Apr 1, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Today, his head coach jumped to his defense.
“He played a hell of a game,” Maurice said, per the Winnipeg Sun. “He made some great saves in the third period and made a couple of great saves leading up to that. It can’t be the results that we gave up five that our goaltender wasn’t any good”
It’s hard to gauge exactly how at fault Pavelec was for last night’s epic collapse. He was under siege for most of the third period as the Jets were out-shot 24-6 (and outcored 3-0), so there wasn’t much support being offered.
That said, he was coming off a shaky effort in Saturday’s loss to the Kings, and didn’t look especially good on Stephane Robidas‘ OT winner:
Last night was really a jumping off point for Pavelec’s critics. He’s been largely underwhelming this year, boasting a 20-25-7 record with a .901 save percentage and 3.05 GAA. Those numbers are some of the worst among starting netminders with 50-plus appearances this season, and Pavelec gets even more heat given he’s only in the second of a five-year, $19.5 million deal with a $3.9 million average annual cap hit.
But while others might be piling on, Maurice stuck by his goalie.
“They [Ducks] had some fine scoring chances,” he explained. “He played well.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)