Apr 11, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
The Capitals’ fall from one of the most dynamic teams in the NHL to, well, whatever it is they are today (not in the playoffs, for one) has been well-documented. But the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera has documented it particularly well here.
In a lengthy article titled “Washington Capitals’ problems began long before their playoff streak ended,” Carrera deftly recaps a lot of the stuff fans already knew about the Caps (they’ve changed systems a few times, captain Alex Ovechkin is a lightning rod for criticism, etc.), while also sharing some tidbits that aren’t quite so well-known.
For example, apparently Caps management isn’t the most popular among agents, and that’s affected their ability to attract players:
Even with persistent vacancies, the Capitals haven’t been able to find long-term solutions. According to multiple league sources, that can be attributed partly to what they describe as McPhee’s adversarial relationship with player agents, whose grievances include his refusal to communicate with them directly and limiting their postgame access to clients.
When a key free agent or a player with a no-trade clause — one who can name what teams he will play for — is available, the Capitals intentionally aren’t on the list, one NHL agent explained.
“It’s hostile,” another agent said. “Why would anyone encourage their client to play there when the organization intentionally makes it incredibly difficult to work with them?”
Yesterday, Caps owner Ted Leonsis wrote a blog post promising to “conduct a comprehensive review of what transpired this year.”
It’s been widely speculated that McPhee, as well as head coach Adam Oates, could be replaced.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)