Mar 23, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs managed to sneak within a goal of tying things up after falling behind 3-0 on Sunday, but the New Jersey Devils managed to hang on to a 3-2 win.
In the process, they gave the Leafs and goalie James Reimer a fifth consecutive loss, making for one sad song. The 26-year-old was pulled early in the second period, and while Drew MacIntyre stopped all 14 shots he faced, the Buds could only score twice to continue their fall.
Phil Kessel‘s 3-2 goal was quite eventful:
No doubt about it, times are tough, even for a franchise that’s seen some low moments in recent seasons before 2012-13:
What faces both teams
With the Washington Capitals idle, the Maple Leafs remain in one of the two wild card spots, yet things look increasingly shaky for Toronto. They only have nine games left this season, opening the door for usurpers such as the Capitals and Blue Jackets.
The Devils will need teams like the Maple Leafs to lose to truly be one of those usurpers. With 10 games remaining and only one match against a true East bubble team* in April 4’s home contest against the Caps.
Schedule-wise, the Maple Leafs’ challenges certainly haven’t ended. They host the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday, face the red-hot Flyers in Philly on Friday and then play what could be a huge home game against Detroit in Toronto on Saturday. Whether it’s Reimer or someone else, the Maple Leafs need to change this broken record sooner rather than later if they want to preserve their playoff spot.
* – Assuming Carolina and Ottawa are out of it
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)