Mar 20, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins winger James Neal isn’t shy about using his size and strength, for better or worse. It’s a style that’s helped him score a ton of goals and be an impact power forward, but he’s been at risk of supplemental discipline plenty of times, and Thursday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings provides the latest potential example.
Neal received a two-minute minor for cross checking Red Wings forward Luke Glendening, but many believe that he could get a call from a league for that infraction. The Pensblog uploaded a GIF of the hit:
Neal, 26, just returned to action after missing two games with a concussion. He’s piled up quite a reputation with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety during his relatively short career, drawing three suspensions, including a significant five-game one in December 2013.
It seems like Glendening is OK, but PHT will keep an eye out for any injury updates/setbacks if appropriate.
We’ll see if that history factors into any decision the league makes, assuming there is supplemental discipline at all.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (38)