Mar 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
The union of goaltender Ryan Miller and St. Louis has been nearly perfect since he was acquired from the Buffalo Sabres. Chicago provided the first real blemish tonight in a 4-0 victory over the Blues.
Miller allowed four goals on 27 shots in his first regulation defeat with St. Louis. It was also the first time he had been yanked from a game since the trade as Ben Smith‘s power-play goal at 7:35 of the third period ended his night.
Showing off their scoring depth, the Blackhawks other goals came from Duncan Keith, Andrew Shaw, and Marcus Kruger. Meanwhile, goaltender Corey Crawford turned aside 23 shots to earn his second shutout of the 2013-14 campaign.
This was also a big night for Joel Quenneville, who became just the third coach in NHL history to win 700 career games.
The news wasn’t all good for Chicago though. Patrick Kane was forced to leave the contest after suffering a potential ankle or knee injury. The preliminary assessment is that he’ll miss the next two weeks.
St. Louis still has a comfortable six-point cushion on Chicago in the battle for the Central Division title, but the Blackhawks did gain a critical point on Colorado as the Avalanche suffered a 5-4 overtime loss to Winnipeg.
Tonight is the first loss in regulation against a division opponent this season. The Blues are 20-1-2 in the Central. #stlblues
— St. Louis Blues (@StLouisBlues) March 20, 2014
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (42)