Mar 23, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs managed to sneak within a goal of tying things up after falling behind 3-0 on Sunday, but the New Jersey Devils managed to hang on to a 3-2 win.
In the process, they gave the Leafs and goalie James Reimer a fifth consecutive loss, making for one sad song. The 26-year-old was pulled early in the second period, and while Drew MacIntyre stopped all 14 shots he faced, the Buds could only score twice to continue their fall.
Phil Kessel‘s 3-2 goal was quite eventful:
No doubt about it, times are tough, even for a franchise that’s seen some low moments in recent seasons before 2012-13:
What faces both teams
With the Washington Capitals idle, the Maple Leafs remain in one of the two wild card spots, yet things look increasingly shaky for Toronto. They only have nine games left this season, opening the door for usurpers such as the Capitals and Blue Jackets.
The Devils will need teams like the Maple Leafs to lose to truly be one of those usurpers. With 10 games remaining and only one match against a true East bubble team* in April 4’s home contest against the Caps.
Schedule-wise, the Maple Leafs’ challenges certainly haven’t ended. They host the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday, face the red-hot Flyers in Philly on Friday and then play what could be a huge home game against Detroit in Toronto on Saturday. Whether it’s Reimer or someone else, the Maple Leafs need to change this broken record sooner rather than later if they want to preserve their playoff spot.
* – Assuming Carolina and Ottawa are out of it
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)