Apr 14, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
With speculation running rampant about his future as Washington’s general manager, George McPhee declined today to speak at length with reporters, saying only that he’d “talk in a couple of days.”
It could be a pivotal “couple of days” for the franchise.
Last week, after the Caps were eliminated from playoff contention, Capitals owner Ted Leonsis promised to “conduct a comprehensive review of what transpired this year.” McPhee has already met once with Leonsis and club president Dick Patrick. There will be another meeting shortly.
Meanwhile, it’s likely McPhee will continue to hear his name floated in connection to GM openings in Calgary and Vancouver, such is the speculation that his contract with the Caps will not be renewed.
Head coach Adam Oates is also thought to be on the hot seat, even though captain Alex Ovechkin has said he’d like Oates back behind the bench next season.
Stay tuned for what should be an interesting offseason in DC.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)