Apr 6, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Unfortunately for Lupul and the Maple Leafs, he reaggravated his injury during Toronto’s 4-2 loss to the Winnipeg Jets and his status for the future is unknown.
Lupul’s injury, on top of the strained MCL starting goalie Jonathan Bernier suffered on Thursday night against Boston, serves to pile on the depressing reality in Toronto that the Maple Leafs are likely going to miss the playoffs after making their first appearance in seven seasons last year.
Lupul is third on the Maple Leafs in goals with 22 and sixth on the team in points with 44 in 69 games. He’s been able to stay mostly healthy this season and helped the Leafs get off to a hot start, but like most everything else for Toronto of late, his production has cooled with three goals and two assists in his past nine games.
Toronto has three games left and trail Columbus by one point with the Blue Jackets having five games to play.
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)