Mar 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Much like fellow East power Boston, the Pittsburgh Penguins handled a team that needed two points a whole lot more than they did on Tuesday. Sidney Crosby produced a three-point performance in spoiling Kari Lehtonen‘s return for the Dallas Stars, who fell to the Penguins by a discouraging score of 5-1 tonight.
The Penguins were likely frustrated coming off two weekend losses to the Philadelphia Flyers and the Stars felt the brunt of that irritation. Here are the three goals Crosby was involved in points-wise, giving him 91 in 68 contests (after two pointless games against Philly, by the way):
The Stars are a high octane team with a shaky defense, so maybe it’s not so shocking to see this squad experience ups and downs. Regardless, it’s poorly timed; they’ve lost three in a row while looking vulnerable in their own end, as they’ve lost their last two by a troubling combined total of 12-3.
Dallas faces the very Flyers team that frustrated the Penguins in its next game, as they travel to Philly on Thursday. After that, it’s three-of-four at home before a challenging set of road games, so the Stars don’t have a lot of time to lick their wounds.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 28
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)