Feb 23, 2014, 6:52 AM EST
Teemu Selanne has played in his last Olympic game, but after leading the Finns to a bronze medal as the team captain and leading goal scorer, Finland has selected him for one final task.
The nation has named him as its flag bearer for the closing ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Games, per the IIHF. That’s a big honor, but one he might not be able to partake in.
The problem is that the NHL flights will depart before Selanne would have that opportunity, according to the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle.
That being said, the Boston Bruins allowed defenseman Zdeno Chara to miss two games so that he could be Slovakia’s flag bearer for the opening ceremonies, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented if Anaheim decided to do the same for Selanne. It’s also worth noting that while the NHL schedule resumes on Tuesday, the Ducks won’t play until Friday.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8