Feb 27, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators goaltender Andrew Hammond’s dream is coming true tonight as he made his NHL debut, but he probably didn’t think it would happen like this.
The 26-year-old netminder with 33 games worth of AHL experience entered the contest as Robin Lehner‘s understudy because Craig Anderson is with his family for the birth of his child. Under normal circumstances, Nathan Lawson might have gotten the call over Hammond, but as TSN’s Steve Lloyd noted, Lawson had just returned from an injury.
Warming the bench was expected to be the highlight of Hammond’s stint with the team, but Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen had other plans.
Franzen beat Lehner three times tonight and the Senators goaltender allowed six goals on just 15 shots before he was mercifully pulled 25:04 minutes into the contest.
This was Franzen’s first hat trick since Nov. 8, 2011. It also continues his trend of dominating the Senators. He now has 12 goals in roughly eight and a half games against Ottawa, including his stunning five-goal night on Feb. 2, 2011.
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 6
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 6
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 37
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)