Feb 5, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Yesterday, this picture from the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno was making the rounds…
That’s a snapshot of the accommodations NHL players will be utilizing when they get to Sochi — single beds, three to a room, shared bathrooms, etc. The works.
The size and style of the rooms has garnered a lot of attention on social media and across the Internet, with many wondering how NHLers will adjust to cramped quarters. One player that doesn’t seem fazed by the potential of bunking up, though, is Canadian captain Sidney Crosby.
As reports from Russia filtered in Tuesday about the cramped quarters of the Olympic Village for Canadian hockey players, many were aghast at the twin beds and three-to-a-room format.
Not Sidney Crosby, who gave a figurative shrug.
“Pretty similar to Vancouver,” he said, referring to the 2010 Games. “Not quite that tight, but we had three guys in a room, and I think (Boston Bruins star Patrice) Bergeron was sleeping in a closet. … To house that many athletes in that small a (town), it’s probably what you’re going to see.”
Other players have chimed in as well, saying they won’t be bothered by the rooms. Tampa Bay forward Steve Stamkos said he’s not that far removed from his youth days of bunking up with teammates, noting only one thing would make the situation uncomfortable.
“I remember playing an under-17 tournament and we had little dorm-style (rooms) like that,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “You just hope you don’t have anyone who snores in the room.
“That’s my only concern.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)