Feb 26, 2014, 10:10 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers were supposed to at least compete for a playoff spot this season. Instead they have the second worst record in the NHL.
It certainly hasn’t been the rookie campaign that head coach Dallas Eakins had hoped for and he’s well aware of the fact that he could be fired.
For what it’s worth though, Oilers GM Craig MacTavish is publicly standing by the bench boss.
“I still feel strongly Dallas Eakins is going to be the guy to lead this group for a long time,” MacTavish told the Edmonton Sun.
He added, “In my mind, Dallas has had a lot to deal with this year and he’s been unflappable every day I’ve dealt with him.”
Of course, it wouldn’t be unprecedented for a general manager to support a coach and then fire him, but at some point the Oilers need to try sticking with a bench boss. Eakins is the team’s fifth coach in six seasons. To put it another way, Taylor Hall is just 22 years old and he’s already on his third NHL coach.
That seems to be a point that MacTavish agrees with as he went on to speak of the need for the Oilers to have consistency in message and coaching. Perhaps if they manage that then their results won’t be so consistently bad.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 0
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 12
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)