Mar 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks fans no longer have to wait for the arrival of Teuvo Teravainen — he’s here.
The team announced they’ve recalled the 2012 first-round pick from Jokerit in the SM-liiga along with Jeremy Morin from Rockford. To make it happen they placed injured star winger Patrick Kane on long-term injured reserve.
Teravainen is just 19 years old, but in three seasons with Jokerit he’s put up 93 points in 133 career games. A kid putting up beefy numbers like that in a professional league against players much older than him is no joke and a major reason why Blackhawks fans are filled with anticipation to see how he fits in the NHL.
It’s likely that with Kane out for at least a couple weeks we won’t see Teravainen plugged into the lineup immediately. Asking a new player to jump into the fire right away without practicing with the team is probably asking too much of him. That’s where Morin’s recall comes in.
That said, Teravainen’s skills have often been described as being like Kane’s. If he turns out to be anything at all like Kane once he gets into Chicago’s lineup, it’s going to seem really unfair.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)