Apr 6, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT
Every point is critical for the Columbus Blue Jackets as they fight to make the playoffs for just the second time in their franchise’s history, so they’ve been leaning heavily on goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky. Fortunately, he’s been up to the task.
Playing in his third game in just four days, Bobrovsky led the Blue Jackets to a 4-0 victory against the New York Islanders. It was Bobrovsky’s second shutout in that four-day span.
Columbus is a team without superstar forwards, but they got help from Jack Johnson and Ryan Murray as both defensemen scored with the man advantage. Forwards Mark Letestu and Boone Jenner each finished the contest with a goal and an assist.
The Blue Jackets now have a three-point cushion on the New Jersey Devils and Toronto Maple Leafs in the battle for the final Wild Card spot. Given that Toronto has played in one more game than Columbus, tonight’s result also serves as one of the final nails in the coffin for the Maple Leafs.
There’s still a chance that Columbus will end up with a better seed as the team’s just one point shy of Detroit and the first Wild Card spot and are tied in terms of points with the Philadelphia Flyers, who rank third in the Metropolitan Division. The Flyers are playing against the Buffalo Sabres.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)