Mar 12, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Rich Peverley‘s season is over. Whether the 31-year-old Stars forward still has an NHL career has yet to be determined.
For now, the plan is for Peverley to undergo a heart procedure at the Cleveland Clinic — a procedure that was originally scheduled for the off-season, but has understandably been pushed up after he suffered a “cardiac event” and collapsed on the bench Monday in a game versus the Blue Jackets in Dallas.
Stars blog DefendingBigD covered today’s press conference in Dallas, which included Peverley, coach Lindy Ruff, general manager Jim Nill and team doctors Robert Dimeff and William Robertson.
Peverley is signed through next season for a cap hit of $3.25 million.
Update: Here’s Peverley offering his gratitude to those who helped him, and also all those who lent their support:
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)