Jun 21, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Teuvo Teravainen (LW)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 165 Shoots: Left
Team: Jokerit (SM-Liiga)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 ranked skater in Europe
What kind of player is he?
A speedy, scoring winger out of Finland…meaning he’s inevitably compared to Teemu Selanne. Unfair, sure, but it’s not without reason — Teravainen has speed to burn, a tremendous offensive skill set and “the best hands in the draft,” according to McKeen’s Greg Burstyn. He’s got the potential to become an offensive stud.
His size, however, is an issue — at just 165 pounds, there’s not much to him. While the equally svelte Ryan Nugent-Hopkins jumped into the NHL last season, it’s important to remember he’s a special kind of talent.
RNH is also 6-foot-1 whereas Teravainen is 5-foot-11. That doesn’t help the size issue any.
More draft profiles:
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 48
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 17
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 56
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (56)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)