Feb 27, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
How far would you go to be comfortable in your own bed, able to get a good night sleep?
According to The Denver Post, Matt Duchene, a member of Canada’s gold-medal winning hockey team, considered having a duplicate Essentia bed shipped to Sochi for the Olympics, before opting against that due to any complications there might’ve been trying to get something like that over to Russia.
“We had heard it was impossible to get stuff in and out (through customs), so I told him ‘Hey, don’t bother. It probably won’t even get there,’” Duchene told The Denver Post.
“But that would have been nice to have one of those over there. I don’t know if I would have had enough room in my room for it, but I’ll tell you one thing: I slept like a baby when I got back here. Hard to get out of bed the last couple days.”
Now, we had all seen the various photos athletes had been sending out via social media of their living accommodations in the athletes’ village. They looked, to say the least, a little cramped. But, according to Sidney Crosby, they weren’t too different from conditions in Vancouver.
“Pretty similar to Vancouver,” Crosby said of the 2010 Games, prior to the 2014 tournament.
“Not quite that tight, but we had three guys in a room, and I think (Boston Bruins star Patrice) Bergeron was sleeping in a closet. … To house that many athletes in that small a (town), it’s probably what you’re going to see.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)