Feb 23, 2014, 6:52 AM EDT
Teemu Selanne has played in his last Olympic game, but after leading the Finns to a bronze medal as the team captain and leading goal scorer, Finland has selected him for one final task.
The nation has named him as its flag bearer for the closing ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Games, per the IIHF. That’s a big honor, but one he might not be able to partake in.
The problem is that the NHL flights will depart before Selanne would have that opportunity, according to the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle.
That being said, the Boston Bruins allowed defenseman Zdeno Chara to miss two games so that he could be Slovakia’s flag bearer for the opening ceremonies, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented if Anaheim decided to do the same for Selanne. It’s also worth noting that while the NHL schedule resumes on Tuesday, the Ducks won’t play until Friday.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 8
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 37
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 89
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)