Apr 6, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT
Every point is critical for the Columbus Blue Jackets as they fight to make the playoffs for just the second time in their franchise’s history, so they’ve been leaning heavily on goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky. Fortunately, he’s been up to the task.
Playing in his third game in just four days, Bobrovsky led the Blue Jackets to a 4-0 victory against the New York Islanders. It was Bobrovsky’s second shutout in that four-day span.
Columbus is a team without superstar forwards, but they got help from Jack Johnson and Ryan Murray as both defensemen scored with the man advantage. Forwards Mark Letestu and Boone Jenner each finished the contest with a goal and an assist.
The Blue Jackets now have a three-point cushion on the New Jersey Devils and Toronto Maple Leafs in the battle for the final Wild Card spot. Given that Toronto has played in one more game than Columbus, tonight’s result also serves as one of the final nails in the coffin for the Maple Leafs.
There’s still a chance that Columbus will end up with a better seed as the team’s just one point shy of Detroit and the first Wild Card spot and are tied in terms of points with the Philadelphia Flyers, who rank third in the Metropolitan Division. The Flyers are playing against the Buffalo Sabres.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 25
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 12
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)