Feb 28, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Johan Franzen had a big night on Thursday as his hat trick performance led Detroit to a 6-1 victory, but with the game already decided, Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil tried to get something going.
Neil seemed intent on picking a fight with Franzen and even removed the Red Wings forward’s helmet. The officials quickly got involved, preventing the incident from potentially escalating further between Neil and a player that returned from a concussion on Wednesday.
You can see what happened here:
Both players ended up receiving misconducts and Neil got roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties thrown on top of that. Afterwards, Franzen was very open about his feelings regarding Neil.
“He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero,” Franzen said, per the Ottawa Citizen. “Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there.
“He doesn’t like to take heat from fans and coaches, he usually steps up when the game is over and shows he really fights hard.”
Senators coach Paul MacLean shrugged off the incident as just part of the game.
This was a tough loss for the Senators as they missed a critical opportunity to gain ground on Detroit in the race for a playoff spot. Ottawa is now five points shy of the Red Wings and the second Wild Card spot they possess.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)