Mar 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
The union of goaltender Ryan Miller and St. Louis has been nearly perfect since he was acquired from the Buffalo Sabres. Chicago provided the first real blemish tonight in a 4-0 victory over the Blues.
Miller allowed four goals on 27 shots in his first regulation defeat with St. Louis. It was also the first time he had been yanked from a game since the trade as Ben Smith‘s power-play goal at 7:35 of the third period ended his night.
Showing off their scoring depth, the Blackhawks other goals came from Duncan Keith, Andrew Shaw, and Marcus Kruger. Meanwhile, goaltender Corey Crawford turned aside 23 shots to earn his second shutout of the 2013-14 campaign.
This was also a big night for Joel Quenneville, who became just the third coach in NHL history to win 700 career games.
The news wasn’t all good for Chicago though. Patrick Kane was forced to leave the contest after suffering a potential ankle or knee injury. The preliminary assessment is that he’ll miss the next two weeks.
St. Louis still has a comfortable six-point cushion on Chicago in the battle for the Central Division title, but the Blackhawks did gain a critical point on Colorado as the Avalanche suffered a 5-4 overtime loss to Winnipeg.
Tonight is the first loss in regulation against a division opponent this season. The Blues are 20-1-2 in the Central. #stlblues
— St. Louis Blues (@StLouisBlues) March 20, 2014
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)