Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon has participated in just two playoff games, but he’s already redefining what an 18-year-old is capable of doing in this league.
He led Colorado to a 4-2 victory over Minnesota last night by becoming the third player in NHL history to post a four-point playoff game at the age of 18. The two that previously managed that feat were Pierre Turgeon in 1988 and Trevor Linden in 1989, per the Elias Sports Bureau.
He also had three points in Game 1, which puts MacKinnon in a tie for the most points recorded in a player’s first two postseason contests. Odie Cleghorn and Barry Pederson were the only other guys that started their playoff careers with seven points in two games.
On top of all that, MacKinnon is the first 18-year-old to record six assists in an entire playoff run, according to Eric Hornick. It’s worth noting though that other players that debut at 18, but turned 19 by the time the playoffs started, have exceeded that total. For example, then 19-year-old rookie Jaromir Jagr ended up with 10 assists in 24 games during his first playoff run.
All-in-all, it’s fair to say that MacKinnon’s performance thus far hasn’t just been impressive, it’s also arguably one of the best the sport has ever seen from a player this young.
MacKinnon is in Arcade mode right now!
— Strombone (@strombone1) April 20, 2014
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)