Feb 27, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
How far would you go to be comfortable in your own bed, able to get a good night sleep?
According to The Denver Post, Matt Duchene, a member of Canada’s gold-medal winning hockey team, considered having a duplicate Essentia bed shipped to Sochi for the Olympics, before opting against that due to any complications there might’ve been trying to get something like that over to Russia.
“We had heard it was impossible to get stuff in and out (through customs), so I told him ‘Hey, don’t bother. It probably won’t even get there,’” Duchene told The Denver Post.
“But that would have been nice to have one of those over there. I don’t know if I would have had enough room in my room for it, but I’ll tell you one thing: I slept like a baby when I got back here. Hard to get out of bed the last couple days.”
Now, we had all seen the various photos athletes had been sending out via social media of their living accommodations in the athletes’ village. They looked, to say the least, a little cramped. But, according to Sidney Crosby, they weren’t too different from conditions in Vancouver.
“Pretty similar to Vancouver,” Crosby said of the 2010 Games, prior to the 2014 tournament.
“Not quite that tight, but we had three guys in a room, and I think (Boston Bruins star Patrice) Bergeron was sleeping in a closet. … To house that many athletes in that small a (town), it’s probably what you’re going to see.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)