Jun 21, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Teuvo Teravainen (LW)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 165 Shoots: Left
Team: Jokerit (SM-Liiga)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 ranked skater in Europe
What kind of player is he?
A speedy, scoring winger out of Finland…meaning he’s inevitably compared to Teemu Selanne. Unfair, sure, but it’s not without reason — Teravainen has speed to burn, a tremendous offensive skill set and “the best hands in the draft,” according to McKeen’s Greg Burstyn. He’s got the potential to become an offensive stud.
His size, however, is an issue — at just 165 pounds, there’s not much to him. While the equally svelte Ryan Nugent-Hopkins jumped into the NHL last season, it’s important to remember he’s a special kind of talent.
RNH is also 6-foot-1 whereas Teravainen is 5-foot-11. That doesn’t help the size issue any.
More draft profiles:
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11