Feb 23, 2014, 6:52 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne has played in his last Olympic game, but after leading the Finns to a bronze medal as the team captain and leading goal scorer, Finland has selected him for one final task.
The nation has named him as its flag bearer for the closing ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Games, per the IIHF. That’s a big honor, but one he might not be able to partake in.
The problem is that the NHL flights will depart before Selanne would have that opportunity, according to the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle.
That being said, the Boston Bruins allowed defenseman Zdeno Chara to miss two games so that he could be Slovakia’s flag bearer for the opening ceremonies, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented if Anaheim decided to do the same for Selanne. It’s also worth noting that while the NHL schedule resumes on Tuesday, the Ducks won’t play until Friday.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13