Feb 5, 2014, 11:09 AM EST
Yesterday, this picture from the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno was making the rounds…
That’s a snapshot of the accommodations NHL players will be utilizing when they get to Sochi — single beds, three to a room, shared bathrooms, etc. The works.
The size and style of the rooms has garnered a lot of attention on social media and across the Internet, with many wondering how NHLers will adjust to cramped quarters. One player that doesn’t seem fazed by the potential of bunking up, though, is Canadian captain Sidney Crosby.
As reports from Russia filtered in Tuesday about the cramped quarters of the Olympic Village for Canadian hockey players, many were aghast at the twin beds and three-to-a-room format.
Not Sidney Crosby, who gave a figurative shrug.
“Pretty similar to Vancouver,” he said, referring to the 2010 Games. “Not quite that tight, but we had three guys in a room, and I think (Boston Bruins star Patrice) Bergeron was sleeping in a closet. … To house that many athletes in that small a (town), it’s probably what you’re going to see.”
Other players have chimed in as well, saying they won’t be bothered by the rooms. Tampa Bay forward Steve Stamkos said he’s not that far removed from his youth days of bunking up with teammates, noting only one thing would make the situation uncomfortable.
“I remember playing an under-17 tournament and we had little dorm-style (rooms) like that,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “You just hope you don’t have anyone who snores in the room.
“That’s my only concern.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)