Feb 20, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
With the National Hockey League’s trade deadline fast approaching, it appears Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur‘s time with organization may be nearing an end sooner than any possible retirement plans.
According to Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger, the 41-year-old Brodeur may be asked to waive his no-trade clause before the March 5 deadline. Brodeur, who has played 1,248 regular season games – all with the Devils – and has recorded 682 wins in that span, not to mention his three Stanley Cup championships, has one year left on a two-year deal worth a cap hit of $4.5 million, as per Capgeek.com.
As players across the league not participating in Sochi took part in their first practices during this Olympic break, there appeared to be a sense of uncertainty about Brodeur’s future with the Devils. Earlier this month, there was a report that Brodeur met with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello to discuss his future.
The addition of goalie Cory Schneider from the Vancouver Canucks last summer has only thickened the plot.
“I don’t know. I haven’t thought about it until I talk to people, and there is nothing planned yet. I’m probably going to wait,” Brodeur said, as per The Star-Ledger.
“I have no indication one way or the other that anything is going to happen. I haven’t discussed it with anybody really about what my plans are going to be for the next 23 games. I haven’t talked to the coach about playing time, either. I’m just going to get back into playing shape for the next seven days and we’ll see if I’m able to get the net.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)