Mar 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
The union of goaltender Ryan Miller and St. Louis has been nearly perfect since he was acquired from the Buffalo Sabres. Chicago provided the first real blemish tonight in a 4-0 victory over the Blues.
Miller allowed four goals on 27 shots in his first regulation defeat with St. Louis. It was also the first time he had been yanked from a game since the trade as Ben Smith‘s power-play goal at 7:35 of the third period ended his night.
Showing off their scoring depth, the Blackhawks other goals came from Duncan Keith, Andrew Shaw, and Marcus Kruger. Meanwhile, goaltender Corey Crawford turned aside 23 shots to earn his second shutout of the 2013-14 campaign.
This was also a big night for Joel Quenneville, who became just the third coach in NHL history to win 700 career games.
The news wasn’t all good for Chicago though. Patrick Kane was forced to leave the contest after suffering a potential ankle or knee injury. The preliminary assessment is that he’ll miss the next two weeks.
St. Louis still has a comfortable six-point cushion on Chicago in the battle for the Central Division title, but the Blackhawks did gain a critical point on Colorado as the Avalanche suffered a 5-4 overtime loss to Winnipeg.
Tonight is the first loss in regulation against a division opponent this season. The Blues are 20-1-2 in the Central. #stlblues
— St. Louis Blues (@StLouisBlues) March 20, 2014
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)