Apr 19, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
When any player scores six points in two playoff games (and three in each respective contest), people get excited. When that guy is 18 years old and those two postseason contests rank as his first two games, the praise gets downright bold.
Maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that Colorado Avalanche wunderkind Nathan MacKinnon inspired Jeremy Roenick to throw the words “Hall of Famer” and “more dominant than Sidney Crosby” around. Roenick specifically compared MacKinnon, 18, favorably to Sidney Crosby when he was at the same age:
Out of curiosity, let’s take a look at what MacKinnon and Crosby did in their rookie years.
MacKinnon (2013-14): 24 goals and 64 points (+20 rating) in 82 games played.
Crosby (2005-06): 39 goals and 102 points in 81 games played (-1).
Of course, it was easier to hit 100 points during that 2005-06 campaign, so context might help. MacKinnon’s 64 points tied him for 34th in the NHL’s leading scorers while Crosby finished sixth in his season. Of course, Roenick would almost certainly counter with this: MacKinnon’s seven points already top the five Crosby scored in five playoff games during his second season in the league.
It’s one of those highly subjective discussions that can go around in circles, but the bottom line is that they’re both outstanding and that the Avalanche seem to have a special player in MacKinnon. (Is he the best rookie since Crosby? Well, there are plenty of talented players who would have something to say about that, including Crosby’s teammate Evgeni Malkin.)
In case you’re wondering, Roenick had 18 points in 20 regular season games as a teenager with the Chicago Blackhawks (and four points in 10 games that 1989 postseason), so he knows a thing or two about prodigies.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)