Feb 28, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Johan Franzen had a big night on Thursday as his hat trick performance led Detroit to a 6-1 victory, but with the game already decided, Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil tried to get something going.
Neil seemed intent on picking a fight with Franzen and even removed the Red Wings forward’s helmet. The officials quickly got involved, preventing the incident from potentially escalating further between Neil and a player that returned from a concussion on Wednesday.
You can see what happened here:
Both players ended up receiving misconducts and Neil got roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties thrown on top of that. Afterwards, Franzen was very open about his feelings regarding Neil.
“He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero,” Franzen said, per the Ottawa Citizen. “Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there.
“He doesn’t like to take heat from fans and coaches, he usually steps up when the game is over and shows he really fights hard.”
Senators coach Paul MacLean shrugged off the incident as just part of the game.
This was a tough loss for the Senators as they missed a critical opportunity to gain ground on Detroit in the race for a playoff spot. Ottawa is now five points shy of the Red Wings and the second Wild Card spot they possess.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 8
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)