Apr 6, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Unfortunately for Lupul and the Maple Leafs, he reaggravated his injury during Toronto’s 4-2 loss to the Winnipeg Jets and his status for the future is unknown.
Lupul’s injury, on top of the strained MCL starting goalie Jonathan Bernier suffered on Thursday night against Boston, serves to pile on the depressing reality in Toronto that the Maple Leafs are likely going to miss the playoffs after making their first appearance in seven seasons last year.
Lupul is third on the Maple Leafs in goals with 22 and sixth on the team in points with 44 in 69 games. He’s been able to stay mostly healthy this season and helped the Leafs get off to a hot start, but like most everything else for Toronto of late, his production has cooled with three goals and two assists in his past nine games.
Toronto has three games left and trail Columbus by one point with the Blue Jackets having five games to play.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)