Mar 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks fans no longer have to wait for the arrival of Teuvo Teravainen — he’s here.
The team announced they’ve recalled the 2012 first-round pick from Jokerit in the SM-liiga along with Jeremy Morin from Rockford. To make it happen they placed injured star winger Patrick Kane on long-term injured reserve.
Teravainen is just 19 years old, but in three seasons with Jokerit he’s put up 93 points in 133 career games. A kid putting up beefy numbers like that in a professional league against players much older than him is no joke and a major reason why Blackhawks fans are filled with anticipation to see how he fits in the NHL.
It’s likely that with Kane out for at least a couple weeks we won’t see Teravainen plugged into the lineup immediately. Asking a new player to jump into the fire right away without practicing with the team is probably asking too much of him. That’s where Morin’s recall comes in.
That said, Teravainen’s skills have often been described as being like Kane’s. If he turns out to be anything at all like Kane once he gets into Chicago’s lineup, it’s going to seem really unfair.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)