Mar 17, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins may be on a two-game losing streak, but at least they can still say they have the best special teams in the NHL.
The following shows the combined power-play and penalty-kill rates for all 30 teams. The Pens have the top-ranked PP and the third-ranked PK.
As you can see, the poor Panthers are dead last in the combined category, and by a wide margin. Florida ranks 30th in both the PP and the PK. Which makes it tough to win many games, because they’re not the greatest even-strength team either.
The largest disparity between good penalty killing and a poor power play? That would be Winnipeg, with the fifth-ranked PK and 26th-ranked PP. (Honorable mentions: San Jose, Vancouver, and Carolina.)
The largest disparity between a good power play and poor penalty killing? That would be Washington, with the second-ranked PP and 21-st ranked PK. (Honorable mentions: Toronto, Phoenix and Chicago.)
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)