Mar 20, 2014, 8:55 PM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins winger James Neal isn’t shy about using his size and strength, for better or worse. It’s a style that’s helped him score a ton of goals and be an impact power forward, but he’s been at risk of supplemental discipline plenty of times, and Thursday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings provides the latest potential example.
Neal received a two-minute minor for cross checking Red Wings forward Luke Glendening, but many believe that he could get a call from a league for that infraction. The Pensblog uploaded a GIF of the hit:
Neal, 26, just returned to action after missing two games with a concussion. He’s piled up quite a reputation with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety during his relatively short career, drawing three suspensions, including a significant five-game one in December 2013.
It seems like Glendening is OK, but PHT will keep an eye out for any injury updates/setbacks if appropriate.
We’ll see if that history factors into any decision the league makes, assuming there is supplemental discipline at all.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)