Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon has participated in just two playoff games, but he’s already redefining what an 18-year-old is capable of doing in this league.
He led Colorado to a 4-2 victory over Minnesota last night by becoming the third player in NHL history to post a four-point playoff game at the age of 18. The two that previously managed that feat were Pierre Turgeon in 1988 and Trevor Linden in 1989, per the Elias Sports Bureau.
He also had three points in Game 1, which puts MacKinnon in a tie for the most points recorded in a player’s first two postseason contests. Odie Cleghorn and Barry Pederson were the only other guys that started their playoff careers with seven points in two games.
On top of all that, MacKinnon is the first 18-year-old to record six assists in an entire playoff run, according to Eric Hornick. It’s worth noting though that other players that debut at 18, but turned 19 by the time the playoffs started, have exceeded that total. For example, then 19-year-old rookie Jaromir Jagr ended up with 10 assists in 24 games during his first playoff run.
All-in-all, it’s fair to say that MacKinnon’s performance thus far hasn’t just been impressive, it’s also arguably one of the best the sport has ever seen from a player this young.
MacKinnon is in Arcade mode right now!
— Strombone (@strombone1) April 20, 2014
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)