Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon has participated in just two playoff games, but he’s already redefining what an 18-year-old is capable of doing in this league.
He led Colorado to a 4-2 victory over Minnesota last night by becoming the third player in NHL history to post a four-point playoff game at the age of 18. The two that previously managed that feat were Pierre Turgeon in 1988 and Trevor Linden in 1989, per the Elias Sports Bureau.
He also had three points in Game 1, which puts MacKinnon in a tie for the most points recorded in a player’s first two postseason contests. Odie Cleghorn and Barry Pederson were the only other guys that started their playoff careers with seven points in two games.
On top of all that, MacKinnon is the first 18-year-old to record six assists in an entire playoff run, according to Eric Hornick. It’s worth noting though that other players that debut at 18, but turned 19 by the time the playoffs started, have exceeded that total. For example, then 19-year-old rookie Jaromir Jagr ended up with 10 assists in 24 games during his first playoff run.
All-in-all, it’s fair to say that MacKinnon’s performance thus far hasn’t just been impressive, it’s also arguably one of the best the sport has ever seen from a player this young.
MacKinnon is in Arcade mode right now!
— Strombone (@strombone1) April 20, 2014
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)