Mar 20, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
People throw out terms like “finding ways to win” a lot in sports, but the Detroit Red Wings are making it difficult to avoid cliches as they keep scrapping their way to playoff contention despite some serious obstacles. Thursday’s 5-4 OT win against the Pittsburgh Penguins captured much of that spirit (with maybe a few extra dashes of oddness).
Let’s just review some of the weird/bad/challenging things the Red Wings faced and ultimately overcame:
- Shortly after a highly questionable cross checking infraction by James Neal, the Penguins changed a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 lead heading into the third period with three goals in about three-and-a-half minutes.
- An injury-depleted team saw more than one lead evaporate; Craig Adams‘ 4-4 goal couldn’t have felt good.
- Neal wasn’t the only important forward to take a shaky penalty. David Legwand received a five-minute major and game misconduct for butt ending Evgeni Malkin in the final minutes of the third. Remarkably, the Red Wings killed off that five-minute power play.
- The Red Wings then won the game with fractions of a second left thanks to a bizarre Daniel Alfredsson goal:
The Red Wings leave themselves in an increasingly promising situation. While they trail wild card teams Toronto and the New York Rangers as well as top bubble team Washington, they have at least two games in hand on each of those teams.
They have some big games remaining, including one more contest against the Maple Leafs (at Toronto on March 29) and the Columbus Blue Jackets (at Nationwide Arena on March 25). The odds still seem stacked against Detroit in some ways, yet they keep proving that they won’t be an easy out.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)