Feb 28, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Regular readers will already know my feelings on the shootout, so I’d be remiss not to pass along Calgary general manager Brian Burke’s.
Burke made those comments today at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, where, by the way, he’s always a big hit with the stats enthusiasts.
But back to Burke’s anti-shootout comments, because those were just the latest from an NHL general manager. Dave Nonis and Ken Holland have also called for ways to reduce the significant number of shootouts that are deciding games, including extending overtime and introducing 3-on-3 overtime.
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 33
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 18
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 46
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)