Feb 5, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Yesterday, this picture from the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno was making the rounds…
That’s a snapshot of the accommodations NHL players will be utilizing when they get to Sochi — single beds, three to a room, shared bathrooms, etc. The works.
The size and style of the rooms has garnered a lot of attention on social media and across the Internet, with many wondering how NHLers will adjust to cramped quarters. One player that doesn’t seem fazed by the potential of bunking up, though, is Canadian captain Sidney Crosby.
As reports from Russia filtered in Tuesday about the cramped quarters of the Olympic Village for Canadian hockey players, many were aghast at the twin beds and three-to-a-room format.
Not Sidney Crosby, who gave a figurative shrug.
“Pretty similar to Vancouver,” he said, referring to the 2010 Games. “Not quite that tight, but we had three guys in a room, and I think (Boston Bruins star Patrice) Bergeron was sleeping in a closet. … To house that many athletes in that small a (town), it’s probably what you’re going to see.”
Other players have chimed in as well, saying they won’t be bothered by the rooms. Tampa Bay forward Steve Stamkos said he’s not that far removed from his youth days of bunking up with teammates, noting only one thing would make the situation uncomfortable.
“I remember playing an under-17 tournament and we had little dorm-style (rooms) like that,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “You just hope you don’t have anyone who snores in the room.
“That’s my only concern.”
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)