Feb 21, 2014, 2:25 AM EST
It’s been nearly a year since the Colorado Avalanche matched the Calgary Flames’ offer sheet on forward Ryan O’Reilly. On Feb. 28 they’re eligible to trade him if they wish, but the impending restricted free agent is reportedly very much in the team’s plans.
Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Sakic is ready to open up negotiations with O’Reilly over the summer about an extension.
O’Reilly, 22, signed a two-year, $10 million deal last February after not coming to an agreement with the Avs through the start of the season. That’s when Calgary moved in with their offer sheet which the Avalanche didn’t waste any time in matching.
This season, O’Reilly is trying to make the case for a similarly doled out contract with 21 goals and 41 points in 56 games. Those numbers put him fourth on the Avalanche in scoring.
The one big thing in O’Reilly’s situation is his qualifying offer. In order to retain his negotiating rights, they have to extend one to him worth $6.5 million according to CapGeek.com.
The player can always reject the qualifying offer to work on a deal more to their liking, but if talks look like they’ll get rough O’Reilly could accept it and put the Avs on the hook for that amount both in salary and against the cap. If nothing else, that’ll be the perfect motivation for the team to get an extension done no matter what.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)