Mar 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks fans no longer have to wait for the arrival of Teuvo Teravainen — he’s here.
The team announced they’ve recalled the 2012 first-round pick from Jokerit in the SM-liiga along with Jeremy Morin from Rockford. To make it happen they placed injured star winger Patrick Kane on long-term injured reserve.
Teravainen is just 19 years old, but in three seasons with Jokerit he’s put up 93 points in 133 career games. A kid putting up beefy numbers like that in a professional league against players much older than him is no joke and a major reason why Blackhawks fans are filled with anticipation to see how he fits in the NHL.
It’s likely that with Kane out for at least a couple weeks we won’t see Teravainen plugged into the lineup immediately. Asking a new player to jump into the fire right away without practicing with the team is probably asking too much of him. That’s where Morin’s recall comes in.
That said, Teravainen’s skills have often been described as being like Kane’s. If he turns out to be anything at all like Kane once he gets into Chicago’s lineup, it’s going to seem really unfair.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)