Jun 21, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Teuvo Teravainen (LW)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 165 Shoots: Left
Team: Jokerit (SM-Liiga)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 ranked skater in Europe
What kind of player is he?
A speedy, scoring winger out of Finland…meaning he’s inevitably compared to Teemu Selanne. Unfair, sure, but it’s not without reason — Teravainen has speed to burn, a tremendous offensive skill set and “the best hands in the draft,” according to McKeen’s Greg Burstyn. He’s got the potential to become an offensive stud.
His size, however, is an issue — at just 165 pounds, there’s not much to him. While the equally svelte Ryan Nugent-Hopkins jumped into the NHL last season, it’s important to remember he’s a special kind of talent.
RNH is also 6-foot-1 whereas Teravainen is 5-foot-11. That doesn’t help the size issue any.
More draft profiles:
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5