Who has the best and worst shot differential in the NHL?

Mar 20, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT

Earlier in the week, we looked at the best and worst special teams in the NHL. After which one commenter wrote, “These numbers don’t mean jack.”

So in hopes of building off such a rave review, here are the shot differentials for all 30 teams, ranked from highest to lowest:

S/G SA/G Diff
25 MONTREAL 28.7 30.5 -1.8
26 COLORADO 29.3 32.7 -3.4
27 WASHINGTON 30.0 33.5 -3.5
28 EDMONTON 27.0 32.4 -5.4
29 TORONTO 27.9 36.2 -8.3
30 BUFFALO 26.2 34.6 -8.4

— These numbers mean something. Three of the top five teams are the last four Stanley Cup winners, and right down at the bottom you have the NHL’s worst team.

— Yep, that’s why goaltending has been so important in Toronto, Colorado and Montreal this season. The Maple Leafs in particular have played a dangerous game with all the time they’ve spent in their own end. In a related story, Joffrey Lupul‘s attempted clearance last night versus Tampa Bay will not go down as the best ever:

— In addition to shot quantity, there’s definitely a discussion to be had about shot quality. In fact, it’s one of the most talked about topics in the stats community. You hear arguments like this all the time with teams like the Islanders: How can you blame their poor goalies with all the defensive gaffes they make that lead to prime scoring chances? And there’s something to be said for that argument. That being said, Garth Snow has to do something about his goaltending. The last time the most important position in hockey was a strength on Long Island was what, 2006-07?

1. ibieiniid - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM

that opening lmao’d me.

• thailer35 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Conspiracy theory alert.

Brough posted a video in the Red Wings bubble article which AvgJoe pointed out was pretty blomfeld-esque.

Now, in this article, he is copying a comment written on a previous article, something we see Joey do frequently.

People already claim these two (as well as a few other usernames, including myself humoursly enough) are the same person.

Could they both be characters developed by Brough himself?

Mind bottling!!

• ibieiniid - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:43 PM

i don’t know about that. if Brough was parading around his own article posts as multiple other characters, how would he find time to make these sweet SOG/special teams spreadsheets?

• thailer35 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Hey, every conspiracy theory is going to have it’s holes. Especially satirical ones. But that doesn’t stop people from believing that vaccines are ways for the government to give our children autism or other diseases causing my kid to be more at risk (unnecessarily more at risk, I might add) of contracting widely eradicated diseases like the measles because people will believe even scientificly disputed theories if someone famous like Jenny McCarthy is spewing them.

/rant

• ibieiniid - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM

good point. let’s get this one going. Brough and HALFORD, same guy. oh, you saw them on the TV at the same time? no, that was a body double. the question is, WHICH ONE was the body double.

we’re onto you Broughford. the Chip ‘n’ Chase is looking more and more psychotic by the minute.

• thailer35 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM

You know ibieiniid, while your username still makes no sense to me, I could see you being a pretty likeable person to hang out with. Our sense of humor seems to be pretty aligned.

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Hah! Thailer35, blomfeld, joey4id, slysipops, areaman714, aldog83, me. Now, Brough and Halford? We all are one talented person!

Seven more, and you’ve got a book. Sybil had 16 personalities with her dissociative identity disorder. What do we call this conglomeration? Sebastian?

• ibieiniid - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM

thailer, I agree. we tend to riff on the same subjects. good stuff. good to know there’s people with a sense of humor out there in the desert. idk how you do it, I know it’s March, but I’d be too busy leaking sweat to crack jokes. (can you tell I’ve never been to the desert and don’t have a firm grasp on what the seasonal climate is really like?)

• ibieiniid - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM

oh and pat, there used to be several others, especially back at lockout time when the commenters were at their most bored and had nothing better to do that pontificate about who’s who here. there was a guy named valoisviper(s?) that was included in this as well. in fact, i got REALLY confused when a guy named valoisjoeyblomfeld or something to that effect showed up.

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Actualy, ibie, I do remember valois(something) and the suggestion that he, too, was a blomfeld personality.

BTW, you deftly avoided thailer’s remark about not understanding your user name. Well done.

While you and I don’t correspond on many topics, I am particularly fond of your remark as the Outdoor and Stadium Series uniforms were unveiled, and commenters were remarking about the colors, stripes, etc.. Unlike joey4id, I don’t have the exact quote to copy here. I remember something like, “jesusherbertchrist, this is PHT, not E!”

P.S. Re: our comments on a separate article today, I think I know why your Google search showed purple for that movie.

• sjsharks86 - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I dunno about all of those guys but Muckleflugga & Blomfeld are either the same person or suffer from the same psychosis.

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Hey, sharks!

I don’t know whether you’re right or not. I do know that I find blomfeld pretty harmless. Muckleflugga, on the other hand, scares me.

• machosasquatcho - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM

thailer35, patthehockeyfan, blomfeld, joey, aldog83, I guess now muckleflugga are all the same person. How many alternate accounts is that now?

Blomfeld: shut the hell up. Stop talking to yourself, you filth-pile. Get a job, preferably one involving rain and electric power tools, you gimp.

• ibieiniid - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:56 PM

lol they’re not the same guy, you goof.

• r8rbhawk - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:06 PM

This is probably the most productive conversation we have had on PHT in a long time.

• thailer35 - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Don’t forget ibieiniid! He’s part of our “Axis Of Evil” as well! I mean… he’s me… or he’s us? I’m not even sure how to keep this straight anymore.

• machosasquatcho - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM

lol ok guy. Keep on white-knighting.

• thailer35 - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Also, besides a maybe meteorologist, what kind of job “involves” rain?

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Sasquatcho –

First, you’re wrong about me, and I resent your accusations and name-calling.

Second, I can’t call you macho – a name seemingly chosen to overcompensate for some shortcoming (SHORT being the operative word here, if you get my drift).

Third – I never see you post a remark of substance or one having anything to do with a particular story. You appear to be merely a troll who searches for people to insult and call names.

Finally, you are the only man I’m aware of who suffers from penis-envy.

• blomfeld - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM

YOU TELL HIM PAT ! :)

*** somewhere in sector G with Panzer Group Blomfeld ***

Meyer: the enemy has surrendered sir and we’ve taken those still alive as prisoners !

Blomfeld: is there one among them called ‘Machosquat’ by any chance ?

Meyer: yes sir ! … he’s currently being held by Stransky’s ‘special action’ unit …

Blomfeld: very well then, have Stransky ‘liquidate’ Machosquat and set the others free …

Meyer: consider it done comrade … hail victory !

Blomfeld: hail victory friend !

2. rdk - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM

If you want to consider shot quality just add another column for the shots per goal ratio.

This would show that LA takes a lot of low quality shots and that they’re not the third best team according to these metrics.

Another example is that Buffalo may not only take the least amount of shots, but they also have the lowest shots percentage in the league and totally deserve their last place standing.

If you want to get really crazy, add team save percentages to your chart as well.

• skr213 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:59 PM

^ same goes for the Sharks. They’ve got the highest shot differential, but they’ve got a relatively low success % for all those shots.

• c9castine - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:34 PM

good point. i find it interesting vancouver and dallas are in the top 10. he rest of the top 10 are more or less some of the best teams in the league but those two are curious, i feel like the order might change a lot if it was arranged as you mentioned.

at the same time these numbers are pretty telling.

• rdk - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Vancouver has one of the worst shooting percentages in the league:

28. Vancouver
        29. LA
        30. Buffalo

• c9castine - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:16 PM

wonder what new yorks shooting percentage numbers were like under tortorella

3. sjsharks66 - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Opening burn.

Hopefully this year 4 of the top 5 teams can be recent cup winners. The playoffs in the West are going to be a war. I don’t think any team in the East can handle a healthy West team in the Finals.

• hockey412 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I just don’t see that point as being valid. Boston is 15-4-4 vs. the West, Pens are 14-6-1. Tampa and Philly both have winning records against the West too. Not the first time I’ve heard that comment, and I suppose I can see where it’s coming from, I just disagree. Home ice will be important, but I don’t think it’s going to be a lop-sided Final.

• skr213 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I think the key is that there are at most two teams from the East that can truly compete against the top 5 teams from the West.

• cofran2004 - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I agree. It’d be nice to see the rangers grab another cup :-p

That said, I can think of worse things than seeing san jose winning. I’ve always liked their logo….

• blomfeld - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I ‘concur’ friend :)

• endusersolutions2013 - Mar 21, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Boston is playing really and considering they have most of the squad back from last year are not only the likely team to beat, but are the only team in the East that I see potentially beating the WC champ.

4. 11111111111a22 - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM

These numbers don’t mean….Jill.

• thailer35 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM

• 11111111111a22 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:16 PM

:-( no body loves me

• ibieiniid - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:18 PM

is Hayes no longer property (i use that word loosely) of an NHL team? teams get rights to players for two years out of the draft? or is that different for NCAA players? i noticed it said former first round pick and it got me thinkin’.

• ibieiniid - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM

this went on the wrong article.

5. northstar00 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM

If we are going to throw other stats in there – we might as well look at “Shots Attempted” and “Shots Blocked” – how many actually find the net?

6. muckleflugga - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:11 PM

statistics are for losers … sampling size is the biggest problem in analysis of the hl game because of fractured game runs interrupted by injuries olympics and deviant scheduling and travel

veracity of numbers from two or three game blocks is questionable … long runs like hawks’ streak last season are excellent but they’re ever so rare

as noted three of the top five are recent cup winners … two are not … san jose at the top has never won and rangers are twenty years removed … look at the top ten … scary

i play the horses with some success … i use trip handicapping alone … horses with bad trips who just miss are gold … why …

because of heart and class

the cyber-age has increased play when i could go days and weeks without a sure-thing in the past [ i love you steve jobs ] … look at hockey by way of example …

leafs came off a long road trip concluding in detroit where they were ran-ragged by persistent attack from young legs … nyquist scorched them a number of times … leafs nearly rallied regardless

look at leafs next night last night at home … third period … dominating a rested opponent against odds and logic … unlucky

applying trip handicapping to hockey i’ll be watching the leafs closely on the run-in to the playoffs … the kind of class and heart they showed last night is powerful medicine to the betting man

tab leafs for a deep run if that form continues to build in third periods here on in

numbers are good for accountants and statisticians … if they meant squat in the real world all accountants and statisticians would be billionaires

heart and class demonstrated in troubling conditions wins out in the long run every time

nobody should be in too big a hurry to dismiss leafs or wings … heart and class with two of the best coaches in hockey

dangerous to the complacent

• ibieiniid - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:26 PM

you know I tend to like your posts, even when i disagree, but just a question… do you speak like that in real life or just when typing? i’d shake a man’s hand if i heard him say something like “statistics are dangerous when used to beg the question … anyone can conjure numbers to satisfy a model they choose to follow … using logic illogically”

• blomfeld - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Flugga is an ‘intelligent’ life form, no two ways about it …

• c9castine - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM

you might as well just keep that inside your head.

• endusersolutions2013 - Mar 21, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I respectfully and thoroughly. Stats can indeed be predictive. It takes homework to figure which are and which are not.

Hits for example are meaningless from a predictive standpoint. It’s is when you put multiple stats – offensive, defensive, specialty teams, mistakes that you can compare teams objectively with reasonable reliability.

I do see value in SOG differential, and I adjust both – SOGF includes a teams shooting %, and SOGA includes the opposing teams. I also adjust PP and PK rankings with teams PIM. High PP is great, but so so great if your team’s opponents have low relative PIM.

And “statistics are for losers” is both pejorative and an unsupportable generality. So much for acclaimed intellect/intellectual integrity.

7. sjsharks66 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Hockey412,

Well if you look at the Sharks east record this year it is 21-7-3. Chicago’s is 16-3-6 and Colorado 19-8-1. All three are pretty impressive. Plus looking at how dangerous Chicago, San Jose, La, Anaheim and Colorado have been this year. The Finals will not be a cake walk, that’s for sure.

8. muckleflugga - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM

ibieiniid

i’m assuming you’re speaking to me … if your comment was rhetorical … forgive me this indulgence

no … what you see is what i hear when conveying abstract to less abstract … language and reading are the greatest of all gifts we are given in our human form and i relish the use

the post you reference is natural … other posts are deliberate in use of outrage and exaggeration … habit developed in milieu where insults are only tolerable if dressed in effusive language and humour successful or otherwise … milieu

in the world of blogging commentary involves risk … offending where no offence is intended … while finding an appreciative audience narrowing as common experience narrows … as a student i was educated in the classic british tradition … at home and in school

parents and teachers would not tolerate lazy language or refusal to explore literature and language not understand … neither talked-down or dumbed-up speech to benefit lazy tendencies though language was always used as age appropriate

i maintained the standard while teaching at every level

it is held that all language and grammar are valid if comprehension is achieved … i agree to a point and explore cockney and glaswegian patois with utter fascination … ditto phrasing and cadence from boston and new york and states like tennessee and louisiana and texas among many others

i love wordplay and hold that the music in words is as rich as music in any great symphony … poetry is everything … in example i give you wallace stevens and the emporer of ice-cream … brilliant

as for detractors … who cares … there is no excuse for illiteracy in the modern world and if one is challenged by another’s manner of speech … too bad … no one betrays ignorance quicker than those who attempt to mock that which they refuse to understand

rather than scramble for blunt retort retrieved from the vacuous reaches of sloped skulls the likes of c9castine and other inarticulates slobs polluting these boards with a limited imagination and a zero gift for humour … the fools should

crack a dictionary or a book or some of the world’s great newspapers and journals and learn to learn

• c9castine - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM

buddy, im as well read as anybody, trust me. as much as i do have strong opinions i tend to try to limit the blabber and talk about hockey, and refrain from tossing around insults like slobs as much as I can.

i also really don’t need to try to make myself look “intelligent” or “articulate” by stringing together broken sentences of irrational thought, and it also not funny at all. blomfeld does at least have a slight amount of humor to his otherwise equally ridiculous and irrelevant posts.

next time you try to qualify your brain power simply by telling another to “crack a dictionary or a book…” realize you have no idea who is the recipient of your message, and he (or she) may or may not be much more educated than yourself.

either way, it won’t be decided on PHT, that much I know.

9. joey4id - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Ovi at -31 is next to last followed by Yakupov at -33. Oops! Wrong stat. :-)

• machosasquatcho - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Blomfeld, nothing you say has any credibility or relevance. You make people stupider simply by being in this thread, which is magnified by you actually commenting on it. I and many others here genuinely hope you never comment again.

You should be ashamed.

• joey4id - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:13 PM

hahahahahaha. Because your posts are overflowing with intelligence. You’re just an internet bully hiding behind a keyboard. You’re a phony, and no threat to me.

Ashamed. Hahahahaha! You’re a tool. I’ll stay here and piss you off as long as you’re here. And the great thing about it, I don’t even have to try.

• thailer35 - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Dude, I love proving Joey wrong as much as the next guy, but did your girlfriend just dump you or something? I promise, life get’s better after highschool. Just hang tough buddy.

• c9castine - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:18 PM

the old pot and kettle.

• machosasquatcho - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM

lol ok blomfeld. Shut up.

• joey4id - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:17 PM

My name is Joey, and you won’t shut me up. GTFOOH! Hahahahaha. Idiot.

• blomfeld - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:39 PM

STAND DOWN JOEY !

Forward ‘shock’ units of Army Group Blomfeld are moving into position now … all will be well ! :)

10. sjsharks66 - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:15 PM

thailer35 the jig is up. If that is your real name. The only reason this conspiracy theory was brought up was to turn everyone against Jason. Who else would want Jason out of the picture? I’ll tell you…Halford.

As noted the chip and chase. Obviously just a ploy to get trust between the two. Now, when Jason least expects it.. BOOM the “truth” is dropped by thailer35 ( aka Halford ). Now that we cant trust Jason anymore, where else will we get all this sweet news from? That’s right! Halford’s artcles! Just look at all the comments on this article and how empty the newer Halford articles are. He just couldn’t let Jason’s articles get all the page hits and comments.

Give it up…we got you thailer35…

• thailer35 - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:23 PM

And I would have gotten away with it if it weren’t for those meddling kids!

Just kidding. I only wish I could have a job as cool as Halford does. But solid work coming up with that!

This thread today is fantastic. Keeping me quite entertained at work while waiting to go to the Coyotes-Panthers game. Game days always seem to go by the slowest.

• ibieiniid - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM

alright sjsharks66, I take back everything bad I said about you. that was awesome… and most likely true.

11. muckleflugga - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM

c9castine

when i have the time i study commentary in these boards while looking beyond subject … there is good entertainment available … some of the so-called blabber is almost art … blomfeld dumbassgreg et al

pedantic regurgitation of the obvious or of other people’s ideas is simply a bore

you are in a class of posters who post good information for the most part but are burdened by presumption of right to regulate the list by dismissing others outright … typically with juvenile half sentence one-offs littered with terms like douchebag pos or other food for impoverished minds … fine …

grab a hard hat and climb a tree when and if you do because there are bears lurking in the woods that will eat you whole …

i offered-up an opinion on value of statistics based on experience dearly bought with coin of the realm … in keeping with maturity common to a junior high cafeteria gossip thread you dismissed it outright without fundamental courtesy or manners to offer intelligent counter … piss off you shallow-minded numpty

you do yourself and other listees disservice by using blunt stupidity as a weapon where intelligent argument might incite further discussion

my commentary and that of others is not constituted of effort to sound intelligent articulate or educated … in my experience those qualities are implicit whereas attack for possession of those qualities is invariably delivered by those bereft of wit or willingness to engage wit … equally implicit

stupid is as stupid does

as for humour … like reading humour involves a transaction … you bring your experience to the exercise and i mine … the witless in these transactions fail to understand humour is found in the tension compelling a connection of ideas …

largely because they shut out that which they do not understand … research read and study that which escapes your grasp … i do it every time i enter the information highway

as for form … i like to experiment with the connection of ideas in text limited by blogger boards … if you’re troubled by my explorations without intelligent enquiry or input ask me if i give a fat rat’s ass … as far as i’m concerned you’re a non-entity unless you’re open to the ideas and expression of others

in the meantime … engage me with rudeness or incivility and i will kick your ass up and down these boards until you holler mama … you have no idea how far you are out of your depth sonny jim

attack my arguments with reason i will offer you respect in return … perhaps we can learn from each-other

Flyers have many concerns