Feb 1, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
After some earlier speculation, the Boston Bruins have confirmed that captain Zdeno Chara will miss two games so that he can attend the 2014 Winter Olympics’ opening ceremonies. He will carry the flag for Slovakia.
This will be a great experience for Chara, but it will also put the Bruins in a tough situation. They’ve already been playing without Dennis Seidenberg, so their defense will be a little thin during Chara’s absence.
He’ll be absent for a pair of tough contests too as Boston is set to face the St. Louis Blues on Feb. 6 before playing the division rival Ottawa Senators on Feb. 8.
The Bruins currently hold the Atlantic Division title and they hold a four-point edge on the Tampa Bay Lightning despite having played in one less contest. They’ll try to give themselves a bit more breathing room before the break, even if they’ll have to accomplish that without Chara for part of that stretch.
No prediction from Julien for Adam's retun but "esp w/Zdeno being gone the last couple of games, if he's 100% you want him in the lineup"^CS
— Boston Bruins (@NHLBruins) February 1, 2014
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)