Jun 21, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Teuvo Teravainen (LW)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 165 Shoots: Left
Team: Jokerit (SM-Liiga)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 ranked skater in Europe
What kind of player is he?
A speedy, scoring winger out of Finland…meaning he’s inevitably compared to Teemu Selanne. Unfair, sure, but it’s not without reason — Teravainen has speed to burn, a tremendous offensive skill set and “the best hands in the draft,” according to McKeen’s Greg Burstyn. He’s got the potential to become an offensive stud.
His size, however, is an issue — at just 165 pounds, there’s not much to him. While the equally svelte Ryan Nugent-Hopkins jumped into the NHL last season, it’s important to remember he’s a special kind of talent.
RNH is also 6-foot-1 whereas Teravainen is 5-foot-11. That doesn’t help the size issue any.
More draft profiles:
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (80)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)