Apr 14, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
With speculation running rampant about his future as Washington’s general manager, George McPhee declined today to speak at length with reporters, saying only that he’d “talk in a couple of days.”
It could be a pivotal “couple of days” for the franchise.
Last week, after the Caps were eliminated from playoff contention, Capitals owner Ted Leonsis promised to “conduct a comprehensive review of what transpired this year.” McPhee has already met once with Leonsis and club president Dick Patrick. There will be another meeting shortly.
Meanwhile, it’s likely McPhee will continue to hear his name floated in connection to GM openings in Calgary and Vancouver, such is the speculation that his contract with the Caps will not be renewed.
Head coach Adam Oates is also thought to be on the hot seat, even though captain Alex Ovechkin has said he’d like Oates back behind the bench next season.
Stay tuned for what should be an interesting offseason in DC.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)