Feb 28, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames have signed restricted free agent center Ryan O’Reilly to an offer sheet, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
The deal is reportedly for two years with an average annual value of $5 million. O’Reilly, 22, would have a salary of $1 million for this season, plus a $2.5 million signing bonus. Next season, he would be paid $6.5 million.
O’Reilly has been unable to negotiate a new contract with the Colorado Avalanche after leading the club with 55 points in 2011-12.
The Flames confirmed today’s move in a release.
“Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, we will allow the process to transpire,” said general manager Jay Feaster. “We will not provide any further comment until the process is complete.”
Colorado has until March 7 to decide if it will match the offer.
If the Avs refuse to match, the Flames will compensate Colorado with a first- and third-round draft pick.
If the Avs do match, they can’t trade O’Reilly for one calendar year.
Calgary has been searching for help down the middle for some time now. That need only increased when Olli Jokinen departed for Winnipeg this summer.
As TSN’s Bob McKenzie notes, O’Reilly’s salary next season means his team’s qualifying offer for 2014-15 to retain his negotiating rights must be at least $6.5 million.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 0
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 40
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 73
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks