Feb 21, 2014, 2:25 AM EDT
It’s been nearly a year since the Colorado Avalanche matched the Calgary Flames’ offer sheet on forward Ryan O’Reilly. On Feb. 28 they’re eligible to trade him if they wish, but the impending restricted free agent is reportedly very much in the team’s plans.
Adrian Dater of The Denver Post reports that Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Sakic is ready to open up negotiations with O’Reilly over the summer about an extension.
O’Reilly, 22, signed a two-year, $10 million deal last February after not coming to an agreement with the Avs through the start of the season. That’s when Calgary moved in with their offer sheet which the Avalanche didn’t waste any time in matching.
This season, O’Reilly is trying to make the case for a similarly doled out contract with 21 goals and 41 points in 56 games. Those numbers put him fourth on the Avalanche in scoring.
The one big thing in O’Reilly’s situation is his qualifying offer. In order to retain his negotiating rights, they have to extend one to him worth $6.5 million according to CapGeek.com.
The player can always reject the qualifying offer to work on a deal more to their liking, but if talks look like they’ll get rough O’Reilly could accept it and put the Avs on the hook for that amount both in salary and against the cap. If nothing else, that’ll be the perfect motivation for the team to get an extension done no matter what.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)