Feb 28, 2014, 3:56 PM EST
Regular readers will already know my feelings on the shootout, so I’d be remiss not to pass along Calgary general manager Brian Burke’s.
Burke made those comments today at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, where, by the way, he’s always a big hit with the stats enthusiasts.
But back to Burke’s anti-shootout comments, because those were just the latest from an NHL general manager. Dave Nonis and Ken Holland have also called for ways to reduce the significant number of shootouts that are deciding games, including extending overtime and introducing 3-on-3 overtime.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 30
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32