Mar 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Much like fellow East power Boston, the Pittsburgh Penguins handled a team that needed two points a whole lot more than they did on Tuesday. Sidney Crosby produced a three-point performance in spoiling Kari Lehtonen‘s return for the Dallas Stars, who fell to the Penguins by a discouraging score of 5-1 tonight.
The Penguins were likely frustrated coming off two weekend losses to the Philadelphia Flyers and the Stars felt the brunt of that irritation. Here are the three goals Crosby was involved in points-wise, giving him 91 in 68 contests (after two pointless games against Philly, by the way):
The Stars are a high octane team with a shaky defense, so maybe it’s not so shocking to see this squad experience ups and downs. Regardless, it’s poorly timed; they’ve lost three in a row while looking vulnerable in their own end, as they’ve lost their last two by a troubling combined total of 12-3.
Dallas faces the very Flyers team that frustrated the Penguins in its next game, as they travel to Philly on Thursday. After that, it’s three-of-four at home before a challenging set of road games, so the Stars don’t have a lot of time to lick their wounds.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)