Feb 23, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
With uncertainty surrounding the New Jersey Devils goaltending situation in the days before the NHL trade deadline, it’s possible minor-league goalie Keith Kinkaid might be in line for a promotion.
Martin Brodeur, the 41-year-old goalie who has spent his entire career in New Jersey dating back to the 1991-92 season when he broke into the league, is in the final year of his current contract and may be asked to waive his no-trade clause before the March 5 trade deadline, as per a report last week.
That leaves Cory Schneider and possibly the 24-year-old Kinkaid, who has one game of NHL experience and has been playing for the past three seasons with Albany in the AHL.
“Whether that decision is made (to trade Brodeur), that’s not for me to decide, Keith certainly keeps taking steps in the right direction and he’s been outstanding for us all year,” Albany’s head coach Rick Kowalsky recently told NJ.com.
“And that’s a tough position to crack into in the NHL, but obviously with bringing Schneider in, everything’s changed with Brodeur. Whether it’s a trade or he moves on in retirement, Keith has certainly put himself in a position to come in and be a guy that can slowly continue to develop at the NHL level.”
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)