Feb 27, 2014, 11:36 PM EST
How far would you go to be comfortable in your own bed, able to get a good night sleep?
According to The Denver Post, Matt Duchene, a member of Canada’s gold-medal winning hockey team, considered having a duplicate Essentia bed shipped to Sochi for the Olympics, before opting against that due to any complications there might’ve been trying to get something like that over to Russia.
“We had heard it was impossible to get stuff in and out (through customs), so I told him ‘Hey, don’t bother. It probably won’t even get there,’” Duchene told The Denver Post.
“But that would have been nice to have one of those over there. I don’t know if I would have had enough room in my room for it, but I’ll tell you one thing: I slept like a baby when I got back here. Hard to get out of bed the last couple days.”
Now, we had all seen the various photos athletes had been sending out via social media of their living accommodations in the athletes’ village. They looked, to say the least, a little cramped. But, according to Sidney Crosby, they weren’t too different from conditions in Vancouver.
“Pretty similar to Vancouver,” Crosby said of the 2010 Games, prior to the 2014 tournament.
“Not quite that tight, but we had three guys in a room, and I think (Boston Bruins star Patrice) Bergeron was sleeping in a closet. … To house that many athletes in that small a (town), it’s probably what you’re going to see.”
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 16
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 5
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)