Apr 6, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Unfortunately for Lupul and the Maple Leafs, he reaggravated his injury during Toronto’s 4-2 loss to the Winnipeg Jets and his status for the future is unknown.
Lupul’s injury, on top of the strained MCL starting goalie Jonathan Bernier suffered on Thursday night against Boston, serves to pile on the depressing reality in Toronto that the Maple Leafs are likely going to miss the playoffs after making their first appearance in seven seasons last year.
Lupul is third on the Maple Leafs in goals with 22 and sixth on the team in points with 44 in 69 games. He’s been able to stay mostly healthy this season and helped the Leafs get off to a hot start, but like most everything else for Toronto of late, his production has cooled with three goals and two assists in his past nine games.
Toronto has three games left and trail Columbus by one point with the Blue Jackets having five games to play.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 64
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)