Apr 6, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT
Every point is critical for the Columbus Blue Jackets as they fight to make the playoffs for just the second time in their franchise’s history, so they’ve been leaning heavily on goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky. Fortunately, he’s been up to the task.
Playing in his third game in just four days, Bobrovsky led the Blue Jackets to a 4-0 victory against the New York Islanders. It was Bobrovsky’s second shutout in that four-day span.
Columbus is a team without superstar forwards, but they got help from Jack Johnson and Ryan Murray as both defensemen scored with the man advantage. Forwards Mark Letestu and Boone Jenner each finished the contest with a goal and an assist.
The Blue Jackets now have a three-point cushion on the New Jersey Devils and Toronto Maple Leafs in the battle for the final Wild Card spot. Given that Toronto has played in one more game than Columbus, tonight’s result also serves as one of the final nails in the coffin for the Maple Leafs.
There’s still a chance that Columbus will end up with a better seed as the team’s just one point shy of Detroit and the first Wild Card spot and are tied in terms of points with the Philadelphia Flyers, who rank third in the Metropolitan Division. The Flyers are playing against the Buffalo Sabres.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)