Mar 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Much like fellow East power Boston, the Pittsburgh Penguins handled a team that needed two points a whole lot more than they did on Tuesday. Sidney Crosby produced a three-point performance in spoiling Kari Lehtonen‘s return for the Dallas Stars, who fell to the Penguins by a discouraging score of 5-1 tonight.
The Penguins were likely frustrated coming off two weekend losses to the Philadelphia Flyers and the Stars felt the brunt of that irritation. Here are the three goals Crosby was involved in points-wise, giving him 91 in 68 contests (after two pointless games against Philly, by the way):
The Stars are a high octane team with a shaky defense, so maybe it’s not so shocking to see this squad experience ups and downs. Regardless, it’s poorly timed; they’ve lost three in a row while looking vulnerable in their own end, as they’ve lost their last two by a troubling combined total of 12-3.
Dallas faces the very Flyers team that frustrated the Penguins in its next game, as they travel to Philly on Thursday. After that, it’s three-of-four at home before a challenging set of road games, so the Stars don’t have a lot of time to lick their wounds.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 2
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)