Feb 5, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Yesterday, this picture from the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno was making the rounds…
That’s a snapshot of the accommodations NHL players will be utilizing when they get to Sochi — single beds, three to a room, shared bathrooms, etc. The works.
The size and style of the rooms has garnered a lot of attention on social media and across the Internet, with many wondering how NHLers will adjust to cramped quarters. One player that doesn’t seem fazed by the potential of bunking up, though, is Canadian captain Sidney Crosby.
As reports from Russia filtered in Tuesday about the cramped quarters of the Olympic Village for Canadian hockey players, many were aghast at the twin beds and three-to-a-room format.
Not Sidney Crosby, who gave a figurative shrug.
“Pretty similar to Vancouver,” he said, referring to the 2010 Games. “Not quite that tight, but we had three guys in a room, and I think (Boston Bruins star Patrice) Bergeron was sleeping in a closet. … To house that many athletes in that small a (town), it’s probably what you’re going to see.”
Other players have chimed in as well, saying they won’t be bothered by the rooms. Tampa Bay forward Steve Stamkos said he’s not that far removed from his youth days of bunking up with teammates, noting only one thing would make the situation uncomfortable.
“I remember playing an under-17 tournament and we had little dorm-style (rooms) like that,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “You just hope you don’t have anyone who snores in the room.
“That’s my only concern.”
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39