Feb 20, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
With the National Hockey League’s trade deadline fast approaching, it appears Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur‘s time with organization may be nearing an end sooner than any possible retirement plans.
According to Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger, the 41-year-old Brodeur may be asked to waive his no-trade clause before the March 5 deadline. Brodeur, who has played 1,248 regular season games – all with the Devils – and has recorded 682 wins in that span, not to mention his three Stanley Cup championships, has one year left on a two-year deal worth a cap hit of $4.5 million, as per Capgeek.com.
As players across the league not participating in Sochi took part in their first practices during this Olympic break, there appeared to be a sense of uncertainty about Brodeur’s future with the Devils. Earlier this month, there was a report that Brodeur met with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello to discuss his future.
The addition of goalie Cory Schneider from the Vancouver Canucks last summer has only thickened the plot.
“I don’t know. I haven’t thought about it until I talk to people, and there is nothing planned yet. I’m probably going to wait,” Brodeur said, as per The Star-Ledger.
“I have no indication one way or the other that anything is going to happen. I haven’t discussed it with anybody really about what my plans are going to be for the next 23 games. I haven’t talked to the coach about playing time, either. I’m just going to get back into playing shape for the next seven days and we’ll see if I’m able to get the net.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)