Feb 23, 2014, 1:45 AM EDT
With uncertainty surrounding the New Jersey Devils goaltending situation in the days before the NHL trade deadline, it’s possible minor-league goalie Keith Kinkaid might be in line for a promotion.
Martin Brodeur, the 41-year-old goalie who has spent his entire career in New Jersey dating back to the 1991-92 season when he broke into the league, is in the final year of his current contract and may be asked to waive his no-trade clause before the March 5 trade deadline, as per a report last week.
That leaves Cory Schneider and possibly the 24-year-old Kinkaid, who has one game of NHL experience and has been playing for the past three seasons with Albany in the AHL.
“Whether that decision is made (to trade Brodeur), that’s not for me to decide, Keith certainly keeps taking steps in the right direction and he’s been outstanding for us all year,” Albany’s head coach Rick Kowalsky recently told NJ.com.
“And that’s a tough position to crack into in the NHL, but obviously with bringing Schneider in, everything’s changed with Brodeur. Whether it’s a trade or he moves on in retirement, Keith has certainly put himself in a position to come in and be a guy that can slowly continue to develop at the NHL level.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)