Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EST
Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon has participated in just two playoff games, but he’s already redefining what an 18-year-old is capable of doing in this league.
He led Colorado to a 4-2 victory over Minnesota last night by becoming the third player in NHL history to post a four-point playoff game at the age of 18. The two that previously managed that feat were Pierre Turgeon in 1988 and Trevor Linden in 1989, per the Elias Sports Bureau.
He also had three points in Game 1, which puts MacKinnon in a tie for the most points recorded in a player’s first two postseason contests. Odie Cleghorn and Barry Pederson were the only other guys that started their playoff careers with seven points in two games.
On top of all that, MacKinnon is the first 18-year-old to record six assists in an entire playoff run, according to Eric Hornick. It’s worth noting though that other players that debut at 18, but turned 19 by the time the playoffs started, have exceeded that total. For example, then 19-year-old rookie Jaromir Jagr ended up with 10 assists in 24 games during his first playoff run.
All-in-all, it’s fair to say that MacKinnon’s performance thus far hasn’t just been impressive, it’s also arguably one of the best the sport has ever seen from a player this young.
MacKinnon is in Arcade mode right now!
— Strombone (@strombone1) April 20, 2014
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)