Apr 1, 2014, 1:08 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets were running away – or, I guess you could say flying away? – with this one against the Anaheim Ducks on Monday.
The Jets got off to a four-goal lead, scoring twice in the first period and two more times in the second to take complete control. Heck, they outshot the Ducks 19-4 after the first period and a combined 31-11 after two periods.
Game over. Done. Move on.
Then the Ducks decided to show up. And from there, the Jets just seemed to whither. The Ducks, thanks to Corey Perry‘s tying goal with 23 seconds remaining in regulation and Stephane Robidas‘ goal 16 seconds into overtime, successfully pulled off the comeback by a final score of 5-4. According to the Ducks, Monday’s comeback win was the greatest in franchise history.
“If we play the way we did in the second half of that game, no one can beat us,” said Perry, as per the Ducks’ official Twitter account.
The Ducks also jump three points ahead of the San Jose Sharks for the top spot in the Pacific Division. The Ducks also have one game in hand.
Based on numerous reports from both Ducks and Jets beat reporters, the fans in Anaheim weren’t pleased with the first period, letting their voices heard through a chorus of boos.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)