Mar 23, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs managed to sneak within a goal of tying things up after falling behind 3-0 on Sunday, but the New Jersey Devils managed to hang on to a 3-2 win.
In the process, they gave the Leafs and goalie James Reimer a fifth consecutive loss, making for one sad song. The 26-year-old was pulled early in the second period, and while Drew MacIntyre stopped all 14 shots he faced, the Buds could only score twice to continue their fall.
Phil Kessel‘s 3-2 goal was quite eventful:
No doubt about it, times are tough, even for a franchise that’s seen some low moments in recent seasons before 2012-13:
What faces both teams
With the Washington Capitals idle, the Maple Leafs remain in one of the two wild card spots, yet things look increasingly shaky for Toronto. They only have nine games left this season, opening the door for usurpers such as the Capitals and Blue Jackets.
The Devils will need teams like the Maple Leafs to lose to truly be one of those usurpers. With 10 games remaining and only one match against a true East bubble team* in April 4′s home contest against the Caps.
Schedule-wise, the Maple Leafs’ challenges certainly haven’t ended. They host the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday, face the red-hot Flyers in Philly on Friday and then play what could be a huge home game against Detroit in Toronto on Saturday. Whether it’s Reimer or someone else, the Maple Leafs need to change this broken record sooner rather than later if they want to preserve their playoff spot.
* – Assuming Carolina and Ottawa are out of it
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)