive.

23. packinggreens - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Wakey wakey backes

24. tripps3 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Just looked up major penalty minutes for the West this season. St. Louis has 3 guys in the top 20, Hawks have none. Bad hit by Seabrook, yes – St. Louis fans calling Hawks a dirty team – I don’t think so

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Fighting is dirty now?

25. savior72 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Hey, someone Wakey Wakey Seabrook. He’s sleeping in today.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Well, he made an early tee time for next week, and wants to be well rested.

26. kingsfan93 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:32 PM

D. Keith is a classless player. “Wakey Wakey” Keith end up saying, too. Maybe one day Keith get a taste of his own medicine.

• jetsnhawks - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Get a taste of his own medicine? As in have another player trash talk him? Hmm pretty sure that happens to every player on a nightly basis. The funny thing is that people like you try and demonize a player like keith for words he “may” have said and disregard the fact that Backes is the one who is a dirty player. You talk about getting a taste of your own medicine, well Backes just did.

• awade9233 - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM

So much ignorance in one reply…you’re just as classy as the organization and player you are defending.

27. flyerincowtown - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM

5 min Charging Penalty at the most. Never left his feet and tucked his elbow in so just lead with his shoulder, like you are supposed to when hitting. Pee Wee knee jerk call by the league!

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Shoulder. To the head. Upward motion. Never had possession of puck. Seabiscuit had plenty of time to avoid it. Are we confused here???

28. njadvocate111 - Apr 21, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Is this really a discussion? Literally every single player remaining in the playoffs chirps. It was a bad outcome in a bad situation. Got the 3 games he deserved and that’s that. Get off your high horses and stop acting like you are all above getting caught in the heat of the moment.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Clearly Blues fans think they are. You know, “Hockey the right way.”

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Is that Florio posting?

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:57 PM

• awade9233 - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Pathetic excuse for a classless move.

29. sjsharks66 - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM

All Hawks fans “Orpik is a POS and so dirty! No respect for any players! He’s so bad!”

Couple of weeks later their players taunt a guy who was unconscious from a disgusting hit laid by one of their team mates. Keep it classy Chicago!

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:44 PM

“That’s different because… well… ummm…

Toews! Kane! Go win a Cup! Da Bears!”

-Blackhawks Fans

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Actually, I thought most Hawk fans (minus idiots) thought it was was a legal hit.

By someone who relishes injuring players, but clean hit.

I don’t think so with Seabrook.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I don’t think Seabs is dirty. I’m PO’d that he was reckless and took out our captain- then laughed his way to the box. I’m PO’d at the lack of respect by “whoever” taunted him while he was down. I’m PO’d that Hawks fans continue to defend Seabs and mocked his injury (here and at the game).

I’m happy that the Blues responded the right way, that we won, and that the correct punishment was handed out.

I hope the Blues channel their emotions the right way tonight, and play their game. The best revenge would be winning for Backes- it’d be really funny if Seab’s replacement, Brookbank, gives up a breakaway goal or something.

A lot of scenarios could play out:

-Blues play their game with Backes in the back of their mind.

-Reaves and Bollig square off and settle everything down for both teams.

-Blues go headhunting and get torched.

Gonna be an interesting game, and we’ll be able to tell 5min in.

30. dumbassgreg - Apr 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM

it really has become a battle for the bottom of the barrel. between vancouver,boston and chicago fans and teams. anytime someone does something to them it as quenniville has said numerous the worse thing he has ever seen. they completely excuse anything one of their does. no wonder they hate each other. they see reflections of themselves when they look at the other. not a pretty picture.. prefer the jon cooper of the world. speaks honestly then moves on with humor.

• imleftcoast - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I wouldn’t describe it that way. The first-round has been awesome. More intensity in a couple days than in the past two months of the regular season. Vancouver didn’t even make the playoffs. I’m not sure how they are responsible – other than for improving overall play by being absent.

31. eglsfan - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM

@ jhaegs calm down tough guy…your blow up doll might get jealous

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:53 PM

The “reply” button is a beautiful thing.

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Unless of course your using the app where there is reply button.

32. eglsfan - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Hey St Louis fans……remind me of the last time you won the Cup…you are as douchey as your baseball fans

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 6:52 PM

There it is!!!

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:04 PM

And is that an Eagles fan passing judgement?

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:32 PM

EASY! Leave the classiest organization in ALL of sport out of this.
      Go Cards (today, tomorrow & forever) friends

33. sburns20 - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:34 PM

How is what toews did wrong? Seemed like he was staying between backes and the melee to avoid a bigger mess. And tape on what he said? What if he was saying relax and stay there or something. Haven’t heard anything bad in the past in regards to Toews.

• jhaegs - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:16 PM

For one, the ref and trainer stopped Toews from getting to Backes. Then Goews kept chirping while he was skating away, and Backes didn’t seem to like what he was saying. I like Toews though, so hopefully he didn’t do it.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:34 PM

80% sure it was Keith. Almost certain it was not Toews. Too much personality in the voice.

Toews doesn’t shy away from Backes. He is one of the few people Toews will regularly fight. (Donkey Punch Joe Thornton being the other.)

I personally think Toews was working the refs at that point, but if he did say something, he would have still said it to a non – injured Backes.

34. 7mantel - Apr 21, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Always thought Keith was a standup guy ,but it does appear he is the one taunting Backes ! Gutless not to admit it !

35. fathead85 - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I dont think neither keith or toews will say any of that next year when backes is healthy and ready to drop the gloves

36. thebigwhitecat - Apr 21, 2014 at 8:56 PM

It’s good to be the champs. Maybe St. Louis is our new Vancouver.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Are you serious? New Vancouver? That was a three-year blip.

37. sburns20 - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I’m pretty sure Keith will say whatever he says no matter who is around.

38. bluebru14 - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Sure,as long as a ref or linesman is holding on to the one he’s talking to.

39. bluesdroogie - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM

i don’t remember hawks fans defending Torres when he knocked out Hossa last year. I guess they have a short memory. Nobody likes players getting injured, I know seabrook does not have torres’ history but the end result is the same. a teams star is out. its kind of sickening hearing all the terrible comments made by both sides reguarding this play. I like heavy hits but I don’t want players injured, or a play that could ruin another players career and jeopardize his quality of life. I understand rivalries and I get the hawks and blues hate each other. the hit was bad and should not have happened.

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins