Apr 14, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
With speculation running rampant about his future as Washington’s general manager, George McPhee declined today to speak at length with reporters, saying only that he’d “talk in a couple of days.”
It could be a pivotal “couple of days” for the franchise.
Last week, after the Caps were eliminated from playoff contention, Capitals owner Ted Leonsis promised to “conduct a comprehensive review of what transpired this year.” McPhee has already met once with Leonsis and club president Dick Patrick. There will be another meeting shortly.
Meanwhile, it’s likely McPhee will continue to hear his name floated in connection to GM openings in Calgary and Vancouver, such is the speculation that his contract with the Caps will not be renewed.
Head coach Adam Oates is also thought to be on the hot seat, even though captain Alex Ovechkin has said he’d like Oates back behind the bench next season.
Stay tuned for what should be an interesting offseason in DC.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)