Feb 28, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
The Calgary Flames have signed restricted free agent center Ryan O’Reilly to an offer sheet, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
The deal is reportedly for two years with an average annual value of $5 million. O’Reilly, 22, would have a salary of $1 million for this season, plus a $2.5 million signing bonus. Next season, he would be paid $6.5 million.
O’Reilly has been unable to negotiate a new contract with the Colorado Avalanche after leading the club with 55 points in 2011-12.
The Flames confirmed today’s move in a release.
“Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, we will allow the process to transpire,” said general manager Jay Feaster. “We will not provide any further comment until the process is complete.”
Colorado has until March 7 to decide if it will match the offer.
If the Avs refuse to match, the Flames will compensate Colorado with a first- and third-round draft pick.
If the Avs do match, they can’t trade O’Reilly for one calendar year.
Calgary has been searching for help down the middle for some time now. That need only increased when Olli Jokinen departed for Winnipeg this summer.
As TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes, O’Reilly’s salary next season means his team’s qualifying offer for 2014-15 to retain his negotiating rights must be at least $6.5 million.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 0
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 1
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)