Apr 6, 2014, 4:54 PM EDT
Unfortunately for Lupul and the Maple Leafs, he reaggravated his injury during Toronto’s 4-2 loss to the Winnipeg Jets and his status for the future is unknown.
Lupul’s injury, on top of the strained MCL starting goalie Jonathan Bernier suffered on Thursday night against Boston, serves to pile on the depressing reality in Toronto that the Maple Leafs are likely going to miss the playoffs after making their first appearance in seven seasons last year.
Lupul is third on the Maple Leafs in goals with 22 and sixth on the team in points with 44 in 69 games. He’s been able to stay mostly healthy this season and helped the Leafs get off to a hot start, but like most everything else for Toronto of late, his production has cooled with three goals and two assists in his past nine games.
Toronto has three games left and trail Columbus by one point with the Blue Jackets having five games to play.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54