Apr 3, 2014, 1:17 AM EST
It was a dominating performance for the L.A. Kings, and one that punches their ticket to the 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Kings were in full control over the Phoenix Coyotes on Wednesday, powering ahead to a 4-0 victory against their Pacific Division opponents, who were also looking to jump back into the top-eight teams in the Western Conference.
- Yes, the Coyotes were playing their second game in as many nights, and the Kings are certainly a very good team. But with their playoff hopes hanging in the balance, the Coyotes were never able to generate a push. A single point would’ve pushed them ahead of the Dallas Stars and into the second Wild Card spot in the West. Now the Stars hold the upper hand, and with two games in hand, too.
- The Coyotes had just 17 shots on goal. Yeah, they were shut down almost completely.
- Had to feel for Coyotes goalie Thomas Greiss. He made a huge pad save on Jeff Carter‘s late second-period breakaway to keep it a two-goal game at the time. He also made another stop off Anze Kopitar on a breakaway in the third period. This one could’ve been much worse on the score board if not for Greiss.
- Carter would have his revenge, scoring the Kings’ third goal of the night. Game over.
- Stanley Cup champs in 2012; Western Conference finalists in 2013. The Kings are going back to the post-season and look to be just as formidable as the previous two years. They’ve won seven of their last eight games.
- Jonathan Quick now up to six shutouts on the season. Wasn’t overly busy in this one.
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 0
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal 1
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 27
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19