Feb 23, 2014, 6:52 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne has played in his last Olympic game, but after leading the Finns to a bronze medal as the team captain and leading goal scorer, Finland has selected him for one final task.
The nation has named him as its flag bearer for the closing ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Games, per the IIHF. That’s a big honor, but one he might not be able to partake in.
The problem is that the NHL flights will depart before Selanne would have that opportunity, according to the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle.
That being said, the Boston Bruins allowed defenseman Zdeno Chara to miss two games so that he could be Slovakia’s flag bearer for the opening ceremonies, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented if Anaheim decided to do the same for Selanne. It’s also worth noting that while the NHL schedule resumes on Tuesday, the Ducks won’t play until Friday.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)