Mar 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks fans no longer have to wait for the arrival of Teuvo Teravainen — he’s here.
The team announced they’ve recalled the 2012 first-round pick from Jokerit in the SM-liiga along with Jeremy Morin from Rockford. To make it happen they placed injured star winger Patrick Kane on long-term injured reserve.
Teravainen is just 19 years old, but in three seasons with Jokerit he’s put up 93 points in 133 career games. A kid putting up beefy numbers like that in a professional league against players much older than him is no joke and a major reason why Blackhawks fans are filled with anticipation to see how he fits in the NHL.
It’s likely that with Kane out for at least a couple weeks we won’t see Teravainen plugged into the lineup immediately. Asking a new player to jump into the fire right away without practicing with the team is probably asking too much of him. That’s where Morin’s recall comes in.
That said, Teravainen’s skills have often been described as being like Kane’s. If he turns out to be anything at all like Kane once he gets into Chicago’s lineup, it’s going to seem really unfair.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)