Apr 1, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Today, his head coach jumped to his defense.
“He played a hell of a game,” Maurice said, per the Winnipeg Sun. “He made some great saves in the third period and made a couple of great saves leading up to that. It can’t be the results that we gave up five that our goaltender wasn’t any good”
It’s hard to gauge exactly how at fault Pavelec was for last night’s epic collapse. He was under siege for most of the third period as the Jets were out-shot 24-6 (and outcored 3-0), so there wasn’t much support being offered.
That said, he was coming off a shaky effort in Saturday’s loss to the Kings, and didn’t look especially good on Stephane Robidas‘ OT winner:
Last night was really a jumping off point for Pavelec’s critics. He’s been largely underwhelming this year, boasting a 20-25-7 record with a .901 save percentage and 3.05 GAA. Those numbers are some of the worst among starting netminders with 50-plus appearances this season, and Pavelec gets even more heat given he’s only in the second of a five-year, $19.5 million deal with a $3.9 million average annual cap hit.
But while others might be piling on, Maurice stuck by his goalie.
“They [Ducks] had some fine scoring chances,” he explained. “He played well.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)