Mar 20, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
People throw out terms like “finding ways to win” a lot in sports, but the Detroit Red Wings are making it difficult to avoid cliches as they keep scrapping their way to playoff contention despite some serious obstacles. Thursday’s 5-4 OT win against the Pittsburgh Penguins captured much of that spirit (with maybe a few extra dashes of oddness).
Let’s just review some of the weird/bad/challenging things the Red Wings faced and ultimately overcame:
- Shortly after a highly questionable cross checking infraction by James Neal, the Penguins changed a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 lead heading into the third period with three goals in about three-and-a-half minutes.
- An injury-depleted team saw more than one lead evaporate; Craig Adams‘ 4-4 goal couldn’t have felt good.
- Neal wasn’t the only important forward to take a shaky penalty. David Legwand received a five-minute major and game misconduct for butt ending Evgeni Malkin in the final minutes of the third. Remarkably, the Red Wings killed off that five-minute power play.
- The Red Wings then won the game with fractions of a second left thanks to a bizarre Daniel Alfredsson goal:
The Red Wings leave themselves in an increasingly promising situation. While they trail wild card teams Toronto and the New York Rangers as well as top bubble team Washington, they have at least two games in hand on each of those teams.
They have some big games remaining, including one more contest against the Maple Leafs (at Toronto on March 29) and the Columbus Blue Jackets (at Nationwide Arena on March 25). The odds still seem stacked against Detroit in some ways, yet they keep proving that they won’t be an easy out.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)