Feb 23, 2014, 1:45 AM EDT
With uncertainty surrounding the New Jersey Devils goaltending situation in the days before the NHL trade deadline, it’s possible minor-league goalie Keith Kinkaid might be in line for a promotion.
Martin Brodeur, the 41-year-old goalie who has spent his entire career in New Jersey dating back to the 1991-92 season when he broke into the league, is in the final year of his current contract and may be asked to waive his no-trade clause before the March 5 trade deadline, as per a report last week.
That leaves Cory Schneider and possibly the 24-year-old Kinkaid, who has one game of NHL experience and has been playing for the past three seasons with Albany in the AHL.
“Whether that decision is made (to trade Brodeur), that’s not for me to decide, Keith certainly keeps taking steps in the right direction and he’s been outstanding for us all year,” Albany’s head coach Rick Kowalsky recently told NJ.com.
“And that’s a tough position to crack into in the NHL, but obviously with bringing Schneider in, everything’s changed with Brodeur. Whether it’s a trade or he moves on in retirement, Keith has certainly put himself in a position to come in and be a guy that can slowly continue to develop at the NHL level.”
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)