Feb 27, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
How far would you go to be comfortable in your own bed, able to get a good night sleep?
According to The Denver Post, Matt Duchene, a member of Canada’s gold-medal winning hockey team, considered having a duplicate Essentia bed shipped to Sochi for the Olympics, before opting against that due to any complications there might’ve been trying to get something like that over to Russia.
“We had heard it was impossible to get stuff in and out (through customs), so I told him ‘Hey, don’t bother. It probably won’t even get there,’” Duchene told The Denver Post.
“But that would have been nice to have one of those over there. I don’t know if I would have had enough room in my room for it, but I’ll tell you one thing: I slept like a baby when I got back here. Hard to get out of bed the last couple days.”
Now, we had all seen the various photos athletes had been sending out via social media of their living accommodations in the athletes’ village. They looked, to say the least, a little cramped. But, according to Sidney Crosby, they weren’t too different from conditions in Vancouver.
“Pretty similar to Vancouver,” Crosby said of the 2010 Games, prior to the 2014 tournament.
“Not quite that tight, but we had three guys in a room, and I think (Boston Bruins star Patrice) Bergeron was sleeping in a closet. … To house that many athletes in that small a (town), it’s probably what you’re going to see.”
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)