Mar 20, 2014, 8:55 PM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins winger James Neal isn’t shy about using his size and strength, for better or worse. It’s a style that’s helped him score a ton of goals and be an impact power forward, but he’s been at risk of supplemental discipline plenty of times, and Thursday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings provides the latest potential example.
Neal received a two-minute minor for cross checking Red Wings forward Luke Glendening, but many believe that he could get a call from a league for that infraction. The Pensblog uploaded a GIF of the hit:
Neal, 26, just returned to action after missing two games with a concussion. He’s piled up quite a reputation with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety during his relatively short career, drawing three suspensions, including a significant five-game one in December 2013.
It seems like Glendening is OK, but PHT will keep an eye out for any injury updates/setbacks if appropriate.
We’ll see if that history factors into any decision the league makes, assuming there is supplemental discipline at all.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 83
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)