Feb 27, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
How far would you go to be comfortable in your own bed, able to get a good night sleep?
According to The Denver Post, Matt Duchene, a member of Canada’s gold-medal winning hockey team, considered having a duplicate Essentia bed shipped to Sochi for the Olympics, before opting against that due to any complications there might’ve been trying to get something like that over to Russia.
“We had heard it was impossible to get stuff in and out (through customs), so I told him ‘Hey, don’t bother. It probably won’t even get there,’” Duchene told The Denver Post.
“But that would have been nice to have one of those over there. I don’t know if I would have had enough room in my room for it, but I’ll tell you one thing: I slept like a baby when I got back here. Hard to get out of bed the last couple days.”
Now, we had all seen the various photos athletes had been sending out via social media of their living accommodations in the athletes’ village. They looked, to say the least, a little cramped. But, according to Sidney Crosby, they weren’t too different from conditions in Vancouver.
“Pretty similar to Vancouver,” Crosby said of the 2010 Games, prior to the 2014 tournament.
“Not quite that tight, but we had three guys in a room, and I think (Boston Bruins star Patrice) Bergeron was sleeping in a closet. … To house that many athletes in that small a (town), it’s probably what you’re going to see.”
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)