Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

Chicago’s Brent Seabrook became the instant hot-button player at the conclusion of St. Louis’ 4-3 overtime win.

Seabrook’s hit on Blues captain David Backes with 4:51 left in the third period knocked Backes out of the game and gave St. Louis the major power play they needed to tie the game.

Seabrook did his best to try and explain just what he was doing on the play as he told reporters following the game as Brian Hedger from NHL.com relayed.

“I was just trying to make a play on Backes,” Seabrook said. “I thought the puck was there … I just tried to finish my hit. We’ll see what happens. I feel bad seeing a guy like that on the ice. I’ve been there myself. I’m not trying to target his head. I’m not trying to do anything like that. It doesn’t feel good to see a player like that lying there like that, knowing that I hit him.

It wasn’t my intent. It was hit … it’s a physical series. Hits have been laid like that from both sides the whole series. I hope Backes is feeling alright and I hope he’s doing OK. I guess that’s all I can say.”

Seabrook was given a five-minute major for charging and could be facing league discipline for the hit.

If you missed it in our earlier post, here’s the play once again. Feel free to debate suspensions in the comments.

1. laxman1944 - Apr 19, 2014 at 6:59 PM

“I was just trying to put Backes into 2nd level mezzanine “

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:03 PM

The dude was on a head hunting mission on that shift,, he got away with 2 hard slashes to the ankle of a Blue’s player and a couple nasty crosschecks out at the blue line before that puck got deep which led to the head shot ! Min he deserves 2 games !

• nyakieee - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:16 PM

He deserves that hit, like he’s no head hunter. Backes, eh who is your daddy now???

• nunan - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM

He was definitely looking for some on that shift. I don’t think any player is ever looking to hit the head though. The whole ‘targeted the head’ thing is a complete myth. Every player knows what will happen if they commit literally the biggest sin in today’s NHL (head contact). They’ll be suspended, lose money, etc. Players want to crush each other at times. Players NEVER intentionally hit the head. There is nothing gained from that and nobody goes looking for that. It happens but it is rarely intentional…unless you’re Cooke.

• bluelinemh - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM

hey elmerbrownelmerbrown,

have you ever seen players jaw at each other in front of the net, players are slashing at each others legs every minute of the game, also that in no way means he is head hunting. There is a difference between getting away with it and letting them play hockey because to me it sounds like you wanted to see a penalty every time a blues player was touched just like every single one of their fans when they are one of the most physical teams in the league themselves, just saying

• lindenfrank123 - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM

what a cheap shot from behind of course that’s the way the Hawks…do it…run interference with the goalie while the refs back is turned…and run interference BEHIND the play…and hit guys from behind….hope he’s suspended for atleast one possibly two games…I HATE THE BLACK HAWKS of course you arrogant black hawk fans know that…

• jyuro - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM

a cheap shot from behind? probably like a lot.

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 19, 2014 at 11:47 PM

We hate you too, jackass

• inngus - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Watch the video again. He wasn’t hit him from behind. You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

• valoisvipers - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Somewhere MacKinnon is smiling.

• mackattack29 - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Karma. That’s all I gotta say.

• cincinata - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Exactly what he intended. He convicts himself. Very Stupid, when the league hears this.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 19, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I believe him – he isn’t a head-hunter and never has been. Did he want to absolutely rock Backes? Of course, it’s hockey and it’s the playoffs. But there was no intent to hit Backes in the head and that was no more than an unfortunate result.

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Maybe he will just get fined 5 LARGE like a Bruin I know !

• nunan - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM

and yet you’ve never see Lucic suspended for a hit to the head that completely knocks a player out. He’s just a BAD man..occasional stick work is nothing.

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Bad Man ???? Zak Rinaldo knocked that bad man on his arrs

• nunan - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:33 PM

haha…ok be honest, how old are you? If you’re a child, I won’t spend much time here. So you clearly live moment to moment bc somehow a hit one player threw on Lucic offsets 7 years of him being one of the most physically dominating forces on the ice? That’s your logic? You’re saying players who get hit are softies? I could locate the video of him KOing Rinaldo if you want.

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:35 PM

He out weighs Rinaldo by 40 pounds Lucic is a puss

• nunan - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:38 PM

okay so you are a child. Thanks. Someday you’ll learn about hockey..it takes time though. You’re clearly jealous he doesn’t play for the Flyers, given the fact you randomly brought his name up on a blog post about something completely different. You got Looch on the mind!

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Go make love to your Mark Walhburgers poster you beantown bum

• nunan - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM

You hate Boston so much! I love it. All you got is Rinaldo. Zach Freaking Rinaldo. Good luck with that..

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Yous got that dbag that sings the anthem and pumps his fist

• 101starmymedic - Apr 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Does Rinaldo cry when he gets hit? No, if anyone so much as bumps Lucic to the ground he gets up and immediately wants to fight them. What a pathetic child. He needs to learn how hockey works. Lucic is an absolutely pathetic excuse for an adult and a professional hockey league player.

• lindenfrank123 - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:23 PM

not a head hunter? you want my glasses pal CUZ YOU’RE BLIND…he will get a suspension…

• nunan - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:28 PM

just because he’s going to get suspended doesn’t mean he was looking to hit Backes’ head. Never understood why people can’t separate the hit from the intent. No player looks to make primary contact with the head, despite the fact that it happens.

• cincinata - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM

1943:
      Of course he was just trying to make a legal hit. Can’t you tell by the smile on the A-H face? However, what happens to all head hunters and hatchet men is they eventually get theirs. Wait until the next time he runs into a bigger hatchet man. They just might end his career? He should be out for the rest of the playoffs, or the league is crazy.

• bobbofranks - Apr 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

He’s already been concussed twice, this is Backes’ first time…. Backes also did a head hit on Torws some years ago, so deposited what you say about Seabrook getting his? He’s been there…

3. speedstickmusk - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:00 PM

From most angles, I didn’t see the puck near Backes’ head…..

• jyuro - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:38 PM

yeah right? because when you hit, you aim for the puck. like a lot.

• paperlions - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Well, the reason to hit in hockey is to separate the player from the puck, if the puck is 12 feet away, there is no reason to hit someone anywhere, much less to aim high. He may not have a history of this kind of thing, but that is kind of irrelevant…as is intent, the point is to make hits that won’t end players years or careers.

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 19, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Well, A reason to hit is to separate a player from the puck (if you are a first/second line scoring forward. If you are in a playoff series you finish EVERY check to 1) wear down the opposition; 2) have them take a split second longer to make the next play (increasing mistakes which we all know lead to scoring chances) 3) impose your will in the series.
        I don’t feel that any of the 350+ players still lacing them up that they hit with the intent to injure. Dave is an integral piece to the Blues and finishing your check (with the belief that the puck is in play) is simply part of how the team sets out to advance to the next round.

4. birdsnblues - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:05 PM

He was leaving his skates and he targeted his head with his shoulder…. 2 game suspension at least

• bobbofranks - Apr 19, 2014 at 10:29 PM

He left his skates AFTER the hit…. That’s not illegal

• inngus - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM

You have to leave your skates PRIOR to the hit. He clearly didn’t do that.

5. mrhyperpants - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Backes was down like a sack of potatoes. So funny when he was trying to stand back up and take Seabrook on. Not that I like to see a player get hurt. But after his douch bag antics on Nathan Mackinnion. This was highly entertaining to see Backes all wobbly legs. Karma right there.

• lindenfrank123 - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:24 PM

funny?mrhyperpants? you’re sick…it’s NOT PART OF THE DAMNED GAME….noone deserves to be hit from behind….noone…Karma my AXX

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 19, 2014 at 11:10 PM

From behind? WHAT?

• jhaegs - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Backes hits hard. Doesn’t throw chicken wings. Or go knee on on people like Bickell. Goon it up Chi-town

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM

“Goon it up Chi-town”. Ha, this coming from a guy who stated earlier in the year that you hoped Brown got his legs broke. By the way where were you in the last 6 games of the regular season? Never mind we know where fair weather fans go during a losing streak.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Oh there you are jhaegs.

As predicted, nowhere to be found during the Blues slump. And now here the frontrunner returns.

The fact you say “goon it up Chi-town” proves what we already knew–that you started watching hockey in October. Otherwise, if you had any memory of Hawks Blues over the past decade, you’d know how ridiculous that for a Blues fan to say.

Let one of the many fine Blues fans remind you what happened the last time St. Louis was up 2-0 in an opening round.

And then let them take care of the idiot Hawk fans reveling in Backes injury.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Btw… doesn’t throw chicken wings?

Seriously–are you doing a bit? Like Blomfeld?

• jhaegs - Apr 20, 2014 at 1:15 AM

My bad. Even though I said I’d be out of town, you guys were probably still looking for me. I guess a fishing trip, work travel, and the birth of my second son aren’t good enough excuses to not grace you with my presence. Seabiscuit laid a dirty hit on our captain. You paid for it in the game, and you’ll pay for it in the series. I was at the game, and the shiit talking Hawk fans deserved this loss.

• hammerhead5573 - Apr 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Yup totally believable. No really it is.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Super convenient. Always happens when the Blues lose. Never when they win.

• inngus - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:50 AM

The Blues are near the top of the league in penalty minutes. The Hawks are near the bottom. And you’re calling the Blackhawks goons? SMH

• cincinata - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:22 PM

As an outsider, I don’t know of the Mackinnion deal. Did Backes knock him out of the game with a hit to the head like he took? I never heard that at all.

6. sumkat - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM

As an outsider….

A, it’s a suspension, and it’s not even close. He never made an attempt to play the puck, which is fine, but if you don’t and hit the guy dirty, there is no excuse.

B, I found it very weak how Toews and Hossa jumped on Steen’s back when he tried to fight Seabrook. He wasn’t “jumping” him, Seabrook wasn’t outnumber. There is no reason for him not to drop the glove there. Very weak move from the Hawks IMO

• comeonnowguys - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM

In regards to B… Backes LOVES going after little guys. So I can’t really work up any outrage unlike the nickel hit. Imo worse of the two.

7. dontbsuchapuss - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Shouldn’t have even been a major it’s hockey get over it you get paid to play a game. Before you know it no contact will be allowed.

• lindenfrank123 - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:26 PM

hockey? not the way I played it or saw it or feel in love with it…not played like that you moron

• micasa81 - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:03 PM

How did you decide where you needed to put periods in that comment?

8. mtheparrothead - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Hockey play. We’d have been debating why he didn’t make that check if he passed on it 5 years ago

9. dwoklives - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Shouldn’t have been a major? What are you smoking? Most likely didn’t intend to hit Backes’ head but c’mon.

• lindenfrank123 - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:27 PM

no what are you smoking? did you not see that? maybe you ought to put the zebra stripes on and officiate because those guys are MISSING A LOT TOO

10. 13datsyuk13 - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Seabrook is a great player who isn’t known for these types of hits. Yes it’s a suspension. It’s not like he’s Raffia Torres

11. lindenfrank123 - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:28 PM

wow not like Raffie Torres? it’s still a DIRTY HIT by a DIRTY PLAYER

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 19, 2014 at 11:57 PM

The only thing you’ve proven is that you don’t know what you’re talking about. Thus, you don’t belong here.

• inngus - Apr 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Seabrook is far from a dirty player. Bad hit? Yes. Intentional headhunting? No way.

12. 950003cups - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Backes changes his level of height just prior to the hit. Shanahan would let it fly. No suspension warranted for that reason alone.

13. kevindunn21 - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Backes clearly came up without the puck. At that point, Seabrook had to stop from leveling him. Dirty hit, with intent, suspension warranted.

• bobbofranks - Apr 19, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Payback for the Toews hit some years ago where Backes DID NOT get suspended

• dwykoff - Apr 19, 2014 at 11:58 PM

You mean when backes beat him like a school boy? And dont give me “toews isnt a fighter”. He shouldn’t let that bulldog mouth talk for that puppy dog ass. Gonna be an interesting handshake after this series

• kevindunn21 - Apr 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I’m an objective viewer. That means nothing to me.

14. peopletrains - Apr 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM

How about watching Toews trash-talking Backes when he couldn’t even stand up? Total coward.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Backes was going after the wrong guy.

By the way, Backes lives to go after the easy pray. Way closer to the coward. Like when he fights renowned pugilist Toews.

• imgoingtowichita - Apr 19, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I know, that was awesome! Oh, you called him a coward. My bad.
      It was Keith that said Wakey Wakey, not Toews.

15. bobbofranks - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Am I the only one that remembers Backes laying a dirty head hit on Toews putting him out of half the season a few years ago? It’s karma… I don’t feel bad for Backes at all.

That being said, it’s a fast paced game and things happen quickly. Backes did have his head down and was losing his balance just before the hit anyway, but still a bad play by Seabrook to make a statement that late in a game your team is leading. It came back to bite him and the team.

• blackhawksdynasty - Apr 20, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Backes did lay a dirty hit on Toews, but that wasn’t the play that caused his long lasting concussion. Toews later said it was a jab to the jaw from Joe Thornton (and it’s on video) – Toews picked a fight with JT the next season as a result.

16. yuzzip - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:10 PM

It’s hits like these that bring up all the talks of removing hitting from the game. There was no legitimate reason for this hit to be made and this hit hurt both teams in the fact that it lost the hawks the game

17. cincinata - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM

This is a very tough and bruising game even when it is played correctly. These guys take a lit of punishment on legal hits and plays. This hit was totally illegal and intended to hurt the other player. Not only that but it was intended to injure him in the head. No doubt about it. I saw3 a lot of players and many dirty ones. One doe not know the game if he thinks this guy is a great player and just happened to make a bad (unfortunate) hit. It was intended to injure and get the guy out of the game, and it was the stupidest play I have seen in many years. The Hawks were on the verge of winning and this dope threw it all away just to make this one hit. STUPID, and not someone I would have on my team. Sorry Chicago, but this guy blew the game for your team, and I bet Joel knows it.

• bobbofranks - Apr 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM

You have no ground to stand on to call Seabrook a bad player. Everything is defending Backes on here like he’s a saint… What about Reaves? He doesn’t intend to hurt? Backes doesn’t intend to hurt?

Don’t get me wrong it was wrong and a dirty hit, but he’s not a dirty player. One bad choice doesn’t make someone a bad player….

• inngus - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Reaves has gotten away with a few questionable hits the first two games. I think he’s had one charging call. While it sucks that this happened and ultimately lead to the Hawks losing the game, I think it’s been a long time coming. The Blues have far and away outhit the Hawks, but they finally got a little of what they’ve been dealing out. I don’t feel bad for them.

18. dlk75150 - Apr 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Liar

19. imgoingtowichita - Apr 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM

How tall is back as? What was his head doing at the 4′ dasher?

Whatever.

Best part was hearing the audio of a hawk saying (taunting) “Wakey Wakey Backey”. So rare to hear the trash talk picked up that doesn’t need a bleep.
    Keep going after the skilled 18 yr olds in the league (and just before the 5min mark of the third to avoid a game mis) you dirtbag!

Karma.

20. autiger19 - Apr 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM

As a Blues fan I personally don’t think the Hawks, Seabrook, or the Blues have been playing dirty. This is playoff hockey, the intensity is through the roof (as it should be)! There has been plenty of big hits on both sides, and as a hockey fan I couldn’t ask for a more competitive/entertaining first two games. However, with that said even with Seabrook being a fairly respectful player, I still don’t see how people can’t view the HIT (not Seabrook) as dirty. Okay, maybe he wasn’t intentionally going after his head he hit it while extending his forearm. Maybe he was just trying to lay a big hit to try to put a charge into the Hawks, but a hit like that doesn’t belong in hockey. The worst part of the whole play to me was seeing Toews taunting and laughing at Backes when he clearly was not okay and potentially seriously injured. With that aside, I can’t wait for the rest of the series, and hope when the Blues prevail they’re not too banged up to continue what looks like a serious run for the Cup

• cincinata - Apr 20, 2014 at 2:36 PM

They may make a run, however, maybe not past the Hawks. If they do get past them, they will certainly lose to the Aves or the best team in my opinion, the Ducks! Good luck after this game.

• inngus - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Backes is a goon. That’s probably why Toews was in his face afterwards. No sympathy.

21. punksinplay - Apr 19, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Dirty and dangerous. He’s gonna sit for the rest of this series at least.

• bobbofranks - Apr 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Not a prior defender…. 2 games

• inngus - Apr 21, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I think he got 3 games. Which is kind of surprising considering he never left his feet.

22. mrhyperpants - Apr 20, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Backes is a knob end anyway. Got what he deserved. Karma. Hahahaha

• avscup - Apr 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Backes makes the same hit 9 times out of 10! Kharma’s a bytch!

23. fusionman15 - Apr 20, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Seabrook itsnt a head hunter type usually but come on. Being at the game and seeing how the Blackhawks were playing all game started making me see how dirty they start to play when threatened. Slashes to unprotected areas of legs, shoving head into face off Opponent before puck drops, and bad bad hits. Seabrook was wanting to hurt him anyway he could and he succeeded. 2 games atleast for that.

• blitz9817 - Apr 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM

The Blues got a taste of their own medicine. Who is the third most penalized team in the NHL……you guessed it…..the Blues. Who is the 3rd least penalized team in the NHL……you guessed it……the blackhawks. Who is the 2nd least hitting team in the NHL…..the Blackhawks……Blues not use to having the lumber laid to them. Also, I watch a lot of Blues games throughout the year and what irks me the most about them is whenever they are losing or about to lose, they take dirty shots on their opponents as if they are trying to send some sort of message.
      Let’s talk more about Backes…….wasn’t he the one that two weeks ago went after an 18 year superstar on the Avalanche….McKinnon? Yes, it was. Someone finally laid out the cheap shot artist who picks on the little guy. The only reason this became a penalty was because he turned his head to go after the puck he forgot to take with him. Look at the Raffi Torres hit on Seabrook three years ago…….no different and Torres a repeat offender got nothing but a two minute penalty. At least, Seabrook was tough enough to return during that game. I absolutely love when any NHL player gets what is coming to them for years of cheap play. Backes over 100 penalty minutes every year……it was hard to root for Team USA just because of him and his style of play.

24. cincinata - Apr 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I see that Mac is still playing. How many days was he out with a concussion? How many games was Backes suspended for the illegal hit? I don’t know because this is the first time I heard of it. Is what you contend here comp to what happened to Mac from Backes? I don’t know as I don’t follow either team.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches