Jun 21, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Teuvo Teravainen (LW)
Height: 5′ 11″ Weight: 165 Shoots: Left
Team: Jokerit (SM-Liiga)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 2 ranked skater in Europe
What kind of player is he?
A speedy, scoring winger out of Finland…meaning he’s inevitably compared to Teemu Selanne. Unfair, sure, but it’s not without reason — Teravainen has speed to burn, a tremendous offensive skill set and “the best hands in the draft,” according to McKeen’s Greg Burstyn. He’s got the potential to become an offensive stud.
His size, however, is an issue — at just 165 pounds, there’s not much to him. While the equally svelte Ryan Nugent-Hopkins jumped into the NHL last season, it’s important to remember he’s a special kind of talent.
RNH is also 6-foot-1 whereas Teravainen is 5-foot-11. That doesn’t help the size issue any.
More draft profiles:
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)