Nov 12, 2013, 4:34 PM EDT
You may recall back in September when we wrote about 3-on-3 overtime (if nobody scores 4-on-4) and the apparent momentum the idea was gaining among NHL general managers.
Today at the GM meetings in Toronto, one of the idea’s main advocates — Detroit’s Ken Holland — cited an appetite among his counterparts to extend OT as a way to reduce the number of games being decided by a shootout.
A pair of tweets from the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman:
There have already been 39 games decided by the shootout this season — the Los Angeles Kings are already 4-0 in the so-called skills competition; the New Jersey Devils are 0-4 — and that’s too many for GMs like Holland, who’s said in the past, “I’d like to have more games decided playing hockey.”
Of course, there are those who don’t consider 3-on-3 “playing hockey”any more than they consider the shootout “playing hockey”; hence, the ongoing debate.
For now, no changes are imminent. But expect the topic to be broached once again in March when the GMs get together for their annual spring meeting.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)