Mar 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
The union of goaltender Ryan Miller and St. Louis has been nearly perfect since he was acquired from the Buffalo Sabres. Chicago provided the first real blemish tonight in a 4-0 victory over the Blues.
Miller allowed four goals on 27 shots in his first regulation defeat with St. Louis. It was also the first time he had been yanked from a game since the trade as Ben Smith‘s power-play goal at 7:35 of the third period ended his night.
Showing off their scoring depth, the Blackhawks other goals came from Duncan Keith, Andrew Shaw, and Marcus Kruger. Meanwhile, goaltender Corey Crawford turned aside 23 shots to earn his second shutout of the 2013-14 campaign.
This was also a big night for Joel Quenneville, who became just the third coach in NHL history to win 700 career games.
The news wasn’t all good for Chicago though. Patrick Kane was forced to leave the contest after suffering a potential ankle or knee injury. The preliminary assessment is that he’ll miss the next two weeks.
St. Louis still has a comfortable six-point cushion on Chicago in the battle for the Central Division title, but the Blackhawks did gain a critical point on Colorado as the Avalanche suffered a 5-4 overtime loss to Winnipeg.
Tonight is the first loss in regulation against a division opponent this season. The Blues are 20-1-2 in the Central. #stlblues
— St. Louis Blues (@StLouisBlues) March 20, 2014
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)