Feb 26, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers were supposed to at least compete for a playoff spot this season. Instead they have the second worst record in the NHL.
It certainly hasn’t been the rookie campaign that head coach Dallas Eakins had hoped for and he’s well aware of the fact that he could be fired.
For what it’s worth though, Oilers GM Craig MacTavish is publicly standing by the bench boss.
“I still feel strongly Dallas Eakins is going to be the guy to lead this group for a long time,” MacTavish told the Edmonton Sun.
He added, “In my mind, Dallas has had a lot to deal with this year and he’s been unflappable every day I’ve dealt with him.”
Of course, it wouldn’t be unprecedented for a general manager to support a coach and then fire him, but at some point the Oilers need to try sticking with a bench boss. Eakins is the team’s fifth coach in six seasons. To put it another way, Taylor Hall is just 22 years old and he’s already on his third NHL coach.
That seems to be a point that MacTavish agrees with as he went on to speak of the need for the Oilers to have consistency in message and coaching. Perhaps if they manage that then their results won’t be so consistently bad.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)