Mar 20, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins winger James Neal isn’t shy about using his size and strength, for better or worse. It’s a style that’s helped him score a ton of goals and be an impact power forward, but he’s been at risk of supplemental discipline plenty of times, and Thursday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings provides the latest potential example.
Neal received a two-minute minor for cross checking Red Wings forward Luke Glendening, but many believe that he could get a call from a league for that infraction. The Pensblog uploaded a GIF of the hit:
Neal, 26, just returned to action after missing two games with a concussion. He’s piled up quite a reputation with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety during his relatively short career, drawing three suspensions, including a significant five-game one in December 2013.
It seems like Glendening is OK, but PHT will keep an eye out for any injury updates/setbacks if appropriate.
We’ll see if that history factors into any decision the league makes, assuming there is supplemental discipline at all.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)