Mar 20, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
People throw out terms like “finding ways to win” a lot in sports, but the Detroit Red Wings are making it difficult to avoid cliches as they keep scrapping their way to playoff contention despite some serious obstacles. Thursday’s 5-4 OT win against the Pittsburgh Penguins captured much of that spirit (with maybe a few extra dashes of oddness).
Let’s just review some of the weird/bad/challenging things the Red Wings faced and ultimately overcame:
- Shortly after a highly questionable cross checking infraction by James Neal, the Penguins changed a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 lead heading into the third period with three goals in about three-and-a-half minutes.
- An injury-depleted team saw more than one lead evaporate; Craig Adams‘ 4-4 goal couldn’t have felt good.
- Neal wasn’t the only important forward to take a shaky penalty. David Legwand received a five-minute major and game misconduct for butt ending Evgeni Malkin in the final minutes of the third. Remarkably, the Red Wings killed off that five-minute power play.
- The Red Wings then won the game with fractions of a second left thanks to a bizarre Daniel Alfredsson goal:
The Red Wings leave themselves in an increasingly promising situation. While they trail wild card teams Toronto and the New York Rangers as well as top bubble team Washington, they have at least two games in hand on each of those teams.
They have some big games remaining, including one more contest against the Maple Leafs (at Toronto on March 29) and the Columbus Blue Jackets (at Nationwide Arena on March 25). The odds still seem stacked against Detroit in some ways, yet they keep proving that they won’t be an easy out.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 11
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 1
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33