Mar 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks fans no longer have to wait for the arrival of Teuvo Teravainen — he’s here.
The team announced they’ve recalled the 2012 first-round pick from Jokerit in the SM-liiga along with Jeremy Morin from Rockford. To make it happen they placed injured star winger Patrick Kane on long-term injured reserve.
Teravainen is just 19 years old, but in three seasons with Jokerit he’s put up 93 points in 133 career games. A kid putting up beefy numbers like that in a professional league against players much older than him is no joke and a major reason why Blackhawks fans are filled with anticipation to see how he fits in the NHL.
It’s likely that with Kane out for at least a couple weeks we won’t see Teravainen plugged into the lineup immediately. Asking a new player to jump into the fire right away without practicing with the team is probably asking too much of him. That’s where Morin’s recall comes in.
That said, Teravainen’s skills have often been described as being like Kane’s. If he turns out to be anything at all like Kane once he gets into Chicago’s lineup, it’s going to seem really unfair.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)