Feb 28, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Regular readers will already know my feelings on the shootout, so I’d be remiss not to pass along Calgary general manager Brian Burke’s.
Burke made those comments today at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, where, by the way, he’s always a big hit with the stats enthusiasts.
But back to Burke’s anti-shootout comments, because those were just the latest from an NHL general manager. Dave Nonis and Ken Holland have also called for ways to reduce the significant number of shootouts that are deciding games, including extending overtime and introducing 3-on-3 overtime.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 38
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 16
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)