Feb 23, 2014, 1:45 AM EDT
With uncertainty surrounding the New Jersey Devils goaltending situation in the days before the NHL trade deadline, it’s possible minor-league goalie Keith Kinkaid might be in line for a promotion.
Martin Brodeur, the 41-year-old goalie who has spent his entire career in New Jersey dating back to the 1991-92 season when he broke into the league, is in the final year of his current contract and may be asked to waive his no-trade clause before the March 5 trade deadline, as per a report last week.
That leaves Cory Schneider and possibly the 24-year-old Kinkaid, who has one game of NHL experience and has been playing for the past three seasons with Albany in the AHL.
“Whether that decision is made (to trade Brodeur), that’s not for me to decide, Keith certainly keeps taking steps in the right direction and he’s been outstanding for us all year,” Albany’s head coach Rick Kowalsky recently told NJ.com.
“And that’s a tough position to crack into in the NHL, but obviously with bringing Schneider in, everything’s changed with Brodeur. Whether it’s a trade or he moves on in retirement, Keith has certainly put himself in a position to come in and be a guy that can slowly continue to develop at the NHL level.”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)